Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2020, 10:21 PM
Master Modeler

Default American Rocketeer Uni-Bird

Anyone ever seen or built one of these? Just wondering about the paint scheme. Orange and white maybe?

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/pubs...72_Uni-Bird.pdf
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 08-18-2020, 10:48 PM
Apollo Nut

Funny, I was just looking at this plan night before last. I got an extra copy of that American Rocketeer issue in a group of other Centuri ephemera a week or so ago. I had not looked at that particular issue in a few years, so I was looking it over again. I always thought that use of the paper reducers to flush-mount the first stage into the base of the main vehicle to be fairly interesting.

It would make an interesting build and flight vehicle...but I'm terrible at picking colors (color blind).

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-19-2020, 08:37 AM
Dazed and Confused

The single asymmetrical streamer tube is vindicated with all the modern launch vehicles like the Atlas V using a single strap-on when two or more aren't needed.

Paint... It reminds me of the Centuri Stellar, so you could go with that paint scheme...basically white with black decals. Lots of kids in that era just painted a kit with whatever color they had, tip to tail. Decals were usually black. I've seen lots of solid yellow or solid red/orange rockets with black decals that to me look vintage 60's, early 70's. In fact, there has been a few pics posted of a closet full of rockets the last couple of days that had a few rockets painted that way. The B&W photo looks like the NC is white and the body looks like it may be a medium color of some sort.

Looks like the decals/striping are black and white. Red always works with B&W (der Red Max), so does richer yellows and oranges. If you are thinking of sounding rockets, a steel blue, grey, or OD body would go well.

Last edited by tbzep : 08-19-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:39 AM
BP Mafia

Yesterday I was cleaning out the car that we're giving to a local charity. I found a binder that I stored potential projects in, and this one was one that I'd never gotten to. I threw a bunch away because I'd built them in the years since.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-19-2020, 03:02 PM
Master Modeler

Interesting model! I'd never heard of it before.

Remember to visit your Centuri dealer for that PNC-167.

Picturing an old hobby shop owner listening patiently as you jokingly ask for one.

He smiles, reaches for a orange and black striped box on the top of a high shelf, blows off a half inch of dust, and hands you a mint condition Nike Smoke cone.

(And when you go back, realizing your should have bought more than one of those rare cones, you discover an empty storefront. "Albert's Hobbies? Why, they closed fifteen years ago.")
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 08-19-2020, 03:06 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Interesting model! I'd never heard of it before.

Remember to visit your Centuri dealer for that PNC-167.

Picturing an old hobby shop owner listening patiently as you jokingly ask for one.

He smiles, reaches for a orange and black striped box on the top of a high shelf, blows off a half inch of dust, and hands you a mint condition Nike Smoke cone.

(And when you go back, realizing your should have bought more than one of those rare cones, you discover an empty storefront. "Albert's Hobbies? Why, they closed fifteen years ago.")

I might could semi-scale it with nose cone from one of my many squirreled away Nike-Smokes.
If all else fails, I could spin up the old lathe. Haven't used it in a while.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:31 PM
The_Ripper

Well that is a very unique rocket that I have never seen before, very cool design
I agree the nose cone is white. Not sure why in the instructions they suggest not painting the nose cone because “the special plastic material will not accept paint successfully”. Wasn’t the PNC-167 the same type of plastic as their other cones? I have one here I would need to pull it out of a bin to check.

I like tbzep’s suggestions. I would use dark red or dark orange for the main color, leave the nose cone and ST-56 streamer pod white and recreate the decals and striping in black and white. Looks like a little white striping around one fin. If you really want to be bold paint it fluorescent red or orange to give it some pop.

It’s a decent sized ST-16 model should be really cool just don’t tell GH the first recommended booster motor is a B14-0
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 08-19-2020 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-19-2020, 05:54 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Funny, I was just looking at this plan night before last. I got an extra copy of that American Rocketeer issue in a group of other Centuri ephemera a week or so ago. I had not looked at that particular issue in a few years, so I was looking it over again. I always thought that use of the paper reducers to flush-mount the first stage into the base of the main vehicle to be fairly interesting.
IIRC, isn't this design particularly susceptible to the Krushnic Effect?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A_5GI0yIEk

That would be the only drawback I can initially think of.

--But otherwise... Yeah, very cool design.
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 08-19-2020, 06:27 PM
Apollo Nut

If the motor is recessed too far inside the body tube, it could cause that effect. Hopefully (and one would think the Centuri designers took that potential into consideration), that upper stage motor is not recessed far enough into the body tube to cause a problem.

In the video, the girl does a pretty good job describing everything; I was fairly well impressed at her grasp of the workings of it all. The rule of thumb I recall to try to eliminate that effect was no more than 1/2 the body diameter; I think she said 1 body diameter.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-19-2020, 06:43 PM
Master Modeler

I have 2 of the old Centuri Nike Smoke cones - one is in pretty good shape. As usual, I can't remember where I got them

eRockets/Semroc makes a balsa facsimile without the fine details and hatches: http://www.erockets.biz/semroc-bals...l-sem-bc-16100/

Have a couple of those as well. Now I just have to reproduce the paper adapters and I'll be all set.
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet