Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2014, 01:19 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
So, It doesn't look like the above pic anymore. Last weekend on father's day...

MTMA had a launch that weekend.... both days. Bigger field, cushion-ie grass.... could've worked out better for you.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 06-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
MTMA had a launch that weekend.... both days. Bigger field, cushion-ie grass.... could've worked out better for you.

I had to stick around the house waiting for the daughters to come over and favor me with a visit. I was fortunate enough to get out with the sons and wife to get about a dozen launches off.

Clark Fields usually has been sufficient for most of my LP stuff. It was just to windy that day to try to launch a underpowered hog.

I look forward to returning to MTMA's fields in the near future, especially with the sons and wife so they can become enamored with the big stuff and see that dad is not just trying to relive his childhood.

In the attached pic, I was launching around the SW corner of the parking lot in left field of the ball diamond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Clark Fields.png
Views: 43
Size:  1.40 MB  

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Master Modeler

Continuing on with the epic narrative...

I will try to detail the damages as they occurred chronologically in my estimation. Please feel free to chime in with any ideas or relevant facts.

First the rear centering ring suffered what appears to be a "punch through" from an overly zealous separation/ejection blast?

This is the most baffling damage in the incident to me.

The motors were butt joined in the usual Estes configuration. I have about a two inch length of kevlar attached to the booster with a swivel clasp attached to the other end of the line. This is hooked onto a hole punched into the end of an eight inch length of crepe paper. The crepe paper streamer is rolled and placed into a section of BT-5 tube. The swivel assembly also is in the tube as it is not long enough to be outside it with the streamer in place. The extra kevlar cord was stuffed into the void between stages as the two stages were joined. The two stages joined together tightly but separated smoothly when checked.

At the six o'clock position in the first pic (reference picture for the rest of the description) you can see the partial section of BT-5 used to house the streamer during boost.
At about 11 o' clock there is a radial tear from the engine mount tube to the body tube. The centering ring clockwise from the radial tear is separated from the body tube and pushed in about an eighth of an inch causing a jagged tear from motor mount to body tube at about the 2 o' clock point.
Counterclockwise the centering ring is pushed in, separated from the body tube almost all the way around to the BT-5, and pushed in almost completely.

Any ideas?

TBC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Renegade damage pics 006.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  146.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Renegade damage pics 007.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  136.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Renegade damage pics 009.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  135.9 KB  

Starport Sagitta Rockets

NAR # 97971 SR

Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Master Modeler

Unhappy

CAUTION GRAPHIC CONTENT! For those weak of will, it may be best just to cover your eyes and peek between your fingers.

You have been warned.

Next relieved of the heavy weight and drag of the booster section, the sustainer zoomed to the ground, of course not in the nice soft comfy grass, but then again not into the hard unforgiving asphalt parking lot.

No, it went towards the gravel dog park area.

Now here's the important part. It did not power prang into the ground. How do I know that? You will have to wait til the next installment....

So... evidently just enough above ground to give me reason for the future posts, the ejection charge blows the nose cone into the gravel causing it to come to an abrupt stop.

Sorry, I should have taken pictures from all sides but my grief had overtaken my senses.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Renegade damage pics 020.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  142.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Renegade damage pics 021.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  133.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Renegade damage pics 022.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  139.2 KB  

Starport Sagitta Rockets

NAR # 97971 SR

Sagitta Cantina

Old 06-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Master Modeler

Least anyone detail oriented wonder, the previous photos of the nose cone were taken after repairs had been started.

With the sudden deceleration of the nose cone, we had the classic set up for... The Zipper

Yes, even with a kevlar-elastic ribbon shock cord set up, the forces of physics were too powerful to overcome.

The cord ripped back about 3/4" til it found the seam then tore down that for an overall length of about two inches. Meanwhile the body tube is now smashing into the gravel mutilating the front end of the body tube making ugly, horrendous.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Renegade damage pics 005.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  135.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Renegade damage pics 004.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  137.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Renegade damage pics 003.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  145.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Renegade damage pics 002.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  138.1 KB  

Starport Sagitta Rockets

NAR # 97971 SR

Sagitta Cantina

Old 06-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Master Modeler

Now most would assume that the last post was the end to this nightmare, but not in this case.

Yes this was one of those night time horrors that you just can't awaken yourself from and thus it continues....

We left our apocalyptic star seeker with the nose of the body tube smashing into the ground. But as alluded to in the preamble, rest was not quite yet to be found.

Momentum still not quelled, the body tube swung around scraping up an area between two fins and nicking up the gold painted fin. The black fin clockwise from the gold fin, received enough force to loosen it (hairline crack along the body tube).

and with this, the tragic epic narrative is finished. but stay tuned, for....

Yes gentlemen, we can rebuild her,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-D99_UBhaU
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Renegade damage pics 010.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  142.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Renegade damage pics 012.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  145.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Renegade damage pics 013.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  141.6 KB  

Starport Sagitta Rockets

NAR # 97971 SR

Sagitta Cantina

Old 08-31-2014, 07:45 PM
Master Modeler

It's so nice to know that certain things just never change.

I was using one of the old cans of Rustoleum black I used to paint the Renegade the first time. This was one of the cans that made me finally switch over to airbrush (which is going great, I am well pleased with my progress. Using dope is a bit of extra work, but what I am seeing is very promising).

I had to hold the can upside down and paint was running all over my hands, but I was getting a good spray and coverage. So as I was walking through the house from the backyard to get to the rocket room, I happened to look down and what do I see? A **** fly had landed in the wet paint and was doing the back wing stroke. I don't think there has been one time on this build were I have painted and everything came out perfect.

On the brighter side, the rocket is coming along and may even try to fly once more before the end of the year.

Starport Sagitta Rockets

NAR # 97971 SR

Sagitta Cantina