Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2011, 11:04 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
The 1990 vintage Nova: No.

My late model Nova came with both decals and a Select-A-Chute. The decals are just like the ones at YORP, some blocky fin decals and a white NOVA. They were badly yellowed, as is to be expected, but a couple of days in a sunny window did them some good.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Master Modeler

Oh, for cripes sake . . . yes, there ARE decals in my Nova, just as you describe.

I emptied out the bag in a hurry when I was doing the old-Nova photo shot, and they fell in a box of Stuff.

Thanks. I would have found them eventually, but you made me look!

If I were really brave I'd open up all of my (middle Raytown era) kits and see if there are decals hidden in there. But I don't want to risk messing up the headers and bags.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
I would think that the red chutes, were used because the supply of Select A Chutes had run out and they still had kits to package. ( kit's from the 1990's packaged in a bag with header card with instructions on back).
Although I have built and flown several FSI Rockets over many years ,
I am not as up on every thing like you guys are . Estes and Centuri were the two main Model Rockets to be found locally where I lived as a kid, I found out about FSI Rockets like this:
My older brother had a Estes Cherokee-D , nothing myself or any of our friends had could out fly it. One early summers day, I went for a bike ride into Utica Michigan, there was a new hobby store in town and I wanted to see what they had in the way of Model Rockets. I left the store with a FSI Penetrator and three E5-6 Engines. My brother or myself or anyone else didn't know what was coming.
the Cherokee was left in the smoke trail as the Penetrator flew by and climbed at least another 1500' OH how I love those long burn E5 and F7 FSI Engines, I wish someone would put them back into production.
Neal, I never saw FSI products or knew of its existence at all when they were in operation. Everything I do know has come from online research and discussion threads like this one over the past few years. I am by no means an expert. I know some things about them in a few areas, but there are many other things that I am really in the dark about. Motors, for instance. If you have actually laid eyes on bagged or boxed kits, and even saw them in stores, then you are way ahead of me. If you have actually seen a rocket being launched on an FSI motor, then you have experienced something that I have no idea if I will ever get to see.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 09-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Master Modeler

You can get a good feel for the E5 by watching an E9 underway. Just imagine it thrusting for another second!

Mark, PM me your mailing address. I'm going to send you the 1990 Nova I was considering building as a reward for your dedication! I'll clone another when I get the urge.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Craftsman

I'll try to remember of the top of my head best as I can on this. There were only really four different "eras". First, George Roos in Louisville, CO. Second, Reese's buy model rocket part of FSI around 1970? Third FSI thru around 1990? (when Harold Reese died) Fourth, After/end.
The third epoc was one continual jelling. Things were changing and not on any annual schedule. I can fill in a few details about a few things listed of the top of my head but some I will have to think a bit on.
The Nova changed length because Lonnie designed it to use a F7. At one time he held a altitude record with this model.
When George sold the company,he had a TON of old package fronts and select a chutes. The packages lasted longer than the original red/black chutes did. I do remember us having to reorder chutes sometime and Lonnie wanting different colors.
All (thru mid 80's) .903 and 1.13 nose cones were made of sugar pine and ogive in design. (the 1.13 cones had a 5/8 hole bored in the center.
Harold was always over the machine shop and usually kept pretty good track of QC. Lonnie was real picky.
More to come........................
Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Master Modeler

Do you recall the decal situation, carbons4?

I'm trying to figure out if I was just imagining getting decals in my old Oso kit (1974-75)
Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 PM
BAR

I checked this thread because I couldn't remember what the FSI "Eras" kit looked like .... the only similar-sounding name I could remember was the "Oso." Good smack of forehead after reading a bit .......
Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
There were only really four different "eras". First, George Roos in Louisville, CO.

I still think we're dealing in two phases here. The designs of the kits between 1967 and 1970, when Roos sold the company.

The number of kits sold in those early years is probably pretty small. An intact, unbuilt one would be quite a prize!

I look forward to more Raytown insights!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbons4
The Nova changed length because Lonnie designed it to use a F7. At one time he held a altitude record with this model.
Was that the Nova or was it the Orbit? My cloned Orbit (22" version) used to grab monster amounts of altitude in each flight, even on modest motors. It was the most efficient cloud scratcher that I have ever flown. That's why I now speak of it in the past tense. Its last launch was on a Quest D5. Epic flight, but I think it got caught in the jet stream or something...

My cloned Nova is no slouch in that department either.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011

Last edited by Mark II : 10-04-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Master Modeler

Oh, I've got to get me some of those D5s.

I remember my Oso flying nicely on a D6.

The 1968 Nova is shorter than the 1990 Nova, for sure. I assumed that the difference in various kit lengths was that the HST-8 tube length changed.