Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2020, 11:41 AM
Sometimes collector

Default Breaking the Drought - E6 Monocopter

My basement partly flooded in November (water heater) which caused a lot of financial and physical upheaval, so I haven’t been doing much Rocketry. With launches cancelled, I ordered an Aerotech RC case and E6 reloads from Dynasoar Rocketry, best price around. I have an Art Applewhite Monocopter which takes a 24mm motor I have flown many times. I finally got out this morning in the fog to the park to fly it. The E6 uses the RC case which is machined from an aluminum block and is closed at one end. The propellant is an end burning slug of Blue Thunder which has a slot just at the end to provide an ignition spike. The igniter I think is a Fire Fire Jr which is so large it won’t fit through the nozzle and has to be built in. In the fog the igniter sparks and flame were visible. The E6 is a full E and burns for over 7 seconds, and the flight was one of the best ever, better than a single use E6 it flew on many years ago. With other motors if the Monocopter goes high enough it will autorotate part way down, but I think the weight of the case prevented that. In Monocopters because they are spinning so fast, gasses inside the motor going straight toward the nozzle can be turned and impinge on the inside end of the casing. This has caused E9s and Quest E5s to non-catastrophically pinhole burn through near the end of the burn, while other motors don’t. See the pictures, the liner did it’s job and protected the casing but I can’t recommend any one try this. I was careful to have the slot perpendicular to the rotation plane to provide some additional protection to the side of the case before that propellant burned away.

Flight Video

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  6D6F0D6D-4866-4A72-8830-18D9E39AB37E.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  1.54 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  091CE2B7-EB75-44C0-B0A2-74D290F83376.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  999.7 KB  
Old 03-20-2020, 12:45 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Cool flight.
I'd paint it fluorescent orange though.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-20-2020, 04:16 PM
Sometimes collector

Agree, I have been meaning to paint it.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:12 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
My basement partly flooded in November (water heater) which caused a lot of financial and physical upheaval, so I haven’t been doing much Rocketry. With launches cancelled, I ordered an Aerotech RC case and E6 reloads from Dynasoar Rocketry, best price around. I have an Art Applewhite Monocopter which takes a 24mm motor I have flown many times. I finally got out this morning in the fog to the park to fly it. The E6 uses the RC case which is machined from an aluminum block and is closed at one end. The propellant is an end burning slug of Blue Thunder which has a slot just at the end to provide an ignition spike. The igniter I think is a Fire Fire Jr which is so large it won’t fit through the nozzle and has to be built in. In the fog the igniter sparks and flame were visible. The E6 is a full E and burns for over 7 seconds, and the flight was one of the best ever, better than a single use E6 it flew on many years ago. With other motors if the Monocopter goes high enough it will autorotate part way down, but I think the weight of the case prevented that. In Monocopters because they are spinning so fast, gasses inside the motor going straight toward the nozzle can be turned and impinge on the inside end of the casing. This has caused E9s and Quest E5s to non-catastrophically pinhole burn through near the end of the burn, while other motors don’t. See the pictures, the liner did it’s job and protected the casing but I can’t recommend any one try this. I was careful to have the slot perpendicular to the rotation plane to provide some additional protection to the side of the case before that propellant burned away.

Flight Video

Friggin awesome. Does the nozzle burn irregularly to one side due to centripital force of the motor metals? Love Monocopters.

Jerry
Old 03-21-2020, 12:03 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

A couple years ago I went down to Pueblo in the Fall for an Oddrocs Launch. You could fly anything, but everyone was encouraged to bring an oddroc. What would I bring? I teally didn't have anything.

Remembering Bob Kaplow’s posts about Halloween Treat Bowl oddrocs, I headed to the Dollar Store to load up on “parts”.

I built mine with 24mm motor tube. It was the perfect vehicle to use up E9s. “Oddly”, I’ve never witnessed the thrill of an E9 cato in one of my rockets ... but I still have a few left, so there is hope. I also have some older composite E15s, and 29mm F25s, with paper caps over the ejection well. Those are definitely suspect, I have lost a rocket on one of these older E15s due to lack of ejection. Those F25s will require a 29mm oddroc. I wonder if a big Easter basket from the Dollar Store would be a good candidate?

I wish I had a video of the treat bowl flight. They spin like crazy and produce a great whirring sound in flight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  45713686-9D3E-4E4E-BFB1-392359ED193A.jpeg
Views: 38
Size:  1.32 MB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp