Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2023, 05:06 PM
Craftsman

Default Thinking about making a body tube - my first

Yeah, I'd really like a nice length of LT-225, for an Enerjet 2250. This tube has an O.D. of 2.34", so the nearest (BTH-70, 2.247") isn't really all that close. And the too small size may cause problems with the 3 motor tube cluster assembly anyway. In fact the BTH-70 may make an appropriate mandrel, as it's O.D. is quite close to my target I.D.

I have some kind of craft paper in I think 6" width. I'd like to find something narrower (but still thick) if possible. If I get some idea of thickness I'll have a better idea of how many spiral wraps I am going for. Maybe I will stack 2 or 3 scraps and put a caliper on it. I hope to line things up well, so I have a minimum of overlap mishaps to sand down. Wood glue.

In the ideal, how smooth and finished am I likely to get a DIY tube like this? Is there a product I should use on the outer layer to help with finishing/sanding? Any other advice? I'm thinking I may not get it perfect the first time.

Thanks.

Last edited by Tramper Al : 03-29-2023 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:25 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

I question the use of wood glue. The pale yellow stuff. Very strong but high shrinkage. May not matter if you use it sparingly.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:31 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
I question the use of wood glue. The pale yellow stuff. Very strong but high shrinkage. May not matter if you use it sparingly.

Yes, you are right, thank you. I have since read that the white version is the way to go.

Also, the couple of Apogee articles on this seem to have a strong preference for a sort of long axis roll approach (not a spiral at all).

It's going to be a tough journey to close in on an LT-225 clone, as I still have to somehow come up with a 6.5" ogive nose cone as well.