Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It may very well have been a more powerful motor. I'm just stating that it wasn't as powerful as what was listed.

Understand. Since motors from that era pre-date my experience in rocketry, I simply have no personal experience with them to know one way or the other.

But having heard and read stories about how ingredients for the motors could vary batch-to-batch, I've often wondered just how well they were able to keep motors within spec on any true basis, even though I know a certain percentage of each batch is tested at the plant. And then there is the NAR safety and contest certs on top of that......just seems like some tight constraints to meet ALL the time.

Maybe Chas can chime in here and provide some first hand observations from his days on NAR S&T from back in the early 70s.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Craftsman

Thanks for the motor info! I was going to ask about when the change came about, but based on the Centuri Model Rocket Engine Substitution Chart, (and the fact I remember A8-3, not A.8-3) I see that it occurred just before I became interested in the hobby when I was in grade school, as the colors on the engines (sorry, that is how I learned it....) signified booster, single stage, or upper-stage engines by then.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'll stick by my statement regardless of the listed total impulses. Go to the NAR motor data site and you will find that Estes catalog numbers are consistently and considerably higher than test data and have been as long as I can remember. With that in mind, the old listed lb-sec numbers would have also been inflated regardless of designation. Back in the good old days Estes made custom runs of motors for the Internats because the motors were not close to the max impulse listed in their catalogs.

I do recall that black powder was more potent decades ago, but I believe that the motors just used less volume for the same total impulse, making some of the long delay motors and deep cored motors of those days impossible to duplicate today.

Its a function charcoal content. Charcoal costs have been going up, so charcoal content has been going down. Charcoal is the fuel for the reaction, while Sulfur lowers the temperature needed for the reaction and Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) provides the Oxygen for the reaction.

As the quality and content of the charcoal has been reduced, so has the specific impulse of the propellant.

Look at me sounding like some sort of rocket scientist!

Jonathan

P.s. the main reason the A.8-3 x4 motors were able to lift the Uprated Saturn 1b was the higher specific impulse of the motors; a function of propellent formulation and nozzle design.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Well, I was really hoping that someone would have some further information about the kit. I'm just not a big Estes collector at all so I thought I was simply ignorant about this kit.

I sent Vern an email at both addresses I had for him (one bounced). I don't hold high hopes of hearing back from him via that route. I have his personal mailing address in my customer database and will probably eventually send him a letter with a self-addresses envelope enclosed to let him easily jot down what he might recall about the kit and drop that back in the mail to me.

Sometime in the next few days I'll photo the kit contents and post those, but there is nothing 'different' in the parts really. Actually, there is 'less' to this kit than a standard flying Saturn V.

Since I'm not a big Estes collector I'll probably not hang on to this kit, but would eventually like to know more about how many may have been produced.

Earl

Earl,

Before you sell, let me have a chance at the kit. I rubbed your back with the "OuR" Rocket footage!

Jonathan
Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
It may very well have been a more powerful motor. I'm just stating that it wasn't as powerful as what was listed.

It was more powerful as were all of the 1960's motors; Charcoal was better quality back in those days... well Estes paid for a better quality charcoal back in those days

Jonathan
Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Master Modeler

Unfortunately the KSC gift shop is sold out of these but they do carry the Estes Flash launch set.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
Unfortunately the KSC gift shop is sold out of these but they do carry the Estes Flash launch set.

Well, dang! That storm across the Midwest last week must've held up the truck from Penrose.

Earl

Seriously, my biggest curiosity about the kit is how long it may have been sold there at KSC and what the production numbers were. Must have been fairly limited since so far I've not been able to find a single other reference to the kit anywhere.
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
I'll stick by my statement regardless of the listed total impulses. Go to the NAR motor data site and you will find that Estes catalog numbers are consistently and considerably higher than test data and have been as long as I can remember. With that in mind, the old listed lb-sec numbers would have also been inflated regardless of designation. Back in the good old days Estes made custom runs of motors for the Internats because the motors were not close to the max impulse listed in their catalogs.

I do recall that black powder was more potent decades ago, but I believe that the motors just used less volume for the same total impulse, making some of the long delay motors and deep cored motors of those days impossible to duplicate today.

Your point is taken, as black powder varies enough that they have to underpower it a bit to stay under the limit with the tolerances they have to allow. But it still doesn't change the fact that the limits were different back then. Therefore an A.8-3 had just a bit more propellant (0.135 oz) than an A8-3 (0.11 oz). Note that I'm not saying those numbers are exact and accurate. I'm saying their proportion is more than likely accurate. I.E. the metric motor is about 20% less powerful than the english motor, whatever their total power is.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Your point is taken, as black powder varies enough that they have to underpower it a bit to stay under the limit with the tolerances they have to allow. But it still doesn't change the fact that the limits were different back then. Therefore an A.8-3 had just a bit more propellant (0.135 oz) than an A8-3 (0.11 oz). Note that I'm not saying those numbers are exact and accurate. I'm saying their proportion is more than likely accurate. I.E. the metric motor is about 20% less powerful than the english motor, whatever their total power is.

Well isn't it obvious that the motors were indeed more powerful; after all, the motors were able to lift the model with a good safety factor.

Manufactures like Estes would test their models with all kinds of delay types, impulses, and differing degrees of build skill/quality. I am 99.999% sure that Estes engineers made 1b's with miss aligned fins, miss aligned tubes, et al., and determined that the product would indeed operate despite an 8 year old tackling the model

Jonathan
Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Kit Contents Photos

And finally, some photos of the kit parts themselves.

It was interesting to note that each body tube was packed with the shreaded newspaper; a nice touch. I don't know if this was normal with the typical Estes Saturn V kits back then, but is different than any other kit I've seen before.

I included a photo of the box 'end' label, since I don't think that was included in the first batch of photos posted.

Also, there were THREE different of the standard Estes 'quality control' numbered paper slips in this kit (I'll post photos of those in the next batch). I think one was in the box 'at large', one inside the plastic parts bag, and one inside the main body tube.

I'll post more later tonight or tomorrow.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes K-36NF Kit1--3450.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  135.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes K-36NF Kit2--3451.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  143.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes K-36NF Kit3--3453.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  109.3 KB  Click image for larger version