Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to ezgb59a
Default X-Ray

General question - stems from seeing some OOP kits going for sale on ebay.

I have an old X-Ray still in the original package and unopened. What would it go for on ebay?

It looks like 1985 was the last year it was produced.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...85/85est26.html

My son saw it and thinks it is cool and wants to put it together. Once he gets better at putting together current day kits he can put this one together.

Is ebay the best place to pickup OOP kits?

Thanks
ez

PS does anyone know why getting a response back from rocketforum is so difficult? I've singed up but no response from them about getting on ... stragne.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:02 AM
Master Modeler

You can get parts to "clone" the X-Ray for much less that you'd pay for . . .

. . . oh, wait. "Duh."

Semroc offers a clone kit:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/default.asp
Old 08-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Forest Sprite

I can't answer your main question, but as for your P.S., I don't see an equivalent post to this one on TRF. If you post something there or here, and you don't get a response for awhile, it may be just that your question requires some specific knowledge, and the person with that knowledge just hasn't seen your post yet. Also note that activity on both forums waxes and wanes during the course of a day, as well as during the course of a week. Not everyone is online 24/7 like I am; most (or at least many) forum members actually have lives! (And I even take a break every now and then, too.)

It would be helpful to know if your X-Ray is a pre-Damon era Estes kit (1965 to 1970), if it is a Damon-era (1971 to 1985) era kit, or if it is an Estes/Cox Corp. era kit (1997 to 2004). One way to help narrow down the era that the kit is from is to see if the hang tag/header card (the tag at the top of the plastic bag) is crinkled paper or if it is printed cardboard. If it is crinkled paper, and it has a kit number of K-18, then it is a Vern Estes-era (pre-Damon) kit from the 1960's. If that is the case, then you possess a very precious item indeed. I am not qualified to assess the values of X-Ray kits from later eras. The Damon-era X-Ray had the kit number 1218, and the Estes/Cox Corp. era version was kit number 0834. The most distinguishing feature of the last version of the X-Ray released by the Estes/Cox Corp. is that, unlike earlier versions, it flies on 13mm mini motors. (Of course, there is also the Thrustline X-Ray parts pack kit from a couple of years ago, and, last but not least, the newly-released Semroc X-Ray xKit.)

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 08-30-2008, 01:00 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezgb59a
General question - stems from seeing some OOP kits going for sale on ebay.

I have an old X-Ray still in the original package and unopened. What would it go for on ebay?

My son saw it and thinks it is cool and wants to put it together. Once he gets better at putting together current day kits he can put this one together.

Is ebay the best place to pickup OOP kits?

Thanks
ez

It all depends on the packaging. What type of hang tag is on it (if any)? What type of header card is in it (if any)? Those answers would narrow it down to a range of years, and of course, the older the better.

The X-Ray is a simple design, and as has been noted, Semroc has a kit of it. Therefore the value to a collector is not so much the rocket itself, but the memories that it engenders. Hence, the importance of the packaging.

Generally it appears that small pre-Damon or early Damon kits are getting $50-100 or more, while later kits could get at least $35.

I'd get the Semroc kit for your son to build. Watch eBay for a few weeks and see the types of rockets that are put up there and the prices they fetch, then make your decision. If it is a later Damon kit, I'd probably hold on to it longer to increase its value. I do think eBay is the best place for finding OOP rockets unless you get in good with the collecting crowd.

The Rocketry Forum has had problems with signup for quite awhile. No one really knows why, whether it is problems with the software, its configuration, or maybe problems with the mail server.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to ezgb59a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
I can't answer your main question, but as for your P.S., I don't see an equivalent post to this one on TRF. If you post something there or here, and you don't get a response for awhile, it may be just that your question requires some specific knowledge, and the person with that knowledge just hasn't seen your post yet. Also note that activity on both forums waxes and wanes during the course of a day, as well as during the course of a week. Not everyone is online 24/7 like I am; most (or at least many) forum members actually have lives! (And I even take a break every now and then, too.)

It would be helpful to know if your X-Ray is a pre-Damon era Estes kit (1965 to 1970), if it is a Damon-era (1971 to 1985) era kit, or if it is an Estes/Cox Corp. era kit (1997 to 2004). One way to help narrow down the era that the kit is from is to see if the hang tag/header card (the tag at the top of the plastic bag) is crinkled paper or if it is printed cardboard. If it is crinkled paper, and it has a kit number of K-18, then it is a Vern Estes-era (pre-Damon) kit from the 1960's. If that is the case, then you possess a very precious item indeed. I am not qualified to assess the values of X-Ray kits from later eras. The Damon-era X-Ray had the kit number 1218, and the Estes/Cox Corp. era version was kit number 0834. The most distinguishing feature of the last version of the X-Ray released by the Estes/Cox Corp. is that, unlike earlier versions, it flies on 13mm mini motors. (Of course, there is also the Thrustline X-Ray parts pack kit from a couple of years ago, and, last but not least, the newly-released Semroc X-Ray xKit.)

Mark \\.

Mark - I pulled the package out today and it has the yellow crinckled paper that held the plastic bag shut. It has both "K-18" and "1218" on it. I don't think it had the kit # on it.

Only reason I posted this was due to what I saw on e-bay. Heck - if I could sell it and pickup enough to buy my kid multiple rockets I figured I might toss it on e-bay.

As for my PS ... I signed up in the other forum early this past week. Just like I did with this forum. I used the same e-mail address, everything is pretty much the same. I got a response from this one the next business day - very prompt. The other one I didn't hear a thing. I've sent two e-mails to them with no response. So didn't know if there was an issue or what. I was just looking for multiple forums to post on - figured there migth be a couple of different people on them.

Enjoy the weekend!!1

ez
Old 08-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

I can't get TRF admin staff to reply to my emails either. So I'll send them one EVERY DAY.

It's incredibly unprofessional to run a site with the visibility of TRF and not bother to reply to regular users when they have problems.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org