Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2021, 11:12 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
If I find out more, I will attempt to provide an update.

Ken Montanye was 68 years old. His birthday was August 12, 1952.

Today, I received a call from Ken Montanye's sister, Charlene. She provided an update similar to what has been shared already, but she explained that things had been difficult with Covid-19 and with Ken's long-term care needs. Charlene explained that she lives in NY and Ken lived in NJ, and the care facility where Ken was moved had limited visitation. She explained that Ken's last wishes were to keep things simple and low key, so she wanted to respect his wishes.

Charlene did send me a nice photo, along with her permission to share, of her brother, Ken Montanye's memorial urn, which she has. She is considering sharing a portion of Ken's ashes with some model rocket friends to launch into the sky with their model rockets as a fitting memorial to her brother. Charlene was very gracious to allow me the honor and privilege of praying with her to ask the Lord's comfort for her and for her family.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Ken_Montanye_Memorial.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  245.8 KB  

Last edited by Faithwalker : 03-16-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:47 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I'm sorry to hear this, but enjoyed reading his content here over the years. COVID has caused difficulties for many who never even had the disease.

May he rest in peace.

Sandy.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:59 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Today, I received a call from Ken Montanye's sister, Charlene. She provided an update similar to what has been shared already, but she explained that things had been difficult with Covid-19 and with Ken's long-term care needs. Charlene explained that she lives in NY and Ken lived in NJ, and the care facility where Ken was moved had limited visitation. She explained that Ken's last wishes were to keep things simple and low key, so she wanted to respect his wishes.

Charlene did send me a nice photo, along with her permission to share, of her brother, Ken Montanye's memorial urn, which she has. She is considering sharing a portion of Ken's ashes with some model rocket friends to launch into the sky with their model rockets as a fitting memorial to her brother. Charlene was very gracious to allow me the honor and privilege of praying with her to ask the Lord's comfort for her and for her family.

Ken Montanye's sister, Charlene, sent me this photo today of her brother. She expressed her gratitude and thanks for everyone's kind thoughts and prayers for their family. She is also thankful for all the friends that Ken had on this forum. Rocketry and Model Rocketry were two of Ken's passions for which his family were glad that he was involved. Ken had developed diabetes when he was just 13 years old, so his parents were glad to see him excited and involved in Model Rocketry to take his mind off of the diabetes illness that he had. Ken was able to make several contributions to the Model Rocketry hobby over the years, which helped to provide enjoyment for many.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Ken_Montanye.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  499.9 KB  

Last edited by Faithwalker : 03-18-2021 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:04 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Ken also was an expert on the history of Reaction Motors, Inc., the first successful American rocket company, founded December 18, 1941, within just two weeks from the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the event which thrust the United States into WWII. Ken collaborated with author Frank H. Winter, famed curator of the NASM in Washington, D.C., to help provide artifacts and details for the book entitled, "America's First Rocket Company: Reaction Motors, Inc.", published in 2017. The book is still available: https://www.amazon.com/Americas-Fir...n/dp/162410441X

Reaction Motors, Inc. went on to accomplish some of the most significant technological breakthroughs in American Aerospace history, paving the way to manned flights far beyond the speed of sound, the beginnings of manned flight into space, and development of the critically important vernier motors for the Surveyor spacecraft that became the first U.S. soft-landing craft on the surface of the moon. Ken had the only known remaining brick from the original Reaction Motors, Inc. test facility control room blockhouse in Franklin Lakes, NJ.

Ken Montanye's LinkedIn page lists him, among other things, as an Independent Historian/Researcher for 51 years, from Jan. 1970 to Jan. 2021, of Reaction Motors Inc., "America's First Liquid Fueled Rocket Engine Company". They were the designers, developers and testers of the XLR ( Bell X-1 and the XLR-99, X-15 ) engines among others. Reaction Motors was the first to develop the regeneratively cooled rocket engine in Pompton Lakes, NJ.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Ken_Montanye_photo.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  66.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Reaction_Motors_newspaper_photo_with_Ken_Montanye.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  142.7 KB