Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Announcements
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2022, 01:14 PM
Craftsman

Default ....

Last edited by TigerHawk : 09-01-2023 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:25 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

They've been developing the system for years. I look forward to seeing how well it works and I might get one to play with. I suspect it won't require exceptional R/C piloting skills which is a plus for me!
Old 10-23-2022, 09:20 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
They've been developing the system for years. I look forward to seeing how well it works and I might get one to play with. I suspect it won't require exceptional R/C piloting skills which is a plus for me!

Originally it was going to be an automated GPS -steered recovery system.

Here's a short video showing it in action.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V5BlaElarkk

Here's a 54 minute video about the development, which I think I saw long ago but do not have the time ot watch again tonight:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ac-VFPAqIo

So, the GPS method may have have fallen along the wayside.

Uh, you *WILL* need to learn SOME R/C and avoid overcontrolling. One of the hardest things to get used to, for steering any RC model, is that if it is pointed at you, and you want it to turn it to your left, if you control it to turn left, it will turn to your RIGHT. Reversed. You have to get accustomed to either steering it the other way, or mentally think as though you are aboard the model, or think of the model's left/right. Eventually, people get used to controlling the model's left/right, it becomes natural, but is un-natural for most when first learning.

I always suggest people who want to do R/C models, before getting an RC plane, is to get a cheap $20 or so RC car. And drive the heck out of it to get accustomed to making it turn like you want it to turn.

When I finally did a real R/C plane in 1977, I colored the left wingtip red, and right wingtip blue (did not have a green marker). I keyed on that red left wingtip, if I wanted the plane to turn towards the red wingtip (left), then I gave it left rudder. It I wanted it to turn AWAY from the left wingtip, I turned it right (I found it easier, for me, to always key on the red wingtip, rather than make use of the blue wingtip for turning the "other" way. YMMV).

Since that RC gliding chute is now meant for RC and not GPS. I wish they had it color coded, left side red, right side some other color.

Another thing new RC fliers do is over-control. Note how much that first video rocks back and forth once pointing into the wind for the final landing approach, indicating how fast that GPS system could respond. Impressive that it could keep up, but if a human RC pilot had THAT much control authority, they would over control it like crazy, as it drifted farther and farther away. Also note for the rocket underneath adds a massive amount of swaying in response to the chute's changes of direction (the more violently the chute turns, the more super-violently the rocket sways and messes with the chute trying to steer).

So, an RC Chute ought not have very much control authority to it, so the response is slow enough not to over control and cause massive rocket swaying responses.

And first flights ought to be on low-wind days, and not way high up, to learn how to do it. But I know there will be some who will do the MPR/HPR equivalent of flying an Alpha with a 12" chute on a C6 on a windy day, then whine about losing their model.

To conclude, you are right that it won't require exceptional RC piloting skills, like controlling an 8 second E6 or F10 rocket glider boost. But it will require learning some skills, a cheap RC car mostly, and addressing the issues I point to above to avoid over-controlling (just because a joystick may move 30 degrees left, and 30 degrees right, does not mean that it is good to move the stick full left or right to turn, as so, so, SO any newbie pilots do).
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer

Last edited by georgegassaway : 10-23-2022 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 11:50 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I learned to fly RC the year after George in 1978, same year I got into rocketry. Late 70's is when RC equipment became really reliable.
I always remember to counter the last stick movement by moving the stick in the opposite direction. Never had the problem with control "reversal". Don't expect the aircraft to "self correct" to level flight attitude.
Initial outlay costs are higher than rocketry, but flights are much longer as well as cheaper per rocket flight.
A $20 gallon of glow fuel lasts a lot longer than $20 wirth of rocket engines even in a snarly tuned pipe . 61 in a pattern aircraft using 16oz of fuel per flight.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !