Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Default New Estes E2X kits

The Estes E2X label was first applied to rocket kits by the company in 1992.

'E2X' is shorthand for "Easy to Execute/Assemble/Glue Your Fingers to the Rocket" (Okay, that last one is a joke).

The original E2X models (Bandit, Rampage & Dagger (Some may want to include CATO and Bail-Out)) were small kits using pre-colored, pre-slotted heavy-walled BT-50 tubes (I believe they were listed as HBT-100). The plastic fins had through-the-wall fin tabs to glue to the motor mount. Plastic nose cone and shock cord anchor along with self-adhesive decals made these kits relatively quick to build.

For the past twenty years new E2X kits have continued to be released many using the components first used in the original labeled E2X product line while other E2X kits used already existing parts. In general most of these kits were powered by13mm or 18mm motors.

Now, however, the E2X line has changed. New E2X kits are larger, featuring 24mm motors staged to 18mm motors. The Pro Series II product line now features several E2X kits that have 29mm motor mounts for black powder 'E' , 'F' and (Composite) 'G' motors.

These are not your Daddy's E2X kits.

John Boren of the Estes R & D Department (or is he THE R & D Department ) has developed many of these new products and features. E2X kits are now much more interesting and exciting than the original products.

While I still wait to purchase the PS II E2X product line from any of my favorite vendors, I have received pre-production samples of the new Savage E2X kit.

The Savage is a two-stage BT-55 diameter model with a 24mm motor mount in the booster stage and a 18mm motor mount in the sustainer stage. It stands over 31" inches tall, has pre-colored parts and self-adhesive decals. The kit features a new plastic part which fits in the booster stage and directs the flame/plasma from the booster motor into the nozzle of the upper stage motor. This ensures ignition of the upper stage motor. Both stages feature screw on motor retainers. The upper stage can be flown by itself or two-stage by using the special staging screw on motor retainer.

I assembled my Savage model in about seven hours using mostly Plasti-Zap adhesive (I was watching several hours of Top Gear which slowed down my building speed). I made only one modification to the kit. The model comes with a nifty molded 1/8" molded launch lug. Since this model can fly on 24mm motors I replaced the kit launch lug with a 3/16" diameter launch lug (When the Estes 'Mighty' D13 motor came out 40+ years ago, most rockets which used that motor had 3/16" launch lugs. I guess I'm just stuck in the past).

The Savage is a good looking model and I look forward to launching it. These 'up-scale' E2X kits may help to get more people intested in the hobby and if so, I welcome more of these type of models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Savage E2X Kit.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  90.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Savage E2X kit built.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  30.0 KB  

Last edited by Initiator001 : 08-11-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Master Modeler

Cool stuff, Bob. A little more work than the "ARFs" which use - I expect - some of the same components. Two weeks before I'll have a chance to fly the Helios/Booster-60 combo. I have hopes to get one of the PSII E2Xs if not before that launch before BMR's Rolling Thunder in mid-September.

Re: your history story - I take it that the Alpha III, which probably was the first such model, got its "E2X" designator retroactively applied.....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Gentleman Rocketeer

Thumbs up

Cool...Looks like they took a prowler/prospector added another length of tubing and a Booster 55 (and with the new staging bits to boot)
Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I assembled my Savage model in about seven hours using mostly Plasti-Zap adhesive

I used CA glue and put one of these together in about 10 minutes. The only thing I had to wait for was the carpernters glue holding in the shock cord anchor. I used it as a fly and take model at our last big launch. I even gave the person the motors to fly it for the first flight. The father and son ended up flying it , at least three times over the weekend.

John Boren
Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Re: your history story - I take it that the Alpha III, which probably was the first such model, got its "E2X" designator retroactively applied.....

That would be correct. The same thing happened with the Gnome and Athena kits. All of them were Skill Level 1 prior to their becoming E2X kits.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
I used CA glue and put one of these together in about 10 minutes. The only thing I had to wait for was the carpernters glue holding in the shock cord anchor.

John Boren

I wanted to enjoy the build.

There are some nifty new ideas/concepts incorpoated into this kit.

I hope to fly the rocket by the end of the month.