Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Hardware
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2022, 08:51 PM
Master Modeler

Default A8-3 Ejection Charge

Anyone else here had problems with almost non-existent ejection charges on A8-3's?

My wife teaches 5th grade class, and I did a launch with them today and out of 18 rockets (Estes make and take) and 36 launches, over 20 failed to eject the parachute. I was using motors from two bulk packs. For the high school physics class (8 rockets, 16 launches) later this afternoon, I had 6 ejection charge failures. I did not even have to be looking at them, as I could plainly hear the weak charge, more of a poof than a pop. I pulled out an old Alpha I had with me and also had a failure to pop the chute out.

I also had one motor during the high school launch that just took the rocket off the launch rod where it fell on the ground, but this one had a good ejection charge as it popped the chute out on the ground. On that one the nozzle had instant erosion to more than double the normal diameter.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:02 PM
Master Modeler

Date code on the motors?

I don't fly many A8-3s but don't recall having had this particular issue with them....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-24-2022, 09:46 AM
Master Modeler

A210321
A210421
Old 05-24-2022, 07:04 PM
Master Modeler

Goodness….almost brand new motors. It might be worth an email to Estes’ customer service address (service@estesrockets.com), if for no other reason than to let them know.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-25-2022, 12:04 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Goodness….almost brand new motors. It might be worth an email to Estes’ customer service address (service@estesrockets.com), if for no other reason than to let them know.

I will be doing that this afternoon.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:10 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

Yes, I bought both bulk packs last month at Hobby Lobby
Old 06-01-2022, 10:10 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
Anyone else here had problems with almost non-existent ejection charges on A8-3's?

My wife teaches 5th grade class, and I did a launch with them today and out of 18 rockets (Estes make and take) and 36 launches, over 20 failed to eject the parachute. I was using motors from two bulk packs. For the high school physics class (8 rockets, 16 launches) later this afternoon, I had 6 ejection charge failures. I did not even have to be looking at them, as I could plainly hear the weak charge, more of a poof than a pop. I pulled out an old Alpha I had with me and also had a failure to pop the chute out.

I also had one motor during the high school launch that just took the rocket off the launch rod where it fell on the ground, but this one had a good ejection charge as it popped the chute out on the ground. On that one the nozzle had instant erosion to more than double the normal diameter.

Wouldn't hurt to file a MESS report for those A8-3's.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:55 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Wouldn't hurt to file a MESS report for those A8-3's.

Ditto.....
http://www.motorcato.org/
Old 08-11-2022, 10:32 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten

Wow--talk about careening from one guard rail to the opposite-side one (and beyond)! For several years, Estes--and Estes-made, Apogee Components Medalist competition-grade brand--13 mm motors had loud, frequently model-damaging "shotgun" ejection charges; now, at least some (that particular production run, at minimum) 18 mm Estes A8-3 motors have effectively *no* ejection charges at all...
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-11-2022, 11:48 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Wow--talk about careening from one guard rail to the opposite-...

A report of a weak ejection charge on YORF is not like Estes "careening from one guard rail to the other." How you exaggerate...

This weekend we're hosting a Cub Scout pack. I will witness ~60-80 A8-3 powered flights. I'll let you all know what the outcome was.
MTMA Section #606 President