Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2020, 03:10 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I like the Semroc version of the Lil’ Ivan with red decals. Another example of me “discovering” a kit worth getting after its discontinued.
eRockets has no Lil’ Ivan decals, only has the fins — I think I would be successful cutting those myself.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 09-23-2020, 03:38 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I like the Semroc version of the Lil’ Ivan with red decals. Another example of me “discovering” a kit worth getting after its discontinued.
eRockets has no Lil’ Ivan decals, only has the fins — I think I would be successful cutting those myself.

I guess Carl did not have too many options other than going with a different decor, what with Centuri original having the white decals. Looks like Carl just ‘reversed’ colors on his: white rocket with red decals, which works ok too.

Sure do miss Carl. Looking back over many of his instruction sets here recently as we began working on preserving all his kit work, it is amazing to see the sheer volume of stuff he, Sheryl, and Bruce turned out. Glad we can collectively work together to preserve it.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-23-2020, 07:46 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
[…]

Sure do miss Carl. Looking back over many of his instruction sets here recently as we began working on preserving all his kit work, it is amazing to see the sheer volume of stuff he, Sheryl, and Bruce turned out. Glad we can collectively work together to preserve it.

Earl

Carl was a really decent man. I met the whole family at the Semroc booth at NARAM-52 in 2010. I had not signed up to attend, but on Saturday I called a friend and we drove down to meet the vendors on Sunday. We met Carl, Sheryl, and Bruce. I ended up spending a good deal of time in the booth, and loved spending time talking rockets with Carl. I bought maybe 4-5 kits, and now wish I would have bought more. Sheryl and Bruce were probably busy dealing with other customers as Carl and I chatted. I certainly overstayed my welcome but I never had that feeling at the time.

Funny intro at the booth. I had never even seen a picture of Carl. I walked up and introduced myself to a man who looked like who I assumed was Carl. “Hi, Carl, I’m Lee, great to meet you!” The man shook my hand and said “Hi Lee, great to meet you to. But I’m not Carl, I’m Bill Simon!”. I laughed, a bit embarrassed, paused a second, and said “Bill Simon? Of Estes? I haven’t seen you since I was 13!” He looked surprised, and I told him he was our tour guide in 1966 when I visited Estes Industries with several of my friends. What a great meeting by chance. He asked me if I wanted a signed Sky Hook kit, which I of course enthusiastically accepted. The NARAM giveaway was a Semroc Sky Hook, Bill Simon Edition. I still have it, and of course it’s still sealed.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 09-23-2020, 08:46 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I guess Carl did not have too many options other than going with a different decor, what with Centuri original having the white decals. Looks like Carl just ‘reversed’ colors on his: white rocket with red decals, which works ok too.

Earl

I went looking through my SEMROC kits to see if I had a Lil Ivan, but instead found an email from Sheryl in the box I keep the SEMROC kits in that jogged my memory: I was reading Tom Beach's review in Sport Rocketry of the SEMROC Mars Lander right after it came out and my wife looked over my shoulder and asked "What's that?" So, I explained the history of the kit and that it had just been re-released, blah blah, and she said "Well, shouldn't you have one of those?" and before she could change her mind, I said "Well, now that you mention it, yes, I should" and she said "Shouldn't you have 2, since you collect those kind of things?" and I choked and said "You're probably right, I should, and I should probably order them right now before you come to your senses, I mean before they sell out." So I placed the order and added a couple of things and chose the 'Lil' Ivan' (see, this is still on topic) as my free kit. The next morning I had an email from Sheryl telling me that Carl was sending me a 'SLS Hustler' kit instead of Ivan to thank me for posting the Hustler plans on YORF and taking measurements of my original kit, etc. That's the kind of guy Carl was, and that's why I don't have a SEMROC Lil' Ivan, and that's why I'm certainly not complaining.
SAM #0031

Last edited by SEL : 09-23-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:31 AM
the middle-aged rocketeer

Wow! Quite a good story!
Old 09-24-2020, 06:18 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I went looking through my SEMROC kits to see if I had a Lil Ivan, but instead found an email from Sheryl in the box I keep the SEMROC kits in that jogged my memory: I was reading Tom Beach's review in Sport Rocketry of the SEMROC Mars Lander right after it came out and my wife looked over my shoulder and asked "What's that?" So, I explained the history of the kit and that it had just been re-released, blah blah, and she said "Well, shouldn't you have one of those?" and before she could change her mind, I said "Well, now that you mention it, yes, I should" and she said "Shouldn't you have 2, since you collect those kind of things?" and I choked and said "You're probably right, I should, and I should probably order them right now before you come to your senses, I mean before they sell out." So I placed the order and added a couple of things and chose the 'Lil' Ivan' (see, this is still on topic) as my free kit. The next morning I had an email from Sheryl telling me that Carl was sending me a 'SLS Hustler' kit instead of Ivan to thank me for posting the Hustler plans on YORF and taking measurements of my original kit, etc. That's the kind of guy Carl was, and that's why I don't have a SEMROC Lil' Ivan, and that's why I'm certainly not complaining.
Great story SEL. SLS Hustler is one of my favorites of the old SLS line. I should have bought two. All I have left of my original Semroc SLS Hustler is the payload section. Totally wrecked the bottom part on an F motor flight with no ejection nothing was salvageable except the payload section and the chute. Mine wasn’t the production kit it was the parts kits Carl sold for a while.

Yes, Carl was truly generous with me as well. I think most would agree to similar great experiences.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 09-24-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:14 PM
Craftsman

Default Semroc Lil' Ivan decal scan

I want to thank Chas Russel for the gift of a pristine Semroc Lil' Ivan decal!

I have scanned it at 600 dpi for all of us. I have not done any clean-up on the scan.

Stan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lil' Ivan decal.pdf (86.0 KB, 28 views)