Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Do any rocket scientists detect any CG issues here?

3 motors on top, then 2 motors out back, then four motors out back, twice.

A BAR knows more than a Mythbuster.

Just Jerry

I think we can agree the thrust to weight ratio of a 1964 Impala with 11,000 lb thrust for 23 seconds is near transonic.

The last two '67 Impalas had 5 and then 6 motors out the back. They were stacked vertical because they were concerned if one of the outboard motors didn't fire it would send the car sideways. On the last (red) car with 6 motors, the steel bar added to the front was too much causing it to nose dive off the ramp.

[IMG]JATO 3[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  JATO 3 red car.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  82.1 KB  
Old 03-17-2018, 01:25 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Claremont Rocket society

This is awesome. I came across this post on a whim search for “Claremont Rocket Society” which I participated in roughly 1972-1975. I never became an expert builder or designer or anything, but it was the coolest club in the world back then, because we were 13 year old kids playing with explosives. It just doesn’t get any better than that.

I remember Jerry, I remember my friend Eric, a kid named Dave Goldberg, and our mentor: Clay Smith, a saint among men, who assisted with building, advised on design and kept most of us out of the emergency room.

As Jerry said, we had launches every week in the park near the high school. The club sold rocket engines, chute wadding, miscellaneous spare parts and of course hot dogs and soft drinks. The area was limited and we’d try to set the launch trajectory such that the prevailing wind would set the parachutes down right on the launch pad. This was rarely successful and we usually ended up dispatching a bike recovery team at some point to fetch models out of the botanical garden across the street.

You were limited to size “C” engines and below at the park, but periodically the club had campouts on a dry lake bed in the middle of the desert where anything flew. My dad drove and helped chaperone a couple of these episodes of aeronautical anarchy.

My model-building skills were subpar at best, but I can remember making a Saturn V kit that was only slightly smaller than the real thing. My favorite project, though, was this thing called a “Camroc” which, upon reaching mission apogee, would take a grainy, poorly focused aerial black-and-white photo on a round film disc that had to be sent back to the Camroc people for developing at considerable expense. The photos looked all the same, of course: a drone’s-eye overhead view of the park, the school, the street and parking lot. Eventually, in an act of double geekery, I figured out how to develop and enlarge these photographic masterpieces myself.

I don’t think I had a date until I was 23.

Pretty sure that’s me in this photo, second from left. Kids, this is why you don’t let your mom cut your hair.

http://www.forums.rocketshoppe.com/...achmentid=41736

Thanks for the great memories Jerry.

Bob Emmet
CHS class of 1976
Old 03-18-2018, 01:20 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

My very first model rocket was an Alpha with a B6-4 on a moderately windy day. Lost it! Botanical Gardens.

The highest power rocket I ever flew there was an Enerjet 2250 with 3xF100-10. I had recovery figured out by then.

See you at a reunion or if you live within 6 hours of socal, at a rocket launch near Cantil, CA. It will blow you away!

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 08-03-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 AM
The_Ripper

“Bump”

With all the recent EnerJet posts and after my four year absence from YORF it’s only fair that I bumped my favorite EnerJet thread of all time after a reread this morning of this valuable YORF repository of information.

Nothing gets me more excited about rocketry than immersing myself in a good EnerJet thread .....

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 08-03-2019, 06:06 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
“Bump”

With all the recent EnerJet posts and after my four year absence from YORF it’s only fair that I bumped my favorite EnerJet thread of all time after a reread this morning of this valuable YORF repository of information.

Nothing gets me more excited about rocketry than immersing myself in a good EnerJet thread .....

What he said!
SAM #0031
Old 08-03-2019, 06:53 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

There's a new Enerjet in town.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=18010

BTW related to the CRS post, Dane Boles, AT Marketing guy spearheading Enerjet and former Estes Compliance and Marketing Director was our competitive launch club leader. He in West Covina, CA (West Covina Model Rocket Society) and us in Claremont, CA (Claremont Rocket Society). I found us in Parks and rec magazine occasionally and that was the 70's!

We were trendsetters for the present:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oyO5/off-fa...of-gold-live-on

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 08-04-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:09 PM
Banned

Rocketry was so much more fun, when it was illegal !

Dave F.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:33 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Had a more entertaining "Outlaw/SCOFFLAW" flavor to it anyway...

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !