Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Cardstock Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2022, 05:44 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Found Old Video - Saturn V go BANG!

With anything you try, there are failures.

I was testing the upper limits of how much Air PSI could they handle.

Well several launches at 90 PSI seemed to work. Just before increasing to 95lbs, the Saturn V binded as it was going up the launch barrel. KaBOOM! It was windy and thinking the wind might have had something to do with the binding.

Video link at 90PSI : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imsad7uboME

Here's another one going KaBluey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H54Iwkb9nmk

Found those, forgot about them being posted. Thought you might want to see.

Mike
Old 01-29-2022, 02:06 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Parts on Order

Okay, been some time since my last Estes D12-3 launch in the 80's.

Catto'd, but it is rebuildable. Parts purchased to get it back in the air.

Plenty of other gear from both Estes and Hobbylinc. Both shipments by ground to Alaska means minimum 6-weeks to get here.

Will have some rockets ready to launch by then.

Initial internal tube will be BT50 for the shock of the ejection charge, a cardstock tube will be mated to the BT50 for most of the length of the rocket.

Have this really cool stuff called No Burn it is sprayed from a spray bottle onto what ever you don't want to burn. Mainly used in the past to help wood paneling, interior woodwork and the like to meet fire codes. etc.. Mentions paper products as well.

When I used it for my Pulsejet Powered Airplane it was tested to see how it worked. Printed a test piece of cardstock with ink-see if it distorts the ink like water does, sprayed some on waited till it dried.

Fired up a propane torch and timed how long each time the flame was on the cardstock. It never caught on fire-it did eventually turn to ash.
Each time a darker area formed near the edge that I kept sliding over as the initial flame on the cardstock. Each time got darker and darker until it was black ash.

It isn't hazmat so can ship easy, bought mine on amazon years ago. 32oz spray bottle was around $15. Wondering if spraying toilet paper with this would work for wadding.

No local hobby unless I drive to Anchorage.180-miles away. Have to make do with what is available, yes I have wadding on the way, but what happens if I run out.

I'll have an answer in a few on this thought-video will soon be posted.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1780.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  350.4 KB  

Last edited by mbauer : 01-29-2022 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Video Added Photo
Old 02-05-2022, 09:11 AM
Cardstock Designer

Default Estes Package Arrived

My Estes order arrived yesterday.

Been some time (1990's) since last purchase of Rocket supplies. Been using air since 2008.

1/60 scale Saturn V will get built today/tomorrow. D12-3 power should lift, will find out about the drag curve and if the 3-second delay is short enough. Rocket should weigh below 10oz.

Plan to use a BT-50 tube for the bottom part of the ejection charge tube. Decided to slip a cardstock tube over one end for the rest of the length. The ejection charge looses PSI and heat as it travels.

The cardstock tube in use for the air pressure launches could handle 90# of pressure-the heat is what I'm worried about. Don't need a flaming Saturn V arching across the sky.

Using this method to start the testing is safer than using just cardstock for the first flight.

Just re-drew my deployment system. Emailed Estes and asked some questions. One reply was the ejection charge traveling that far would lose PSI and it was suggested to use a BT-20 size tube to keep the PSI up.

This got me to thinking. Woke up in the middle of the night last night. A whole picture of an interesting design was what I was seeing.

Good thing there wasn't any voices this time, it could have gotten weird that time of the morning.

Going to use a "badminton" ejection capsule. CSM, Capsule and LM Cover will be the parts to break apart. A small tube or plug will extend into the ejection charge tube. When the PSI rises it should pop the top and deploy the chute.

Also printed is a 1/48 size Saturn V. Estimating weight, an E12-4 should work for it.

Will post photos as the build progresses.

I did some testing on the toilet paper coated with NO BURN. Side by side to an untreated square. Used a propane torch for the test.

The untreated instantly burned, the coated smoked, turned black, no flames and the paper was not turned to ash-the top layer was black the underside was gray and still paper. 3/4 of the sheet was black-held the flame on it longer than the uncoated as the untreated burned so fast there wasn't anything to aim the flame at.

