Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default What's the name of this model?

I'm curious to try to find out what one of my all time favorite Estes models was called., and maybe the approx years it was made so I can look it up on the list on rocketshoppe.com and maybe even find it's picture in one of the old catalog scans on ninfinger.org.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

It was a glider. I think it was about 2 or 3 feet long, fairly narrow body tube. It was a basic red, white, and blue paint and decal job with a "cockpit" type nosecone. The wings were a combo of a balsa leading edge with a plastic (whatever the same material that Estes makes their parachutes out of) "wing" attached to them. The wings folded back (like on the F-14 Tomcat model, as opposed to a single fixed wing that rotates). When the wings were extended I think it might have been about a 2 ft wing span.

That's one of my favorites. I no longer have it, don't remember what happened to it (must have crashed) but it was the best flying glider I've ever had out of about 4 gliders I've ever had. I'd love for Estes to re-release that kit.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:01 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhug
I'm curious to try to find out what one of my all time favorite Estes models was called., and maybe the approx years it was made so I can look it up on the list on rocketshoppe.com and maybe even find it's picture in one of the old catalog scans on ninfinger.org.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

It was a glider. I think it was about 2 or 3 feet long, fairly narrow body tube. It was a basic red, white, and blue paint and decal job with a "cockpit" type nosecone. The wings were a combo of a balsa leading edge with a plastic (whatever the same material that Estes makes their parachutes out of) "wing" attached to them. The wings folded back (like on the F-14 Tomcat model, as opposed to a single fixed wing that rotates). When the wings were extended I think it might have been about a 2 ft wing span.

That's one of my favorites. I no longer have it, don't remember what happened to it (must have crashed) but it was the best flying glider I've ever had out of about 4 gliders I've ever had. I'd love for Estes to re-release that kit.

Sounds like the Soaring Eagle.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-05-2007, 11:17 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Sounds like the Soaring Eagle.

Agreed. And I'm somewhat ashamed to say it took me more than fifteen minutes to locate the information...

Check this catalog page: Estes 1982

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-05-2007, 11:27 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Agreed. And I'm somewhat ashamed to say it took me more than fifteen minutes to locate the information...

Check this catalog page: Estes 1982

Took me ten, fifteen seconds, but I didn't think to include the link to Ninfinger.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 06-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

I have a few of those nose cones (PNC-50SP) left if you want to build it.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Agree; has to be the Soaring Eagle....that was the only rocket Estes produced that is as you describe.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Yep, Soaring Eagle, that's the one! Thanks for the pointer! That was a GREAT glider!

Man, now there's some nostalgia browsing through that 1982 catalog. I was in 8th grade that year. I had the Star Speeder on page 38 (always thought it reminded me, albeit very vaguely, of a Battlestar Galactica Viper fighter), and I STILL have my Vega from page 39(though I don't think I actually got my Vega in 1982, probably several years later, woops, never mind, just realized my Vega is the Super Vega from the early '90s). I recently bought the rerelease of the Scissor Wing Transport. That catalog also has a whole bunch more really cool rockets I'd love to have today. Man, Estes so many more cool rockets back in the day than they do now. I'm glad to see they're rereleasing things though.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 AM
Rocketaholic

Default I have that model rocket built and ready to fly

I have that model rocket built and ready to fly. Do you remember which motor worked the best for it?

I have to replace the rubber/elastic line in order for the wings to deploy, but other than that it is operational.

The rocketaholic
Old 06-07-2007, 04:55 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketaholic
I have that model rocket built and ready to fly. Do you remember which motor worked the best for it?

I have to replace the rubber/elastic line in order for the wings to deploy, but other than that it is operational.

The rocketaholic

What kind of shape are your wings in? I always figured that they'd age badly.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-07-2007, 07:10 AM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

Soaring Eagle