Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Craftsman

Default Depron/Cardstock Space Camel

As we have discussed in the Space Camel thread, I have elected to throw one of these together in 'Astronized' fashion, which is to make it simple, light, and cheap. 3mm Depron was used for all the flat surfaces you see in following photos, taken with a gum cam, while the gliders main BT is made from a single ply of 65# cardstock using a BT55 for its mandrel. Chrome tape was used for the leading edges of all the main flat stuff for rigidity, and I will add a reinforcing strip of cardstock across the main span of the wing if need be.

As you can see below, I elected to go with a full length main BT and use an internal pod, ala SkyDart, with the requisite large paper clip bent and taped on the pod tube as the elevator hold down. I did not add the two small paper clips with elastic for raising the elevator yet but that just clips onto the rear of the elevator and onto the rudder. Also, you can see where I added 14" long Depron strips alongside the gliders BT to give it more of a 'boxed' look so it more resembles the original Camel. The NC is just half of a small plastic Easter Egg that fits BT55.

Weight of the glider itself is only 1.2z, and it has a span of over 13" with the length being 21". I used the picture of Micromeisters old model, and this may in fact be the D version. Is the 'correct' version the one Sirius just posted? Well, larger is better, and as the old saying goes, SIZE MATTERS.

Pod is also 1.2z, mainly due to its forward ballast, and this uses some regular BT20. I find that cardstock pods do not last long and at that size also do not save you much weight. 14" chute is from cheapy table cloth material.

I will fly this either at the upcoming ROCK launch (if the weather permits me to go) or TTRA. Due to the fact this came in lighter than expected, I may use a B motor for test, then a Quest C6 if it boosts well. If this does well, a much larger D powered upscale will be made, probably Readiboard based.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SpaceCamel01.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  269.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SpcCmlBtm.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  279.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SpcCmlFull.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  264.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SpcCmlLwr.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  295.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SpcCmlSide.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  275.7 KB  
Old 09-29-2010, 02:50 PM
We LOVE Scale, Oldies and MORE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
I used the picture of Micromeisters old model, and this may in fact be the D version. Is the 'correct' version the one Sirius just posted? Well, larger is better, and as the old saying goes, SIZE MATTERS.

I had to go find the box (which was a nice cardboard box that I use to store other stuff in) to look at the front. (Actual model looooong gone....) The pics I uploaded would have been the C - Motor version. Recommended engine: C6-0.

Looks good Mike!
Find us on Facebook: Sirius Rocketry Facebook Page!
NEW! Sirius Rocketry Blog!

NEW! Sirius Rocketry Eradicator!
Sirius Rocketry Deimos!
Shipping motors including AeroTech High Power!!
Sirius Rocketry S.S. Cestris
Sirius Rocketry Interrogator
The Sirius Rocketry Saturn 5
The Sirius Rocketry Secure Online Store

David J. Miller, Sirius Rocketry, LLC
NAR 28800 L2 TRA 2483 L2
Old 09-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Rivet Counter

Sweeet! (As always!)

I look forward to seeing it at either of the upcoming launches.

Although the remnants of Nicole might make Saturday's ROCK
launch a bit too breezy...
Old 09-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc
Sweeet! (As always!)

I look forward to seeing it at either of the upcoming launches.

Although the remnants of Nicole might make Saturday's ROCK
launch a bit too breezy...

Yes, Brian, that is what I'm concerned about. For me, its an 80 mile drive to fly on that very restricted site, and if the wind is any real issue, I will likely not be able to make it this time.

Not only did I slap this together, but I also made a Depron/cardstock Transwing thats near completion as well! Well, its really a near 2x upscale of the old Estes version, but mine is MUCH lighter (perhaps too much so) although it has a 28" span with the wings flipped out.

Going to be watching the wind forecast really close though.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Craftsman

Default Flight Report

I finally got the chance to fly this glider at todays TTRA launch.

The winds were moderately light when I flew this on a Quest C6-3, and I used a 4' long 3/16" rod.

Boosted dead straight with some rolling, and ejected right at apogee, immediantly transitioning into a rather nice glide. In fact, it was probably around a minute or so, which was a pleasant surprise indeed from something so clunky.

Since it doesnt have dihedral, it did want to roll slightly in glide if the wind it broadside, but never badly so. When I was test tossing this out in the open, I had to add two pennies to the gliders nose (taped on) and left the elevator raised about 1/2". Felt this would 'bear' into the wind better, and this seemed to be confirmed in flight.

Come to think of it, my cardstock/Depron version does look like a hybrid between the Space Camel and the Cosmos Mariner, and is likely about the same size as the latter. From the flight perfomance on just a C motor (and a Quest one at that) youd never know it.

Now for the easy cheesy Readiboard upscale, unless Brian beats me to this before the ROCK launch!