Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2022, 08:23 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by olDave
somewhere outside Austin or San Antonio? did the plan "change" and I missed it?

The FAI Spacemodelling World Championship is being held near Austin next year.

This weekend is the NAR’s National Sport Launch. No competition, just lots of rockets.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:56 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Spent a few hours yesterday at the National Sport Launch. Saw and talked to Steve (Gus) and Trip. Watched Leo fire a rocket *out of his bare hands*!!! (cold power, of course). Talked so much I only flew two rockets: An Ascender and a Prowler that I flew on a pack of F15-6s that I bought from Chris's Rocket Supplies trailer.

Activity seemed a little light. No lines to speak of. People I talked to said it was busier on Saturday. Back at NSL 2008 in Orangeburg we had 269 flights on Sunday, which was our biggest day. I'll be interested what the final tally is for 2022.

My main observation was that people were a lot older this year. I saw two or three families milling about, but not many younger people out in the field.

Speaking of the field, it was nice and big, but we launched from the harvested part (thick, loose sand that could be hard to walk through) and prepped from the fallow and uncultivated part (wild grasses that were bush-hogged not very short -- just below mid-calf length. Lots of insects. The nice front lawn part was mostly unused except for the occasional recovery (my Prowler landed over there, which was nice of it).
Old 05-30-2022, 02:04 PM
7/21/61

Roy,

It was great seeing you. It’s been way too long. It was really nice meeting Jorge as well. I just want to thank the groups involved for putting on such a nice event. It was pretty obvious that a lot of hard work went into that.

Also, if people want to see about 40 of the Rockets that flew on Sunday they can head over to the NAR Facebook page. I posted a ton of photos.

Steve
Old 05-30-2022, 04:32 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com