Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2012, 11:04 PM
timorley's Avatar
timorley timorley is offline
That 70's Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bright, Indiana
Posts: 374
Default Centuri KB-7 Arrow 300

This was a really quick build, the Estes Fin Alignment Guide helped make quick work of the 12 fins. A few years ago I bought this as an open kit, it was missing the fin sheets, but Semroc to the rescue! The long ST-8 was a little roughed up on one end, but the ST-7 to ST-8 centering ring for the 3rd stage engine tube is almost an inch long, so it helped take care of the issue. This is one tall an skinny rocket!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Arrow300_4752.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  145.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Arrow300_4753.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  111.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Arrow300_4754.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  84.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Arrow300_4755.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  110.2 KB  
__________________
Tim

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SWORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-2012, 05:57 AM
chrism chrism is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorley
This was a really quick build, the Estes Fin Alignment Guide helped make quick work of the 12 fins. A few years ago I bought this as an open kit, it was missing the fin sheets, but Semroc to the rescue! The long ST-8 was a little roughed up on one end, but the ST-7 to ST-8 centering ring for the 3rd stage engine tube is almost an inch long, so it helped take care of the issue. This is one tall an skinny rocket!



Tim could you give the body tube lengths? I looked at the plans on YORP, but Centuri gave no part numbers for the parts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-03-2012, 08:19 AM
foamy's Avatar
foamy foamy is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 1,109
Default

Huh. I'd always wondered about the fins on that model. I didn't know if they were all the same size or not. Guess now I have my answer.

And yeah, you're right, that's tall skinny, sure enough. Looking forward to seeing the paint.
__________________
Retro-grouch
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Joe Wooten's Avatar
Joe Wooten Joe Wooten is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 912
Default

I built one of those back in the 80's. It flew well, but did have a tendency to weatherc o c k in a slight breeze. The cardboard fins also had a tendency to warp over time. I also noticed the first two stages were the same as the #8 booster. When I built a clone in the 90's, I sued thin basswood instead of cardboard for the fins.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Earl's Avatar
Earl Earl is offline
Apollo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
Huh. I'd always wondered about the fins on that model. I didn't know if they were all the same size or not. Guess now I have my answer.

And yeah, you're right, that's tall skinny, sure enough. Looking forward to seeing the paint.


The Centuri Buck Rogers Laser Lance and one other kit went on to use this same fin set.

Here's a link to an earlier thread on the Laser Lance.....see post #19 for a scan of the fin sheet.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...highlight=Lance


Earl
__________________
Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
NAR# 29523
TRA# 962
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-03-2012, 11:04 AM
timorley's Avatar
timorley timorley is offline
That 70's Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bright, Indiana
Posts: 374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
Tim could you give the body tube lengths? I looked at the plans on YORP, but Centuri gave no part numbers for the parts.


ST-8 Payload Tube is 8 inches long
ST-8 Main Tube is 15.75 inches long
ST-7 Engine Tubes are 3 inches long
The CR-78 centering ring in my kit measured 13/16" long

The plans on JimZ list all the parts and sizes. http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/cen5037.htm
__________________
Tim

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SWORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-03-2012, 11:44 AM
sandman's Avatar
sandman sandman is offline
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Way North of Detroit
Posts: 4,863
Default

I have the decals in red but if you select a different paint scheme I can change the color for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  arrow300.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  36.6 KB  
__________________
"I'm a sandman. I've never killed anyone. I terminate runners when their time is up." Logan from "Logan's Run"

http://sandmandecals.com/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-03-2012, 11:44 AM
timorley's Avatar
timorley timorley is offline
That 70's Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bright, Indiana
Posts: 374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
I built one of those back in the 80's. It flew well, but did have a tendency to weatherc o c k in a slight breeze. The cardboard fins also had a tendency to warp over time. I also noticed the first two stages were the same as the #8 booster. When I built a clone in the 90's, I sued thin basswood instead of cardboard for the fins.


I considered paper laminated 1/16" balsa. But I went ahead and ordered the Semroc fiber fins. The Semroc fins are pretty rigid, so I have hopes for them.
__________________
Tim

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SWORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Doug Sams's Avatar
Doug Sams Doug Sams is offline
Old Far...er...Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Plano, TX resident since 1998.
Posts: 3,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorley
I considered paper laminated 1/16" balsa. But I went ahead and ordered the Semroc fiber fins. The Semroc fins are pretty rigid, so I have hopes for them.
If you get a good finish on them - ie, get them sealed well - they should not warp and hence should last a long time. OTOH, they will be susceptible to permanent deformation if they, for example, get left in a distorted position for a long time, such as when the rocket is laying on its side resting on the fins. That is, balsa won't bend but fiber will

Anyway, I'm glad you're building this. I keep resisting the temptation to start a clone, knowing I already have enough projects going, most of them in extended duration limbo

Doug

.
__________________
YORF member #11
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2012, 12:24 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,428
Default

Always wanted an Arrow 300 as a kid but never built one. Might have to make a BT60 or BT70 upscale for 24mm power my next project.

Would be neat on an E12 to E12 to E12 full stakk.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and DITCH the brake !!!
No Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2019