Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2015, 06:46 PM
MARS and URRG member

Default Advice on a Estes Saturn K-36

Hi guys:
I could use a little advice here.
I recently sold a K-36 Saturn on Ebay, that sold for $99. I described it as an open box as it wasn't sealed, but all parts appeared to be there (as best as I could tell without opening all of the component bags).
$99 was certainly not the price I was hoping for, but it is what it is.
The buyer just sent me a note saying he was disappointed in the sale, as I failed to mention the body tubes were not round and they were unusable. He sent pictures that showed the tubes were slightly out of round, which was typical of that kit and the way it was boxed, as I recall. He also was upset that one of the small plastic bags had been opened (courtesy of my then 3 year old daughter) and I didn't mention that.
I responded and told him the out of round on those large tubes easily straightens when the kit is assembled.
As to the opened plastic bag, that never dawned on me to mention that, as no parts were removed...
Even though I don't take returns, I told him he could send it back in the original boxing, and I would refund his $ if he was unhappy.
I wonder how he would have reacted if the kit was sealed, and upon opening he discovered the large BTs were flattened as some of the K-36's were?
I guess I just assumed someone bidding on a kit of this nature was an experienced rocketeer, who knew what he was bidding on. In retrospect maybe I should have included more information in my listing, but then again bidders certainly had a chance to ask me any questions ,especially knowing it was an opened box...
Any thoughts/advice on my approach to resolving this?
Thanks
Greg
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
Old 07-25-2015, 07:40 PM
Master Modeler

I have both the Estes and Centuri vintage 1/100 scale Saturn - V's and I recall the main body tubes of both were not perfectly round before I started construction. Once the centering rings are installed during construction, the tubes will be just fine. Due to the wider diameter, those 101 tubes are seldom perfectly round without internal support.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:58 PM
Dazed and Confused

The guy isn't much of a builder if he's bent out of shape about oval BT-101's. As for the plastic bag being open, one would assume he bought it "open box" to build, not to collect. As long as all the parts are there, it's perfect for a builder's kit and should be a non-issue. It sounds like he wants to keep the kit and is just extorting you for a partial refund to keep your feedback at 100%.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:26 PM
Old Submariner

As an ebay Power Seller myself, I've personally encountered this before also. Offer a full refund payable after the kit has been returned to you safely, but stand your ground and NEVER give a partial refund--that's a slippery slope.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-25-2015, 11:29 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Offer the buyer TWO choices and TWO only.
1) Return the kit for a FULL refund.
2) Keep the kit for what he paid and STFU.

NEVER get involved in partial refunds. This clown is a scammer looking for any reason to weasel part of his $$ back.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-26-2015, 07:54 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Greg, I've sold a lot on Ebay over the years, and one thing I've learned is that not every transaction is going to be perfect. Your best bet is to be pretty careful in your description to point out anything that the buyer might take exception to. I know as a buyer that it's never fun to get an item that doesn't meet expectations and then face the double hit of paying return postage plus having the seller tell me that he doesn't refund my original shipping cost. That equates to full protection for the seller and no protection for the buyer.

I can certainly sympathize with you on this one..............the small opened bag probably seemed trivial to you. My advice is to do whatever works for you to keep your customer happy, and that would include a partial refund as long as it's reasonable. Even if you take a bit of a hit on this one, these situations pop up no more than 1% of the time, so averaged out, a small loss now is fairly insignificant.

Just for the record, my position in such a situation is this: if the customer can show me that his position is strong, I offer a full refund including shipping (both ways) upon safe return of the item, or a partial refund up to the amount I would lose on the double shipping refund.

Joe
Old 07-26-2015, 08:27 AM
MARS and URRG member

Thanks for your advice folks!
I have bought on Ebay for years, but only have sold a few items when I first joined. The 4 rockets I just sold were my first time back as a seller. It will likely be my last for a while.
I was planning on meeting him part way - refunding all of his original costs (including shipping), but I was not planning on covering his return shipping costs given all of the K-36's large BTs were slightly (and that's all we're talking here) out of round, so the kit is exactly as I and everyone else back then received it from Estes.
My posting did describe the kit as open, and stated to the best of my knowledge all parts were present. The only thing I did not describe was the slight out of round of the tubes. (Point well taken Joe, thanks).
Since I just saw a question posted here in another thread by Ltvscout - I will share the purchaser of my K-36 is goodrocks1.
It sounds as though he might be an experienced purchaser/seller...
Greg
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
Old 07-26-2015, 09:39 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg young
Since I just saw a question posted here in another thread by Ltvscout - I will share the purchaser of my K-36 is goodrocks1.
Greg

That tells me he knew what he was getting and just wants to extort a partial refund. If you give him the partial refund, you will see your kit up for sale under his name soon.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Craftsman

The buyer is well aware of what to expect with that kit. He has sold a few.
He just won't be able to make a killing off of it on resale.
He is nit picking, let the sale stand.
Or, if you get it back, send me a PM.
I've always wanted one.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:55 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg young
Thanks for your advice folks!
I have bought on Ebay for years, but only have sold a few items when I first joined. The 4 rockets I just sold were my first time back as a seller. It will likely be my last for a while.
I was planning on meeting him part way - refunding all of his original costs (including shipping), but I was not planning on covering his return shipping costs given all of the K-36's large BTs were slightly (and that's all we're talking here) out of round, so the kit is exactly as I and everyone else back then received it from Estes.
My posting did describe the kit as open, and stated to the best of my knowledge all parts were present. The only thing I did not describe was the slight out of round of the tubes. (Point well taken Joe, thanks).
Greg

Greg, I found no fault with you on the oval tubes..............that is perfectly normal on any large diameter Estes kit, and your photos probably showed that. The only item on which the buyer could take exception would have been the opened small parts bag since that probably didn't show in your photos and you made no mention of it in your description.

Joe