Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2019, 06:43 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

George- that's a funny one !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-23-2019, 07:06 AM
BAR

Nice find - I have a few packs of those, they work great for 2-stage shorty models (Midget, Firefly), just chop off the top 1/2". I've never seen thick-walled in diamond tubes, if only you could figure out what's in the sealed boxes, they could be real collectors items!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 10-23-2019, 09:45 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
Yes, the older one has the thick walled casing.
I bought a box of 12 unopened diamond packs. The first one I opened was all thin walled, the second pack had one thick walled and 2 thin walled. I have 10 unopened packs left.

I remembered I have a similar box of 1/2A6-0 diamond packs also. Rectangular light cardboard box of 12 unopened diamond packs. Outside of main box date stamped May 4, 1973. Got them off eBay maybe about two years ago. Pretty decent price, as I recall. Your’s from eBay also?

I just checked the one diamond pack I had opened, but all three are the 5-4-73 dates. No older dates. Not sure I really want to open any more at this point though.

Kinda strange looking at these (and other vintage kits and motors) and realize where I was in life when they were manufactured. In May, 1973 I was still a few months shy of 11 years old, about to finish 5th grade!

Every time I open a vintage kit I tend to do that; ruminate a bit on what was happening in my life or the world at large when the kit was being packaged in Phoenix or Penrose. Tends to put the age of the kit into personal perspective. In most cases it tends to boggle my mind to think how many years have passed since human hands last touched the kit parts, motors, etc.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 10-24-2019, 06:38 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I remembered I have a similar box of 1/2A6-0 diamond packs also. Rectangular light cardboard box of 12 unopened diamond packs. Outside of main box date stamped May 4, 1973. Got them off eBay maybe about two years ago. Pretty decent price, as I recall. Your’s from eBay also?

Earl

Yes, eBay. They were $30 BIN and $8 shipping.

One of the neighbor kids got the Vampire RTF starter kit for Christmas in 1973 which was the first time I had ever seen a model rocket. I had just turned 12.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:22 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
As long as you do NOT open them, those 10 packs all contain both 1971 AND 1973 1/2A6-0's.

At least that's what Schrödinger theorizes....

Okay, this would violate Schrödinger , but there may be an "easy" way to figure out if there's any more 1971 motors in those other 10 packs without opening.

*IF* the thick-walled 1971 motor weighs more. Weigh it accurately, and also weigh the 1973 motors to see what their average is. If the 1971 motor weighs at least a gram more..... then weighing the packs might tip off what's inside.

I figure you still have the packaging and everything that was in them? Weigh the entire opened diamond pack with contents and the 1971 and 1973 motors in it. Weigh the other opened pack with all 1973 motors in it. Maybe there is a significant enough mass difference?

Then weigh each of the other 10. See if they weigh about the same as the all 1973 motor pack, or if any weigh more, if my idea about the 1971 motor being heavier is true. If any weighs MORE than the pack with one 1971 motor in it, then it might have two or even three 1971 motors in it.

Or, "cheat" and use an X-ray.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer

Last edited by georgegassaway : 10-24-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:29 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

George...............good post.