Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2020, 10:08 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Fell back in....

Hello. Fell out of rocketry for a while (ten years or so...interest faded after our local club in Cincinnati lost the field at VOA). A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning out my father's storage lockers and retrieved my old rocket stuff (I"d put in storage there since it's climate controlled and had the space ). I guess it rekindled the interest....a couple days later I found myself launching my old Delta Saucer in the backyard for a couple flights (A10 powered). Tonight I dusted off my Big Daddy and brought it to the neighborhood park for a couple of flights (2 on the C11-3, one D12-5). The Big Daddy was a joy to watch....slow and straight up. The C11's landed about 20' from the pad & the D12 about 75' from the pad. The launch controller allowed me to connect with the past...it was my vintage 1976 Astron controller (along with the pad). The engines were of 2007 vintage.

Kind of funny...the Big Daddy had a 24mm reload stuffed in it, but don't remember what's loaded in it! (It's from the VOA days...I think it's an F14, but not sure....). Undecided if I should find a big field and let fly or just unload the engine and destroy the loading. Leaning towards the latter as not sure I could still trust those O rings..

Have quite a few kits in need of repair and a whole box full of kits still to assemble (including a couple that were assembled but not painted). Guess I have to get busy as I see some more flights coming in the future ;-)
Old 09-12-2020, 10:56 PM
Apollo Nut

Welcome back! Looks like you fell back in to the right place! But, I hope the 'cleaning out the storage lockers' part was not as sad as it sounded.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-13-2020, 07:22 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

I echo Earl's sentiments. Hopefully, your Dad is still with you, perhaps in a retirement home.

But welcome back. Always nice when another wanderling returns to the fold.

As for the reload, is it not possible to open it and check the propellant and o-rings? I have no experience with reloads, so my ignorance on the subject may be showing through here, but I'm betting the propellant is in good shape, so why waste it?

Joe
Old 09-13-2020, 08:51 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by caheaton
Hello. Fell out of rocketry for a while (ten years or so...interest faded after our local club in Cincinnati lost the field at VOA). A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning out my father's storage lockers and retrieved my old rocket stuff (I"d put in storage there since it's climate controlled and had the space ). I guess it rekindled the interest....a couple days later I found myself launching my old Delta Saucer in the backyard for a couple flights (A10 powered). Tonight I dusted off my Big Daddy and brought it to the neighborhood park for a couple of flights (2 on the C11-3, one D12-5). The Big Daddy was a joy to watch....slow and straight up. The C11's landed about 20' from the pad & the D12 about 75' from the pad. The launch controller allowed me to connect with the past...it was my vintage 1976 Astron controller (along with the pad). The engines were of 2007 vintage.

Kind of funny...the Big Daddy had a 24mm reload stuffed in it, but don't remember what's loaded in it! (It's from the VOA days...I think it's an F14, but not sure....). Undecided if I should find a big field and let fly or just unload the engine and destroy the loading. Leaning towards the latter as not sure I could still trust those O rings..

Have quite a few kits in need of repair and a whole box full of kits still to assemble (including a couple that were assembled but not painted). Guess I have to get busy as I see some more flights coming in the future ;-)

The remnants of QUARK now launch in Dayton as the Wright Stuff Rocketeers. We're in small field mode at the moment, but once the corn is in we'll be launching in the corn/soybean field near Cedarville. I thought there was a launch scheduled next weekend, but it may have been scratched to take advantage of the ROCI launch in Muncie. There is also a club flying under the old QUARK section number out of Lebanon, but I haven't seen much of them lately.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-13-2020, 09:09 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thanks all for the welcome's. Sadly, I was cleaning out the storage units due to my father passing away last December (he was 87). At least he didn't have to worry about COVID....plus it happened in his sleep so if you have to go, that's the best way.

As for the motor, I agree...why waste it? I think I'll go ahead and save it until I can fly it. I think I did fly once with the Dayton group shortly after VOA closed....will have to hook up with you guys again and give it a go :-) . It'll be good to be able to give the G Force some flying time as well...it only had 2 flights on it before going into storage. (Though I've run some sims and the F67 & F52 look like they could work for some low and slow flights in that model.)

Craig
Old 09-13-2020, 10:48 AM
BP Mafia

I was wrong about the Muncie launch being next weekend. It's actually happening today, which means that the Dayton launch next weekend might still be on.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-13-2020, 12:30 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thanks for the update, Bill. Maybe I'll head up to Dayton if I get a chance...otherwise I'll catch you all the next time. Thank you,
Craig