Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I want to thank Earl Cagle for shipping me some fish paper couplers....I owe him big time!

Tim-

Just glad to help.....It's good to see others get their stuff done knowing I was able to lend a little assistance. And don't those vintage Centuri #16 tube couplers look nice in those photos!
Really compliments the color scheme!

I have a shrink-wrapped Power Systems set that I have not broken open yet (I will when it gets to the build que.....probably about 2019 at the rate I'm going now), but I thought it was an intriguing set back in the day.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 07-03-2011, 09:15 PM
NAR Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
My latest project is the Centuri Power System Outfit.

That is so cool tbzep! Nice looking set of rockets. You need to open up a rocket museum or something.

NAR Level 1 - 3/12/11
NAR Level 2 - 4/9/11
Old 04-19-2019, 06:09 PM
Dazed and Confused

It's been a pretty good while since I've been in the mood to build anything. A few years, in fact. With the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 coming up, I need to do something. I have a retired Centuri Saturn V that hasn't flown in decades. I have a few NIB 2157's and 1969's I could build. I also have a 2001 kit that is partially finished and hasn't been worked on since about 1992. Twenty seven years!

I decided to modify the 2001 kit, but this will be a very slow process. I don't have a lot of free time and these days, even when I do, I'm seldom in the mood to sand.

I started my mods today by printing a 1:100 template of a real scale fin. I cut down the hugely oversized fins of the 2001 kit. I'll get around to shaping the airfoil next time I feel like sanding, which may be tomorrow or it may be in June.

The other main mod I plan to do is to retrofit a removable motor mount. I've worked out a few different ways of going about it that will work, but I haven't decided which design I'll go with yet. Don't expect any updates soon. I really have trouble motivating myself to grab a sanding block these days.

I'm throwing in a couple pics to show just how massively oversized the 2001 fins are. The Centuri kit's fins are oversized about 1/2 as much as the 2001, just eyeballing it. I assume the 2157 and 1969 are the same since they are based on the Centuri kit. The 2001 now looks like the thoroughbred is instead of a jackass.

BTW, spot putty is all over all four fins because the cat chewed them up about 25 years ago. I never got around to finishing the repairs.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:31 PM
Apollo Nut

Tim-

Wow, those stock fins ARE oversized, big time. I knew they were larger, but did not realize by how much.

Gosh, I had forgotten about your Power Systems set and sending the Centuri couplers. I can't believe that has been eight years ago! Funny the date I mention in the post two or three up from here that it would probably be *2019* before I got around to my Power Systems set. Well, I guess we are there now!

I have been building all along, but still have not gotten around to that set yet. I have never posted a single build, though I guess I should at some point.

Things got a little slower for me too for a while here as we cared for my mother in-home with her various illnesses and dementia for seven years. Between that and work, build time (and motivation) were kinda slim. Sadly, mom passed a couple years ago, but that was certainly not the way I wanted to 'gain' more time. That is the way of things sadly, and I know a number of members here have gone through the same sorts of things. But, I am trying to build more and use that as 'therapy' to help mend the heart and soul, so to speak.

Good luck with the build...and with the sanding! As things come to fruition, the sanding seems a bit less painful (the rocketeer's equivalent of "the blind seems warmer when the ducks are flying.").

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-19-2019, 07:51 PM
Dazed and Confused

I understand your slowdown. My father passed away 10 years ago and I took over all of the farming in addition to my regular and part time jobs. My mother broke her hip three years ago and now barely gets around with a walker, so I'm now doing all her shopping, laundry, etc. She still stays by herself, but I'm there at least 3 or 4 times a week. Now when I have some down time, it's really DOWN time. I seldom even ride the motorcycle anymore.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:31 AM
Dazed and Confused

Well dang. I was in the mood. I worked out my removable motor mount setup and made some centering rings. Pulled out my fairly substantial stash of body tubes and...@#%%^!!! I have plenty of everything but the one size I need.

Oh well, I was planning on ordering some specialty tubes for the upcoming Boyce SA-5 anyway. My usual source of bulk 34" tubes, BMS, doesn't carry the BT-19 or BT-58 so I hit eRockets.

Not sure when I'll have a combination of being off work, tons of rain, and being in the mood to sand again. I hope it comes sometime before July 20.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:32 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Anxious to see pics of the SA-5, even just a pile of parts. I got the Zooch SA-5 about a year ago at a rocket swap meet for 1/2 price. It’s sat in the box untouched like a hundred other kits. (Make that 146, according to my inventory spreadsheet ...)

Also, just saw the pics of your redo on the Saturn fins. Wow, those look tiny. Do you plan to fly it with the scale fins or maybe add clear fins for flight? I’ve read it can be flown with scale fins.

I basically did the same thing with a 2001 kit started in 1992. Over about 25 years it got a bunch of dings, and crunched on the top. After much consternation, I decided not to try to repair it, and it got built as my Der Saturn Max. I’m not sure I ever posted flight info, but I flew it at NARAM. It was a big hit, except for a few purists. Vern saw it and just sort of smiled and didn’t say anything. Or he might have mumbled something that I probably would not have wanted to hear.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 04-20-2019, 01:05 PM
Dazed and Confused

I am setting it up where it can be flown with the single recessed D12 and I may fly it with scale fins in that configuration. The removable mount will slide into the original plumbing and not be recessed so I'll use clear fins for those flights instead of adding a ton of weight up top. My goal is to be able fly it as low and slow as is safely possible, such as a core C6-3 and four A10's or A3's. Anybody can stuff a big motor in a rocket and fly it.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:35 PM
Dazed and Confused

I finally sat down and did a little sanding. I love sanding!

I fine tuned the outline of the fins and then started on the taper. It would be hard enough to do it with the fins off the rocket. It's a royal pain mounted. I'm only putting the leading edge taper on the fin. I'm not going to profile it where it starts thick at the root and gets thinner at the edge. The leading edge would be razor thin at 1/100 scale so I'm going to leave it a little round and soak it with CA. Photos are the beginning of roughing out the shape.

The corrugations on the engine shrouds have taken a lot of damage over the years. I'm not sure what I'll do with them, if anything. I may just prime them and smooth the worst of it with a scotchbrite pad. It's not going to be perfect with all the years of neglect, basically sitting ready to be primed. It's been handled by my kids, chewed on by the cat, knocked over, etc. etc. I plan on flying it at least once or twice a year until either it or I crash and burn. I've got 2157's and 1969's if I want to build a showpiece. Meanwhile my retired Centuri kit looks pretty majestic considering I built it when I was a kid, hand painted all the roll patterns, and flew the snot out of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  20190604_105301.resized.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  221.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20190604_111857.resized.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  253.0 KB  
Old 07-01-2019, 11:15 PM
Dazed and Confused

Now I remember why I haven't built anything the last few years. I love sanding soooo much!!!