Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Well I got it done. Tried the #1, #2, and a basic stanley utility knife. Wish I'd had a razor saw, I'd put it to the test too. Stayed with the xacto blades because they're thinner than the utility blades. Took a bunch of repeated passes, but all's well that ends well. I will invest in a razor saw now that I'm back in the rocket business.
Thanks Folks, Dave in MI
Old 01-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

The nice thing about using an Exacto with a # 24 blade (or #11) or a small good quality retractable ,snap off blade type of knife (smaller ,thinner blade ,less friction smaller kerf)is there is less clean up and your finished cut should be quite straight and true ,with a clean edge (although sanding the whole stack together is usually needed for conformity sake)
Cutting with a hobby saw (and I `ve got plenty) will usually require a lot more cleanup when cutting free hand ,unless of course ,you make some type of straight edge jig to guide the saw blade.
I know when I make fins out of Baltic plywood (1/8 -1/4" thick) I first make a template out of tempered hardboard ,the exact finished size and shape of the fin.I then stack and cut my fins on the bandsaw, leaving an 1/8 " extra all around the border.I double stick tape all the fins together and pin them to the master template and using a straight cutting router bit with a bearing I proceed to the router table.The bearing follows the template and the fins are cut exactly the finished size....and very smooth edges are realized.A little sanding and Bob`s your uncle.This could probably be done with Basswood over a 1/16 thick.

BB