Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Master Modeler

While not as nice (transparent, glossy) as actual decal paper, you can print out home-made decals on transparent label stock. If you look around you can find whole-sheet clear labels.

I used Corel Draw to make custom checkerboards for a few models.

If you are in a desperate fix I could put together a sheet.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-29-2014, 07:13 AM
Lost his Drifter

The foil payload tube "works." Nice paint scheme too.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 08-10-2014, 02:25 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
The foil payload tube "works." Nice paint scheme too.
Thanks!

And here she is, after adding the roll pattern. Picked up one of Estes' new decal sets (#3170), which includes a nice selection of roll patterns, stars, stripes, etc. There are some minor flaws, but I built this one to fly. I have a complete 2nd set of parts, since I expect to lose (parts of) this one eventually.

First flight will be C11/A8/A8, we'll see after that. Probably not soon, though, as my local fields have very tall weeds this time of year, making it extremely difficult to find boosters. Final weights, w/o streamer or payload, is

Stage 1 = 0.7 oz
Stage 2 = 0.8 oz
Stage 3 = 1.3 oz

Quick sims show these altitudes, all with between 50-55 fps off a 4' rod:

C11 / A8 / A8 = 933'
C11 / B6 / A8 = 1076'
C11 / B6 / B4 = 1278'
C11 / C6 / C6 = 2059'
D12/ C6/ C6 = 2492'

The black fins on the 2 boosters look a little funky, due to reflection of the orange fins. While I miss old Krylon, using Rustoleum enamel does give a nice gloss without hazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  TBird-Final.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  160.7 KB  
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 08-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Master Modeler

That came out looking fine.

Looking forward to a launch report!
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 08-13-2014, 07:48 AM
Master Modeler

Most excellent. What a good looking rocket. Classic Centuri fins. This is the first one I've seen that wasn't in a catalog. Congrats on a great build of an often overlooked rocket.

Incidentally, that last motor combo you listed is what put my Estes Comanche outta sight. Found it the next Spring, hung high in a cedar tree.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:05 AM
BAR

The T-Bird had 2 flights this summer, both C11-0/A8-0/A8-5. The first failed the first staging, and the sustainer did a lawn dart. The C11 has a large blow-thru, and it was obvious to me after the flight the I'd need to add venting in the first stage coupler. After repair, the second flight worked perfect. A nice flight to around 800'. My Altimeter 1 didn't provide a good altitude, so I'll need more vent holes in the payload.

Having recently purchased Rocksim, I thought the T-Bird would make a good model to test, especially since I couldn't find any existing designs. The semroc parts databases really helped. I've attached the RKT if anyone is interested, along with the 3D render.

Lastly, I found a very nice surprise while perusing eRockets. They now have 18" lengths of CPT-10! I emailed Randy to verify the diameter, and he got back to me with measurements:

OD= 1.060"
ID= 1.039"
thickness: 0.021"

This is slightly larger, but seemed plenty close. I picked up a couple, and retrofitted my build with a piece, for an even more accurate clone. A wrap or 2 of white label paper makes for a very good fit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Centuri_T-Bird.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  13.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  T-Bird-Cpt-10-Small.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  88.4 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Centuri_T-Bird.rkt (78.1 KB, 42 views)
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 11-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Lastly, I found a very nice surprise while perusing eRockets. They now have 18" lengths of CPT-10! I emailed Randy to verify the diameter, and he got back to me with measurements:

OD= 1.060"
ID= 1.039"

This is slightly larger, but seemed plenty close. I picked up a couple, and retrofitted my build with a piece, for an even more accurate clone. A wrap or 2 of white label paper makes for a very good fit.

If they have CPT-10 then they should release a "real" Payloader II clone!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 11-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Master Blaster

Default Very Nice T bird

Quote:
The T-Bird had 2 flights this summer, both C11-0/A8-0/A8-5. The first failed the first staging, and the sustainer did a lawn dart. The C11 has a large blow-thru, and it was obvious to me after the flight the I'd need to add venting in the first stage coupler. After repair, the second flight worked perfect. A nice flight to around 800'. My Altimeter 1 didn't provide a good altitude, so I'll need more vent holes in the payload.

Having recently purchased Rocksim, I thought the T-Bird would make a good model to test, especially since I couldn't find any existing designs. The semroc parts databases really helped. I've attached the RKT if anyone is interested, along with the 3D render.

OD= 1.060"
ID= 1.039"

That is a very nice clone of the T bird that you built, and thank you for a lot of good information, I will use your idea of using a C11-0 in the booster stage in the Farside X that I will be building soon.
I have always liked the challenge and excitement of launching a 3 staged rocket, I have built 2- Farsides/Farside X, 2- T birds as well as a couple of Comanche-3s over the years and there is nothing cooler then when all 3 stages work and you get the top stage back. Here are a couple of pictures of the T bird that I built from parts that were in a junk pile that I bought from EBay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  100_0343.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  826.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0344.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  707.2 KB  
Old 11-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Dazed and Confused

The only reason I haven't built a T-Bird or Farside-X is because I'd have to finish 12 and 9 fins respectively. That's a lot of sanding! Your birds look really good.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:

OD= 1.060"
ID= 1.039"

Great looking T-Bird. I built my first T-Bird back in 1968. I think I have all the original Centuri Tubes, couplers, centering rings, etc to build one again. However I will have to get a Balsa Nose Cone and clear plastic Payload section. Good to hear that eRockets /Semroc has the 18" lengths of CPT-10. I'll have to order some and a couple Balsa Nose Cones if they have them as well.

Larry B