Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default FS (maybe): Repro Estes Odyssey/Rigel 3 nose cone

Hi gang...

Just getting back into rocketry with the son, and I showed him all the old catalogs from my youth to give him ideas of what can be done.

He's been wanting to build a 2 stager, and after looking through the catalogs, he's decided he wants to clone a Rigel 3. Naturally.

So, I've been able to get a nose cone after much searching, and instead of just having a single cone, I'm setting up to try and make a mold and cast a couple pieces for spares/additional builds... I figure I may as well build an Odyssey at the same time.

Anyways, if I am successful at creating a repro cone, I was wondering if anyone here would want one? I can make a few more as easily as just a couple for myself. I'm going to try a couple techniques to see what comes out best, so it could be a single piece cone, or a two piece that needs to be glued together. May even be foam filled.

Cost would vary depending on the number of cones I have to make, but would likely be ~$5-7 plus shipping to cover all the material costs.

Cheers,
- Ken
Old 09-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Master Modeler

From one Ken to another

I haven't looked at the cone for that one, but, I might have some. Did you try Estes customer service, just by chance they may have some as well.

Ken
RD
Old 09-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
From one Ken to another

I haven't looked at the cone for that one, but, I might have some. Did you try Estes customer service, just by chance they may have some as well.

Ken
RD

I hadn't actually thought of calling Estes. The cone has been OOP for so long, and every reference on the net seems to indicate that these are impossible to get outside of existing kits.

Nonetheless, it's a good thought. I'll give them a call.

Cheers,
- Ken
Old 09-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Master Modeler

I will have to look that kit up to see the shape of the cone, like I said, I might have some.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Master Modeler

[
All I have had to do is ask Carl at Semroc for a cone, and he has made them up for me, even if it wasn't a stock size. You might want to try them out.

"Those who trade liberty for security have neither" - Benjamin Franklin

"Semroc is almost always the answer" - Stefanj

www.paulsavia.com

www.soundclick.com/paulsavia
Old 09-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMan
[
All I have had to do is ask Carl at Semroc for a cone, and he has made them up for me, even if it wasn't a stock size. You might want to try them out.

Folks,

The Odyssey/Rigel cone is the PNC-55CB. It's the weird molded one that looks like something from an 80's sci-fi show.

If this was a normal cone of any kind, I'd just buy one from Semroc or BMS et al.

I've attached an image from JimZ to clarify.

Cheers,
- Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  odyssey.gif
Views: 232
Size:  7.1 KB  
Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Retired Missile Technician

I thought that David Miller of Sirius Rocketry had this cone from his Moldin' Oldies line. It is not on the website nor do I have one of his or an original. He is set up to do the resin cones, but someone with an original would have to let him borrow one to make the mold. I had a Rigel 3 a while back. Must have given it away or sold it in one of the many military moves.

Bother.

Chas
Old 09-22-2009, 09:40 PM
BP Mafia

When Mike Schmidt had Moldin' Oldies, I sent him my Odyssey cone so that he could try making a reproduction. He said that all of the oddities on the cone made for some spots too thick and others too thin.
I sent some scans off a few years ago, possibly to Gordon? Not sure if anything ever came of that.
If this works, put me down for a couple.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Compulsive BAR

Send a message via MSN to Bob Thomas Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Thomas
Default Pnc-55cb

I had some scans of the cone and made an attempt to build one. With a balsa forward section - foamsheet detailing and some built up dollhouse hardwood parts for the remaiding sections. It was coming out a little heavy and not very pretty.

I then acquired the cone from an used Odyssey purchase and tried to make a mold of it. Didn't turn out too well. First the mold making compound (can't recall formula) might have contained amonia or some other caustic that ate through the finish and made it even more brittle than its 20 year age did. The cone was very thin to begin with, almost like thin styrene. I abandoned the attempt when the mold created a warped cast.

I still have hopes to someday finish fabricating the cone and re-creating the Rigel 3.

I already redrew the decal so I would be interested in the cone if you are able to make it.

Bob
Old 09-23-2009, 03:46 AM
Old BAR

Ken,
If you are successful, I'd like a couple myself!
Allen