Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Master Modeler

Default New design possibility for a kit

Hello All -

I've got a rocket design that works out well in RockSim9 and I think it'd be a cool kit to build and fly. It's loosely based on the Semroc Hybdra VII and the Sunward Skybender. It's a 6-engine cluster using 24mm engines and dual ejection (one rearward).

I call it Six-Shooter. Problem is, I need help with the design of the decals and any advice on marketing. It'd be expensive, though! Overall length is 61.5", it weighs 27.6 oz without engines (41.3 oz with size E9s), and in Rocksim it flies to 1468' on six E-9s.

I haven't built it yet because I don't have all the parts. Yet.

Is anyone interested in helping bring this kit to market?

Thanks!

- Dale
Old 02-19-2010, 03:23 AM
MOTORVERKENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd
...in Rocksim it flies to 1468' on six E-9s.
Problem is you'll need Level 1 Cert. to launch it since anything over 3 E9's is considered high power.
I don't know any Level 1 folk who enjoy launching E9 clusters
- especially @ $30 bucks/launch.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:58 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd
Hello All -

I've got a rocket design that works out well in RockSim9 and I think it'd be a cool kit to build and fly. It's loosely based on the Semroc Hybdra VII and the Sunward Skybender. It's a 6-engine cluster using 24mm engines and dual ejection (one rearward).

I call it Six-Shooter. Problem is, I need help with the design of the decals and any advice on marketing. It'd be expensive, though! Overall length is 61.5", it weighs 27.6 oz without engines (41.3 oz with size E9s), and in Rocksim it flies to 1468' on six E-9s.

I haven't built it yet because I don't have all the parts. Yet.

Is anyone interested in helping bring this kit to market?

Thanks!

- Dale

FWIW, One of our core designers (James Pierson) has a design somewhere here on BARCLONE already named "Six Shooter", and it has passed the flight-test stage. Pretty cool, too. At apogee, it drops six pods with streamers and looks like a Delta dropping its solids.

If we all knew how to make and sell rocket kits - and make a profit from it - we'd be doing it. James and I collectively have probably 600 out of the 700 plus designs posted here, but neither of us are producing kits. I can attest to this one fact: It takes more time and more discipline to create ONE set of instructions for a kit than it does to create FIFTY or ONE HUNDRED designs. Ask CenturiGuy about his experience with the instructions for the SEMROC release "Tau Zero", and he'll give you a play-by-play of the procedure...

Best advice I can offer is to throw out as many designs as you can create (BARCLONE is a great place to do this) and see what design elements the 'experts' here like. Keep a journal, or at least a good copy of your designs, for reference. Also, since you mentioned a SEMROC design as being an inspiration for your model, why not ask the designer himself about his experiences in manufacturing and selling? Carl is a most welcome member of Ye Olde, and if anyone here has insight on the ups and downs of making a business out of a hobby, Carl is at the top of the list. And he doesn't bite, either!

There are other manufacturers represented here, too, and each of them can provide their own unique perspective into the business. I listen to all of them...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up From somebody who's lived to tell the tale...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I can attest to this one fact: It takes more time and more discipline to create ONE set of instructions for a kit than it does to create FIFTY or ONE HUNDRED designs. Ask CenturiGuy about his experience with the instructions for the SEMROC release "Tau Zero", and he'll give you a play-by-play of the procedure...
If I were going to do it all over again (not that I'm officially planning to ), I wouldn't start completely from scratch. I'd look at a bunch of different Semroc instruction booklets and borrow illustrations, writing, etc., that Carl's already done, and incorporate those.

Quote:
Best advice I can offer is to throw out as many designs as you can create (BARCLONE is a great place to do this) and see what design elements the 'experts' here like. Keep a journal, or at least a good copy of your designs, for reference.
I agree wholeheartedly with Craig. Post your designs here, get some good feedback, and figure out what works. MAKE SURE YOUR ROCKET'S *STABLE!* Also make sure there's plenty of room for an adequate recovery system so your design (no matter *how* cool-looking it is!) doesn't smash itself to pieces when it hits the ground.

Quote:
Also, since you mentioned a SEMROC design as being an inspiration for your model, why not ask the designer himself about his experiences in manufacturing and selling? Carl is a most welcome member of Ye Olde, and if anyone here has insight on the ups and downs of making a business out of a hobby, Carl is at the top of the list. And he doesn't bite, either!
Carl McLawhorn (Carl@Semroc) is a great guy, and he's more than happy to answer questions.

(reminiscing) Why just last night, I was asking him about an EM-115-175-3F engine mount...

You've come to the right place. We're here to help.

"It is ours to serve."

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 02-19-2010, 04:35 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
I agree wholeheartedly with Craig. Post your designs here, get some good feedback, and figure out what works. MAKE SURE YOUR ROCKET'S *STABLE!* Also make sure there's plenty of room for an adequate recovery system so your design (no matter *how* cool-looking it is!) doesn't smash itself to pieces when it hits the ground.

Stability is *SO* over-rated.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 02-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
It only comes into play for less than 1 or 2 seconds of the life of the rocket! But people tend to remember those more than the sanding part.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 02-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
It only comes into play for less than 1 or 2 seconds of the life of the rocket! But people tend to remember those more than the sanding part.

Not me. I never forget the sanding.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc

Old 02-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Wink Mental stability vs. physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Bill, I was talking about *rockets.*

Not our shared mental states.

Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 02-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Red Max
Problem is you'll need Level 1 Cert. to launch it since anything over 3 E9's is considered high power.
I don't know any Level 1 folk who enjoy launching E9 clusters
- especially @ $30 bucks/launch.

Only because you don't know me.....

I hate rules.