Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2023, 04:24 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
In the plan it appears the vents were cut on only one side of the ribs, ...

I interpreted the plan's Side View differently. The Side View seems to show little blocks the width of the ribs behind the ribs; my guess is these would have been used as a forward stop or block for the motor. All of that would be consistent with an airframe length of 2-3/8" (about the length of a BT-30K, although in fairness, a BT-30K didn't exist when the Orange Bullet was conceived).

If that interpretation is correct, then there would be three full openings between the ribs, with little balsa blocks about 3/16"W x 1/8"D x 3/8"L, behind each rib in the open area to serve as a motor stop.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 01-16-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I had no idea that the Orange Bullet plan I remember in MRN, or maybe a mailing I got from Estes, was not the original with the vents....

Hey Lee!

That plan presents an OB based on BT/BNC-20 parts; it would for sure have been later. The original was (what we now know as) BT-30 based.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 01-16-2023, 05:23 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
I interpreted the plan's Side View differently. The Side View seems to show little blocks the width of the ribs behind the ribs; my guess is these would have been used as a forward stop or block for the motor. All of that would be consistent with an airframe length of 2-3/8" (about the length of a BT-30K, although in fairness, a BT-30K didn't exist when the Orange Bullet was conceived).

If that interpretation is correct, then there would be three full openings between the ribs, with little balsa blocks about 3/16"W x 1/8"D x 3/8"L, behind each rib in the open area to serve as a motor stop.

That makes sense, I see that now based on what is likely the upper tube line below the vent going all the way around. Looks cooler too, but might not eject the motor. It’s kind of cool Estes included a decal to simulate version 1 of the plan.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:20 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Hey Lee!

That plan presents an OB based on BT/BNC-20 parts; it would for sure have been later. The original was (what we now know as) BT-30 based.

John,

You are right! That OB plan says it came from the Design Book. I guess it was “modernized”.

A few of those DOM designs reference really old tube designations like BT-3 (the PeeWee). And others that were from early MRNs have old tubes like the BT-30 and BT-40 parallel-wound, and later spiral wound tubes.

I just realized, when looking at my built Designer Series Orange Bullet, that the 3 black rectangular decals between the ribs represent the gaps between top of tube and nose cone. Now I wish I would have built it like the original, with a gap.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 01-17-2023, 07:26 PM
Master Modeler

When I got my first Estes starter set (late 1970, the version that came without a pad: KS-2 on this page: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/70est008.html) it had a later edition of the book linked to above, the "Design Manual." The cover was later re-used for the "Alpha Book."

I remember being intrigued and a little puzzled by the inclusion of models (e.g., the Dirty Bird, Bug-A-Bye) that used parts (BT-40, plastic fin units) that were out of production. It seemed at the time that there was a lost epoch of the hobby that I'd missed out on. In reality, just a ten years! So much time has passed since then!

I have built the Aries 2 and Cloud Buster, using the spiral-wound BT-30 equivalent that was available for a while from Totally Tubular. I went so far as to make engine blocks from balsa bulkheads with holes drilled through them! Old school.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 01-18-2023, 11:52 AM

Thanks for that clarification. Good to know that eRockets has the right parts.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 01-21-2023, 11:56 AM
BAR

Geez, now I need to add parts to my eRockets order for an Orange Bullet. Already had a length of BT-30 for an Astron Mark. Maybe I can get this one to tumble!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 01-21-2023, 12:02 PM
BAR

This morning I received an email from estes for a "Warehouse sale", all but one of the models are in the list of discontinued ones. The MAV is the only sale item still in the catalog. I'm tempted to get one of those, even though it's a beginner model, it's cool looking, and my first one was destroyed by a spectacular Quest D16 CATO.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 01-25-2023, 01:03 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
Is there still a different version of the MAV available, I believe it is called the Colonizer, but it might have been available only as a starter set. If I’m remembering right, it has a different colored wrap and fins, etc. Would be nice just to be able to get the rocket as it would be a nice addition to the MAV.

The #5322 Colonizer Starter Set is still on the website but it’s not in the 2023 catalog. The picture on the site shows the different color scheme so it’s a safe assumption that’s what’s in the box. Estes has had uncataloged starter sets before so maybe the #5322 will be around awhile yet.

During one of the online sales a couple years ago I bought a discontinued Flip Flyer starter set because I wanted the red/white/blue color scheme - the sale price was within a few bucks of the Flip Flyer solo kit from AC Supply, the pad and controller were given away.

NAR #102949/L1