Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2020, 10:31 AM
Apollo Nut

Default Centuri Lil Herc Kit-Brief Lineage

In response to the topic in the "Ebay Deals" thread about the Centuri Lil Herc kit, here is a quick posting of some of the earlier kit images and kit face cards and instructions.

At a cost $.75 cents for a good portion of it's sales life, the Centuri Lil Herc was no doubt a popular beginner's kit. I zeroed in on it in my first Centuri catalog (1971) because it was the cheapest kit in the catalog. However, I did not get one at that time. Later, in the summer of 1976 I did get one (as a freebie kit), which was the second version, the "Lil Herc II", modified for full-length 18mm motors and fin tip weights after the shortie motors were discontinued beginning with the 1972 Centuri catalog.

Below are some images and scans. First is a photo of the earliest Lil Herc I have, from 1967. This kit was part of a 'gift' set of kits from Lee Piester to then NAR President Ellsworth Beetch (I think I have that spelled right), which I acquired about 10 years ago from Mr. Beetch's son, along with a handful of other then popular Centuri kits that were given to Mr. Beetch.

Next, is a color face card scan of the Lil Herc from 1969, showing the 'roll pattern' face card design that was so classic for Centuri face cards starting in about 1969 and ran through the early 70s for many Centuri face cards.

Next, is a Little Herc II face card, this from either late 1971 or sometime in 1972, after the kit had been redesigned for the longer 18mm motors. This face card is very similar to the prior design, but it does designate that the kit has been redesigned for 18mm motors. This is the only face card version to my knowledge that used the "II" designation in the title. But, the instructions for the kit did for the duration of the kit life (see last item below).

Next, is a Little Herc II face card, without the "II" on it, from 1973 onward.

Finally, a set of instructions for the Little Herc II. Notice the first page lists the kit name simply as "Hercules II". This set of instructions, as far as I have been able to find, would be the version that was used for the duration of the kit until Centuri ceased operations in 1983.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Early Lil Herc--IMG_3333.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  1.58 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Lil Hercules--1969 Face Card.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  882.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Lil Hercules II--1972 Face Card.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  820.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Lil Hercules II--1973 Onward.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  539.2 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Centuri Lil Hercules II Inst-4.pdf (573.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: pdf Centuri Lil Hercules II Inst-3.pdf (429.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf Centuri Lil Hercules II Inst-2.pdf (509.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: pdf Centuri Lil Hercules II Inst-1.pdf (650.5 KB, 48 views)
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-08-2020, 01:09 PM
Level 5 Certified

Very coo, Earl! Thanks for digging that out!

Matt
Old 11-08-2020, 03:25 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

It's stuff like this that makes me enjoy this website.

Thanks Earl.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:38 PM
Apollo Nut

The first post was getting a bit 'crowded' with stuff, so I decided to hold off and post these other two instruction sets in a separate post.

Attached below are the 1968 era instructions, which is my best guess on the date; these are different and later than my sealed 1967 kit, but are different than the 1969 era instructions. The graphics style relates very similar to some 1968 Laser-X instructions I have, so I believe them to be from that year.

And...the 1969 instructions (they are dated as such). BOTH these instruction sets are for the Lil Herc short engine version, whereas the instruction set in the first post in this thread is for the full-length 18mm motor version.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-08-2020, 09:15 PM
Craftsman

Thanks for the info!!