Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default scale to weigh rockets

So I'm looking for a scale to weigh my various rockets to better gauge what chute to put in them. Does anyone have a decent recommendation for a one size fits all scale to handle something like the Semroc Defender up to Sheri's Redstone?

I have a Redstone waiting to be built, and once I coat it with paint based lead , I need to figure out the weight to size the chutes properly. I do not want to lose or break that rocket when finished.

Thanks,
Lyle
Old 02-04-2009, 07:07 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmerdan
So I'm looking for a scale to weigh my various rockets to better gauge what chute to put in them. Does anyone have a decent recommendation for a one size fits all scale to handle something like the Semroc Defender up to Sheri's Redstone?

I have a Redstone waiting to be built, and once I coat it with paint based lead , I need to figure out the weight to size the chutes properly. I do not want to lose or break that rocket when finished.

Thanks,
Lyle

One size will never fit all. I currently have 5, and still need at least one more. In the order I got them

Triple Beam balance for fine resolution up to the old model rocket limits: 0-610g /.1g

Pocket postal scale that I use to weigh balsa in the hobby shop before I buy it: 0-100g / 1g

Kitchen scale with tray / scoop for dry ingredients. I hacked the scoop with a rotary tool so it's got a 4" diameter for weighing LMR and small HPR: 0-4500g / 50g

Baby scale - once Rachel outgrew it, it was mine. It has nicely shaped guards to prevent a baby or 8" HPR model from rolling off the sides. 0-11000g / 100g

Pocket sized digital scale - it's faster than the triple beam balance up to its capacity: 0-500g / .1g Since I got this, on sale at Harbor Freight for something like $10-15, I rarely use the triple beam balance.

What I still need is a scale that can weigh really small / light objects. Something with .01g resolution or better. And if you do really big HPR, the next step would be a standard electronic bathroom scale. We have one of those, but it's not in my workshop. Yet.

Last edited by Bob Kaplow : 02-05-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: correct pocket digital range
Old 02-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Dazed and Confused

Bob competes, so his needs are above the average modeler. Most of us don't need to go to the 1/100 gram.

If all you are wanting to do is measure regular LPR models for chute size or motor selection, a plain old postal scale will work fine. I have a digital one that measures to the tenth of an ounce, and up to 10 pounds. Mechanical ones are probably cheaper, most I've seen go to 5 pounds.

If you are into the lower end of HPR, a digital fish scale might come in handy. I've never maxed mine, and can't remember where it tops out...25 lbs??? It weighs to the oz. I've had it for at least 20 years and it still has the original battery in it. I bet it wasn't made in China.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Launching since 1970.

Wal-Mart.

Cooking/kitchen gadget aisle.

Digital scale - includes free battery.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...uct_id=10098024

The online scales do not match what I bought a few years ago, but they may be similar to what is currently in the store. Mine weighs up to 5-something pounds and displays 2 gram or 1/8 ounce increments. It came with a 9 volt battery that I have yet to replace and a tray that I never used. I paid $29-somthing plus tax for mine, so they may have less expensive models now. "Roll-back"
Old 02-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmerdan

Thanks,
Lyle

Try this sight

Edmund's Scientific's

SCIENTIFICS

www.scientificsonline.com

1-800-818-4955

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Northern Tool & Equipment

www.NorthernTool.com

1-800-556-7885

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You can also purchase a nice little postal scale from the Postal service for around $35.00

www.usps.com

Good luck with your search

RD
Old 02-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Rocket Dad

I use This scale from Target. It was like $25. Works well. Might not be 100% accurate for the money but I'm sure it's close.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

Here's a link to the Harbor Freight scale I bought a couple years back. I've seen virtually the same item with other names on it at places including American Science and Surplus.

(note: I originally said it was good to 100g, but I just double checked and it goes all the way up to 500g, which really does obsolete the much more expensive triple beam balance.)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ct...temnumber=93543

Last edited by Bob Kaplow : 02-05-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: include picture
Old 02-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Craftsman

Talking Scale

I use a scale that my wife uses for Weight Watchers.
Works really slick......
The wife doesn't know I use it for rockets....
Don't tell her OK???
Mark T
Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks for all the tips everyone.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 PM
The_Ripper

I use a Pelouze postal scale I bought a few years ago at Office Depot. Mostly use it for weighing parts for items not in my RockSim database or completed rockets under 5lbs. I think it cost me about $30

It's digital and reads in ounces and grams and I bought it because I used to get strange looks when I walked into the post office to use the scale there with a rocket tucked under my arm.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  2.2 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates