Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2022, 09:40 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I have no clue. I only wore the uncomfortable and ugly Toughskins. Which weren't tough, nor were the crappy iron on knee patches after we tore the knees out in the first playground football game...back when we were allowed to tackle each other.

I ruined a lot of pants sliding into base on the playground. Did I mention that we had an asphalt playground? It was a parochial school, so we had to wear "church clothes" because you never knew when you were going to get goose-stepped to mass for some feast day or another. Mom made my school pants out of polyester, and the friction from the slide would melt the pants to my leg. Good times.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 05-10-2022, 10:08 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I ruined a lot of pants sliding into base on the playground. Did I mention that we had an asphalt playground? It was a parochial school, so we had to wear "church clothes" because you never knew when you were going to get goose-stepped to mass for some feast day or another. Mom made my school pants out of polyester, and the friction from the slide would melt the pants to my leg. Good times.

I remember having to wear polyester bell bottoms, white shoes, and a button up paisley shirt with big poofy sleeves. Did I mention the burgundy color? Thankfully I didn't have to wear them at school, but I do recall wearing them to church and other public places.

Funny she got me that crap outfit, but wouldn't let me wear bell bottom jeans when I grew out of the Toughskins phase. Best I could hope for was "flare leg" which was only a bch from straight legs. I did swing some blue suede tennis/running type shoes for Christmas one year. One afternoon in damp spring grass pretty much ruins them, though.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:47 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

What some idiot designers called "fashion" in the 1970s REALLY sucked.
Most hideous clothing era EVER in modern times.
Bell bottoms and huge lapeled shirts/jackets, polyester leisure suits in idiotic color/pattern combinations.
Optical pollution is the only proper way to describe it.

Polyester should be banned.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-10-2022, 11:23 AM
BP Mafia

I'm fairly flat-footed, so no matter how much I begged for PF Flyers as a kid, I got Randy-Pedics. Mom and Dad have no idea how those crippled my burst of speed. When I was a freshman in high school, Mom insisted that I accompany her to the big November Sale at Shillito's instead of enjoying the day off sleeping in and goofing off. The day was a horror story (imagine 50 aggressive old ladies hunting bargains,) except for lunch and a pair of shoes. They were neon yellow Pumas with royal blue stripes. I wore them to school the next day and everyone made fun of them. MOST. COMFORTABLE. SHOES. EVER. And they were clearanced at $5.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 05-10-2022, 11:26 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Polyester should be banned.

They even made our baseball uniforms out of it. I don't know which was hotter, the wool uniforms of the Babe's era, or the thick polyester of the 70's and early 80's. Hey, but they made up for it with those horrible, awful, ugly cheap @$$ mesh trucker hats. Thank goodness I had some real ball caps when I was little, and a coach that valued good fitted hats when I played high school ball. Everything in between sucked pet rock dung with a side helping of mood ring and fickle fish of fate.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:31 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I'm fairly flat-footed, so no matter how much I begged for PF Flyers as a kid, I got Randy-Pedics. Mom and Dad have no idea how those crippled my burst of speed. When I was a freshman in high school, Mom insisted that I accompany her to the big November Sale at Shillito's instead of enjoying the day off sleeping in and goofing off. The day was a horror story (imagine 50 aggressive old ladies hunting bargains,) except for lunch and a pair of shoes. They were neon yellow Pumas with royal blue stripes. I wore them to school the next day and everyone made fun of them. MOST. COMFORTABLE. SHOES. EVER. And they were clearanced at $5.

No PF Flyers for me. I've never heard of them. I had some Keds, and eventually Pro Keds, which were low top Chuck Taylor knockoffs, not far from the Flyers. The Pro Keds had a red/blue racing stripe on the edge of the sole which made me at least a half second faster in the 40.

I remember seeing the Pumas you're describing in catalogs and I think maybe in Boy's Life.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:42 AM

No PF Flyers nor Converse Chuck Taylor canvas shoes for me either. I think my Dad wore PF Flyers before switching to Nike and Adidas shoes.
I have always worn Nike or Nike Air shoes for everything but Soccer.
For Soccer I wore Diadora cleats.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:17 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
They even made our baseball uniforms out of it. I don't know which was hotter, the wool uniforms of the Babe's era, or the thick polyester of the 70's and early 80's. Hey, but they made up for it with those horrible, awful, ugly cheap @$$ mesh trucker hats. Thank goodness I had some real ball caps when I was little, and a coach that valued good fitted hats when I played high school ball. Everything in between sucked pet rock dung with a side helping of mood ring and fickle fish of fate.

Now wait a minute! What's wrong with Pet Rock (dung)???
Old 05-11-2022, 05:27 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
No PF Flyers nor Converse Chuck Taylor canvas shoes for me either. I think my Dad wore PF Flyers before switching to Nike and Adidas shoes.
I have always worn Nike or Nike Air shoes for everything but Soccer.
For Soccer I wore Diadora cleats.

Soccer? Was that in co-ed, non contact gym class? Were they lace trimmed?

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-11-2022, 09:34 AM

And just what is wrong with Varsity Soccer ?
Any answer to that question is WRONG.
Entertaining to play Soccer, Immensely BORING to watch.