Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2008, 09:36 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

I haven't built my Athena clone yet, but I think I have the decal redraw about as close as I can get it. The shortest bands should be ok, they don't need to go all the way around the pod tubes as far as I can tell. I believe I have the length right for the medium and long bands to go around ST-16 and ST-20 tubes, but someone should check me. So here is a 300dpi JPG. Again, these are not from a scan, they are my interpretation from a photo of the real decals.

Edit 11/1/08: Removed attachment because I found a minor mistake to conserve YORF space. See later post for corrected version.

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com

Last edited by timorley : 11-01-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorley
I haven't built my Athena clone yet, but I think I have the decal redraw about as close as I can get it. The shortest bands should be ok, they don't need to go all the way around the pod tubes as far as I can tell. I believe I have the length right for the medium and long bands to go around ST-16 and ST-20 tubes, but someone should check me. So here is a 300dpi JPG. Again, these are not from a scan, they are my interpretation from a photo of the real decals.

Fantastic! Many Thanks for all your efforts, Tim!
I have my Athena to the point where I'm adding the wraps now. Everything has been primered, sealed and sanded. I'll post some pics as soon as I can recover the camera from my daughter . I never got to build one in my ealy years of the hobby.

GH, thanks for all your help and input; I think you will see it was well worth it! I think these decals Tim has so graciously offered should work great.

I'll let you know how they do, Tim. Again, Thanks!
Alllen
Old 10-13-2008, 07:42 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

Allen,

I just noticed I had chopped off the front of the first "a" in athena. I've corrected it and uploaded a new file here. It's still a 300dpi jpg. I've incorporated a version number in the image at 1.1. Sorry about the error, hope you haven't made decals yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  enerjetAthenaDecalRedraw_V1_1.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  385.3 KB  

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
Old 10-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorley
Allen,

I just noticed I had chopped off the front of the first "a" in athena. I've corrected it and uploaded a new file here. It's still a 300dpi jpg. I've incorporated a version number in the image at 1.1. Sorry about the error, hope you haven't made decals yet.

Thanks for that heads up! I did not even notice (you cut it off---barely) I was just so excited with them I did not see it at first. So far, all I've done is print out the set on paper , so I can check the measurements (will those stripes go all the way around, etc.). They look fantastic. I'm still hip-deep in my garage mess, but I do see light at the end of that torrid tunnel . Whereupon, I can finish this bird. I guess I need to post a pic or two, eh? It looks pretty! Soon to be prettier, thanks to your efforts, Tim. Many, many thanks!
I bet Phred and GH will love them!
Allen
Old 10-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Old BAR

Ok,
I have finished the build. Fins are filleted and everything is filled and sealed and sanded. Waiting on all-over primer to dry now (Krylon). A couple of these are a little glarey. I'll do better next time! See what you think so far.

Allen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC04886.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  155.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC04887.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  146.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC04888.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  139.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC04889.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  148.8 KB  
Old 10-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Dazed and Confused

Looks great! Did I miss any posts about the wraps? Just wondering how you came up with them.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:01 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Looks great! Did I miss any posts about the wraps? Just wondering how you came up with them.

Someone on Ebay seems to come up with a set of these wraps every few months or so. I won a set about 2 years ago with the intention of cloning an Orion, until I discovered the Athena design. I think I paid about $20-25 for 'em Besides, Mr. Neubauer makes two sizes of the Orion, both of which I now have in the pile. He makes very nice kits (I'm nearly finished with his Mega Sky-Dagger). I used all of the pieces I trimmed off for the payload section.
I now have a coat of Krylon (old formula) on the Athena and will add one more today, since the weather is so nice here in Columbia, SC.
Hope this helps!
Allen
Old 10-24-2008, 12:02 AM
That 70's Rocketeer

Looking really good!

I am SAM # 0167
Old 11-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Old BAR

I am in the process of putting the stripes and decals on my Athena, finally!
Now, a question for any of the few who might know. Some of the stripes in this picture are red. Looks like one is on the lower BT just above that wrap, and the others are on the payload section. Are all the circumferential wraps red up there? It does appear the diagonally run ones are black; the lower red stripe looks to have part of the segmented black stripe overlaid onto it, but it is so hard to tell. Also, the engine tube looks to have a segmented stripe on it.
The instructions give recommended placements, but it looks like liberal interpretation is necessary with all the others.
Thanks, again, Tim, for your decal rendition. I printed a set off, and they look fabulous!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
One other note: the instructions suggest painting the NC silver. I've already painted mine white, like the pic, but might change it over to silver. What do you all think?
Allen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  ke-5%20Athena.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  4.5 KB  
Old 11-01-2008, 11:43 AM
That 70's Rocketeer

I've seen the image you've attached. All the red stripes in the picture seem to have some black shading in them. I think the band that is segmented black and white is the one above the United States decal just below the upper wrap on the lower body tube. All I can say is the photo of the Athena decal from the ebay auction I worked from was all black. None the less, here is a version with red for the stripes that appear to be red in the image, I hope.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  enerjetAthenaDecalRedrawRed_V1_1.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  392.7 KB  

I am SAM # 0167