Looks like No Burn will work with toilet paper for wadding.

Note:
After these two are flying, plan to get into the R/C Gliders.

Aerotech order has been drawn up, waiting on payday to checkout. Looking at F-106, F16 and F-104 for the first models. Even the small 4.5oz models will be R/C using smaller servos. All will be Elevon control, except for the F-104 which will be rudder only.
Since I'm trying to raise funds to buy a Subsonex - a Subsonex will be designed as well.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer : 02-05-2022 at 10:22 AM. Reason: adding scale notes-yesterday vs today....Subsonex
Old 02-14-2022, 08:51 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Updates On 1/60 Scale Saturn V

Been cutting parts. Lots of small parts to cut. Three sheets cut up into smaller parts, final trimming almost done for the small stuff. Fuselage parts cut quick.

Plan on doing something different. Bought a sheet of 3/16" foam board. Will make all internal bulkheads using the foam board. Add weight, but the strength will make up for it.

Should be gluing later tonight and tomorrow after work. Busy after that until the weekend.

Mike
Old 02-15-2022, 01:09 AM
Cardstock Designer

Default 1/60 Size Saturn V Parts Cut Out

All of the parts for the 1/60 Size Saturn V have been cut out. A few have been glued.

A couple of photos below.

1838 is the top part of the lower stages need glued to the main fuselage before rolling and gluing.

1839 Main Parts are cut out. Ziplock bag holds all the really small ones so they don't get scattered.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PICT1838.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  264.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1839.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  310.0 KB  
Old 02-15-2022, 02:03 AM
Cardstock Designer

Default Main Parts Glued

Took 33-minutes to glue all the main parts:

A few photos showing the parts and a couple showing the 2" diameter PVC pipe with the double sided tape rings holding the big parts so I can glue them with ease.

1852 3rd stage getting glued on 2" PVC

1853 Stages 1 & 2 getting glued on the 2" PVC. You can see some of the older double sided tape rings. Placed 12" apart three of them hold the sheet in place while I glue.

1856 Same

1859 Parts

Weighed all of the parts, foam bulkheads, cardstock and Bt-50 tube, everything except for the glue and parachute. Total comes to 9.5 oz. Some of the major gluing has already been done on the fuselage shell. It should be close to the projected 10-oz for a D12-3 launch.

Hoping it is real close to my estimated weight total, if I get close that means the 1/48 should fly on a E12-4.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PICT1852.JPG
Views: 55
Size:  258.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1853.JPG
Views: 55
Size:  276.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1856.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  287.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  PICT1859.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  320.2 KB  

Last edited by mbauer : 02-15-2022 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:58 PM
Craftsman

Using this material what is the weight of the x-15
Old 02-15-2022, 09:58 PM
Cardstock Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
Using this material what is the weight of the x-15

4ft long X-15 weighs 7.5oz before adding weight to balance. 10oz RTF.

Mike
Old 02-15-2022, 10:08 PM
Craftsman

Okay so if I put a 53 g motor in the tail and then two servos and mmt and in the front the receiver and battery, and nose weight
It's pushing around 15 -16oz, thats close to my 1/14 42" long foam and tubing rc version so not too bad. Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
4ft long X-15 weighs 7.5oz before adding weight to balance. 10oz RTF.

Mike
Old 02-16-2022, 12:23 AM
Cardstock Designer

Default X-15 Old

Still have that X-15-its pushing 10-y/o. It was an experiment on internal wing structure. Instead of using ribs, used a double sheet of cardstock to maintain the airfoil.

It worked for low power launches, 40lbs of air pressure, anything over that, the wings would fold at the wing root.

Will be drawing a newer version using the detail photos I took of the one at Wright-Patterson AFB Museum last June.

To save weight instead of cardstock spars, now use balsa-lighter/stronger but they break instead of tear like the cardstock does.

Really like watching your glider videos. Thanks for posting them!

Mike