Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrosaint
I have tried Superior Hobbies and they have come through every time I use them. They often keep obscure motors like A8-0s

Thanks!

I did not find them Googling C11-3, but I found two packs at jonrocket.com. Good price, but I’m cheap, and wanted free shipping, so I spent the $48 required. Lots and lots of parts coming ...

I’ll probably sell them to a friend, who uses the C11-3 a lot more than I do. He ordered a bulk pack of 24 C11-3 motors from Amazon yesterday. They cancelled his order today — out of stock. I was suspicious, since Amazon’s partner was Belleville. They were out of stock at Belleville when I checked yesterday, well before he placed his Amazon order. Somebody’s eCommerce syncing isn’t too hot, although maybe this is typical if something gets discontinued rather than just a temporary out of stock situation.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-14-2018, 05:29 PM
Astrosaint

Default C11s are gone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Thanks!

I did not find them Googling C11-3, but I found two packs at jonrocket.com. Good price, but I’m cheap, and wanted free shipping, so I spent the $48 required. Lots and lots of parts coming ...

I’ll probably sell them to a friend, who uses the C11-3 a lot more than I do. He ordered a bulk pack of 24 C11-3 motors from Amazon yesterday. They cancelled his order today — out of stock. I was suspicious, since Amazon’s partner was Belleville. They were out of stock at Belleville when I checked yesterday, well before he placed his Amazon order. Somebody’s eCommerce syncing isn’t too hot, although maybe this is typical if something gets discontinued rather than just a temporary out of stock situation.

What is odd about the C11-3 is that it is often the most sold out motor among vendors at the launch site. It is too bad they could not market them at Hobby Lobby--their biggest retailer.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:01 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I had read somewhere that Hobby Lobby only stocks motors that are used by model rocket kits they carry. But, Im not really sure if any kits they carry recommend C11-3. Our HL has never carried any. Actually, I don’t think they’ve ever had any C11 motors, booster or with delay. With the demise of the E9-6, our HL now has E12-6 motors, as of yesterday. They have never stocked any E12 motors. I bought the only pack they had, having never tried any. Heck, I’ve never seen any for sale at the local hobby shop.

For quite some time now, our HL has only been putting out one each of any E or F motors. I’m curious if this a widespread practice? They replace that single E or F if I buy one, apparently immediately, near as a I can tell, when my wife and I have visited two days in a row. She crafts, I stock up on motors — thankfully the store is close.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-14-2018, 08:33 PM
Dazed and Confused

My nearest HL carried the CC Express and C11 motors. I don't know if they kept carrying them after the CC was discontinued because I haven't been there in several years.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:41 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

I've never used C11 motors as I've always felt that I could use a D12 instead (of which I have a good stockpile). What's so special about it? Is it a small field engine for 24 mm rockets?
Old 03-14-2018, 10:05 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
I've never used C11 motors as I've always felt that I could use a D12 instead (of which I have a good stockpile). What's so special about it? Is it a small field engine for 24 mm rockets?

You get a nice hard kick off the pad without the altitude of a D motor. It lets you fly heavy models in small areas. I routinely fly 2.6" diameter Goblin and Red Max upscales at school demos and drop them back down between the trees in a space smaller than a little league field. If you aren't familiar with the dimensions, most little league fences are about 200 ft. If you want to get a D12 powered model back on that size field, it had better be a big fat Saturn V.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:23 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
For quite some time now, our HL has only been putting out one each of any E or F motors. I’m curious if this a widespread practice? They replace that single E or F if I buy one, apparently immediately, near as a I can tell, when my wife and I have visited two days in a row. She crafts, I stock up on motors — thankfully the store is close.

That is the practice of my closest HL store as well (and others in the general area that I have been in from time to time). It took some time to gather up all the F15-8s I stockpiled for use in my Star Orbiter for the Sierra Blanca challenge at NSL last year .
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-15-2018, 07:26 AM
Astrosaint

Unhappy C11s are gone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
You get a nice hard kick off the pad without the altitude of a D motor. It lets you fly heavy models in small areas. I routinely fly 2.6" diameter Goblin and Red Max upscales at school demos and drop them back down between the trees in a space smaller than a little league field. If you aren't familiar with the dimensions, most little league fences are about 200 ft. If you want to get a D12 powered model back on that size field, it had better be a big fat Saturn V.

I used the C11s on a pair of "Gooney Bird" Saturn-IB clones built from once inch x-mas tubing, BT-20/RB74, a cork for the nose cone, and a length of Pringle's potato chip can.

Chris Michaelsson's Model rocketry blogspot has a photo of one under his launch archive section.

They fly text book under C11s and on small fields. A D12 would work but the altitude may prompt me to use large streamers for return.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
You get a nice hard kick off the pad without the altitude of a D motor. It lets you fly heavy models in small areas.

That's sums it up pretty well. I generally put 24mm in all my LPR models, typically, in the 3-5 oz range and draggy. As much as I love to throw D12s in there, conditions do not always allow.

I am hopeful that the new Quest C motors will fill this role now, but I am *really bummed* that the C11s are no more.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:57 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Horrible decision by Estes. Since the demise of the C5-3, the C11 has been the only worthwhile C they produced.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !