Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2020, 10:37 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Stack
What a great post (apart from the initial launch issues/frustrations)!

Good looking models, a pretty fall day, suitable venue, and even a semi-interested audience. Can't ask for much more than that for yourself, and for those for whom you became an informal model rocketry ambassador.

Pity that even more interest was not shown by any of the potential STEM students out there on the field...

They actually did stop and watch the flight that recovered on the infield. No applause or anything, but they didn't try to pick it up and stuff it in a trash can like the dog park people did years ago. I consider that acceptance.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 10-06-2020, 10:46 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
I typically launch with the Tripoli guys which isn’t a problem of any kind, they always put up a multi rod LPR pad and everyone seems to get a kick out of all my smaller rockets going up, but next time I have a chance to fly with the NAR club I think an all Semroc & Centuri fleet would be a hoot! I have both but more Semroc than Centuri. Looked like a fun morning - nice pix 👍

Estes has promised improved starters - mentioned late last year before the pandemic heated up and again during vNARAM...hopefully they actually are improved and we start seeing them soon.

I had quite a few left in the box that didn't get flown. This could easily have been a 20 flight afternoon. Several had issues that kept them from flying. The Der V-1.5 had a fin that the glue had softened on and bent when I flew in 90+ degree temps with the club a few weeks back. The Nomad had lost one of the launch lugs and the Vega had no dog barf. I had the Snipe Hunter, the WAC Corporal and the VF-261 ready to go if the field stayed empty.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 10-08-2020, 05:03 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I had quite a few left in the box that didn't get flown. This could easily have been a 20 flight afternoon. Several had issues that kept them from flying. The Der V-1.5 had a fin that the glue had softened on and bent when I flew in 90+ degree temps with the club a few weeks back. The Nomad had lost one of the launch lugs and the Vega had no dog barf. I had the Snipe Hunter, the WAC Corporal and the VF-261 ready to go if the field stayed empty.
Sorry been off the forum a few days ... Bill you are a rocket flying machine! I almost picked up a Der V-1.5 on eBay the other day. Another rocket that I missed out on when it was originally available due to procrastination. Der V-1.5 is pretty cool.
I noticed that FlightSketch still has the Snipe Hunter in stock if anyone wants to purchase one instead of searching eBay for it.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 10-09-2020, 06:14 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Sorry been off the forum a few days ... Bill you are a rocket flying machine! I almost picked up a Der V-1.5 on eBay the other day. Another rocket that I missed out on when it was originally available due to procrastination. Der V-1.5 is pretty cool.
I noticed that FlightSketch still has the Snipe Hunter in stock if anyone wants to purchase one instead of searching eBay for it.

I think the Der V-1.5 was another of Carl's "throw ins". I never bought it and for the longest time I couldn't bring myself to paint it because I couldn't think of a paint scheme. Then I realized that I could paint it in the factor colors and put the decals on and have a Semroc original. Easy choice.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-09-2020, 06:27 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin

I think the Der V-1.5 was another of Carl's "throw ins". I never bought it and for the longest time I couldn't bring myself to paint it because I couldn't think of a paint scheme. Then I realized that I could paint it in the factor colors and put the decals on and have a Semroc original. Easy choice.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-09-2020, 06:51 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Nice outing, and beats my flight count for the entire year!

We still have fires in the mountains 10-15 miles away, and the sky is hazy, and ash is noticeable on our patio furniture. Of course, that means fire bans still in effect.

Alamosa is having a launch tomorrow (NSL-2021 site), but we just got back from a road trip, so driving almost 300 miles one way just isn’t going to happen.

Finally, I congratulate you in your ability to still get the girls to squeal...

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 10-09-2020, 07:33 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Nice outing, and beats my flight count for the entire year!

We still have fires in the mountains 10-15 miles away, and the sky is hazy, and ash is noticeable on our patio furniture. Of course, that means fire bans still in effect.

Alamosa is having a launch tomorrow (NSL-2021 site), but we just got back from a road trip, so driving almost 300 miles one way just isn’t going to happen.

Finally, I congratulate you in your ability to still get the girls to squeal...

Some things never change. At least this time they weren't screaming "POLICE!"

I miss being SAM 0058