Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2021, 03:49 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I mixed 1oz of #12 lead shot with 15min epoxy and poured into mine, with a screw-eye centered in the mix.
15min epoxy does not heat up much either. It's 15min WORKING time, not cure time.
Just don't use 5min epoxy. That stuff gets HOT.

Faster the epoxy the hotter it gets, and the weaker it is when cured. OL J R
Old 01-31-2021, 05:46 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Faster the epoxy the hotter it gets, and the weaker it is when cured. OL J R

I use 15 minute epoxy almost elusively when I use epoxy, unless I'm doing something like laminating where I want the thinner consistency and/or additional work time of 30 minute or 2 hour (e.g. glass or carbon fiber reinforcements). The only time I use 5 minute is for field repairs.
I've never had an issue with the heat generated while curing.
I'm putting the finishing touches on an Apogee Saturn V, modified for high power with a 38mm mount. I just epoxied about 8 ounces of lead shot into the Apollo capsule (I still need to fine tune the balance, but figure this should get it close). No affect on that nice capsule (protecting the escape tower with that much weight is another story).
Old 02-06-2021, 08:36 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer
I use 15 minute epoxy almost elusively when I use epoxy, unless I'm doing something like laminating where I want the thinner consistency and/or additional work time of 30 minute or 2 hour (e.g. glass or carbon fiber reinforcements). The only time I use 5 minute is for field repairs.
I've never had an issue with the heat generated while curing.
I'm putting the finishing touches on an Apogee Saturn V, modified for high power with a 38mm mount. I just epoxied about 8 ounces of lead shot into the Apollo capsule (I still need to fine tune the balance, but figure this should get it close). No affect on that nice capsule (protecting the escape tower with that much weight is another story).
That sounds like a cool project, I was thinking about something like that when a batch of Sirius kits became available, so I went that route. I'd be interested in hearing about some of the construction.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 02-06-2021, 02:19 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
That sounds like a cool project, I was thinking about something like that when a batch of Sirius kits became available, so I went that route. I'd be interested in hearing about some of the construction.

I wish Sirius would get some more Saturn V kits available - I'd like to pick up another. I've built four - one is in a display at an observatory, one will never fly because it's covered with over 30 autographs from astronauts and other space dignitaries ( ), two fliers, one of which is in the Skylab configuration (after it lawndarted and destroyed the top half - figure that was easier than rebuilding it as an Apollo).

I'd done 'high power' with my first Apogee Saturn V flier - in fact used it for my L1 cert flight and wrote about it in Peak of Flight #284. I finally totaled that Saturn V when the Kevlar shock cord broke, allowing the bottom section to free fall from altitude, so this is its replacement.

The changes from the stock Apogee kit are pretty basic. Obviously, a new 38mm motor mount with 3x 3/16" plywood centering rings, heavier (thicker) Kevlar shock cords, and larger flight fins (see the Peak of Flight article for details). To make sure none of the transition sections collapse into the larger tube under the higher loads (as happened with the previous Apogee Saturn), I made some coupler tubes and glued them in place to sport the transition sections during boost, with another at the top of the motor mount to provide some extra support.

Target motor is an I211W. I haven't sat down with Rocksim yet to determine the exact specifics for balance and such yet (no chance to launch it before April anyway, so no rush). Currently, with about 8 oz. of ballast in the nose it weighs right at 3 1/2 lbs (flight ready less motor), so quite a bit heavier than the stock Apogee Saturn.

Last edited by tdracer : 02-06-2021 at 02:40 PM.