Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2021, 11:06 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yes, these are nicely done. I recall them from earlier posts. I don’t recall right off hand: where did you source your template for the fins? I have some of this Semroc tube in my stash and might want to clone this original version.

Can you mention your fin template source and post your template file, by chance?

Earl

Total guesswork, based on the pictures in the catalog.

I will someday remember to post scans of the fin templates I made for the 1962 and 1965 Aero-Dart. Simple parallelograms.

If I did these kits again, I would make the fins TTW.

I remember seeing a picture, likely posted here, of a early-60s science fair display that included a picture of the 1962 Aero-Dart. So the kit WAS released!
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 02-16-2021, 12:48 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yes, these are nicely done. I recall them from earlier posts. I don’t recall right off hand: where did you source your template for the fins? I have some of this Semroc tube in my stash and might want to clone this original version.

Can you mention your fin template source and post your template file, by chance?

Earl

Earl

Stefan and I discussed his two models about ten years ago I too was interested in building these models.

See post #37 for Stefan’s dimensions and parts listing and also see post #41 includes a link to two RockSim files that I made using this information that you can use to print the fin templates with RockSim or OpenRocket.

https://www.oldrocketforum.com/show...92&page=1&pp=10

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 02-16-2021, 07:34 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Earl

Stefan and I discussed his two models about ten years ago I too was interested in building these models.

See post #37 for Stefan’s dimensions and parts listing and also see post #41 includes a link to two RockSim files that I made using this information that you can use to print the fin templates with RockSim or OpenRocket.

https://www.oldrocketforum.com/show...92&page=1&pp=10

Thanks Steve for the reference back to the old thread! Wow, it’s funny how the message exchanges start coming back to memory after reading a few. Hard to believe that has been just about right at a decade ago, too!

About a year ago I bought some of the various sizes of larger tubing that eRockets had (and in some cases, still has) on sale because it was being discontinued. The #150 tubing and some ancellary parts were a part of that order. So, I have a good number of items already on hand for the 1962 Aero-Dart.

Thanks again...and thanks Stefan for the long ago posts.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-17-2021, 09:31 AM
Master Modeler

I remember sharing the fin templates, such that they are, but didn't remember that I shared them here!

You could make clones of the 1962 and 1965 Aero-Dart using BT-60, and not be too far off. A pointy cone would be nice; maybe there's one out there.

I need to decide whether to repair the 1965 version, which crashed a couple of summers ago. Hung parachute. It will be tricky to match the tube size. I'd have to get new mailing tube, make couplers, etc.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 02-17-2021, 11:56 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

One of the worst discontinuations by the "new" Semroc is that of all the LT tubing and SLS parts.
Became a BAR due to Carl offering all those parts/kits.
Without that, I doubt I ever would have.
My first kits built coming back to the hobby were a SLS Scorpion and SLS Jaguar.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-17-2021, 12:00 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
One of the worst discontinuations by the "new" Semroc is that of all the LT tubing and SLS parts.
Became a BAR due to Carl offering all those parts/kits.
Without that, I doubt I ever would have.
My first kits built coming back to the hobby were a SLS Scorpion and SLS Jaguar.

Yeah, gotta agree with you there. By the time I realized what I could build out of them, they were on the way out.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper