Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2020, 01:46 AM
Master Modeler

Default No glue but some assembly required - Estes Ghost Chaser

Estes has recently released two or three BT-50-sized models that use revised versions of the BT-50 ARF fin can parts and some interesting little design touches. These design features make it possible to build one of these models with no glues (plastic cement or otherwise). All you really need is some good-quality clear tape (such as Scotch MultiTask ).

The three models are the 7284 Starship Octavius, the 7300 Ghost Chaser (both currently available) and the 7299 Illusion (instructions on estesrockets.com, but no mention of the model). They use a version of the 3-fin ARF fin can that has long enough joining pins/sockets that you can press the halves together with no glue, two integral launch lug loops and features on the portion that slides into the body tube that will snap into mating slots.

I'm always a sucker for another little payload model, so the Ghost Chaser, with it's long PST-20 payload section, caught my eye. That the nose cone, BT-50 to BT-20 transition, fin can parts and fins are molded in blue translucent plastic also was interesting. So I added one to a recent order for another Flight Sketch Mini altimeter.

I put it together yesterday evening and took a few pictures as I went, so I thought I'd share the easy build with the folks here. I know that E2X/beginner level models aren't the real interest for many, but some of you may find this amusing at least.

First - two views of the box, and the obligatory parts spread view.

Then, the fin can, assembled. You can clearly see the integral launch lug loops and the tabs that will snap into the slots in the body tube.

Next, a closeup showing how a tab on the top of the fin can engages a slot cut in the body tube. There are two of these and the fit of the fin can in the tube is actually quite firm.

Following that, a look inside the body at the top, showing the retaining clip holding the little "hood" through which the shock cord is threaded. If you've ever built a Dark Zero or Air Walker, this will look familiar, only this time you actually use the retaining clip, rather than just gluing the external part in. I'm sure these parts were used in other models in the past...I just don't know what they might be, thanks to the 30-year gap between my first rocketry period and my being BAR'd.

We'll look at the payload section in detail in the next post. This is mainly where the clear tape comes in....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2699.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  1.48 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2700.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  1.48 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2705.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  1.83 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2706.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  1.84 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2712.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  1,011.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2715.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  915.2 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 05-02-2020 at 02:36 AM.