Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Apollo Nut

[QUOTE=Solomoriah]I use crepe paper. I get it from Hobby Lobby; it used to be $0.98 per package, but now it's more like $1.47... but since they don't reprice in-stock items, you can often get it for $0.98 per pack (so long as you don't care what color it is, and I don't). I take the folded sheets out of the package as they are, cut the flattened roll into four segments, and finally slit them apart. I don't recall how many sheets I get... I posted it around here somewhere... but it works out to be a fraction of the cost of either Estes or Quest wadding, and it works fine.
QUOTE]

I have used crepe as well since my first Centuri starter set (Screaming Eagle) in '76, except for my high power stuff, where we used fiberglass for quite a while in the late 80's and early 90s then switched to the 'dog barf', as it is called.

But as stated above by the poster, the crepe paper in the large packages (Hobby Lobby or many other party supply or department stores) is incredibly cheap and works fine. It was one of the cost cutting methods of my early days that allowed me enough money to buy the motors to fly (late 70s inflation rates were terrible!).
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Re-BAR

I use crepe paper too the times when I can't easily get a Nomex shield to fit. And we're coming up to the time of year when you can often easily grab it for free... Can't buy dog barf here since the building code doesn't allow it.

Edit: this is made in USA crepe paper I'm talking about. I bought a cheap pack from the $ store (made you-know-where) and it was not nearly as fire resistant by the BIC test. I didn't use it, but it might be OK.