Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Wish I'd thought of it sooner...

I also tried the sheet styrene method, but even that wouldn't align properly. I wound up printing another copy of the shroud on cardstock and working it around one tank at a time. BONDO spot putty filled in the remaining gap, and for the most part worked out well. I like the BONDO better than Squadron green (or white - I've used both in the past) as it comes out of the tube much "wetter" than SGP. It worked into the gaps a bit deeper, anyway.

This was the first time I have ever used either color of Squadron putty. I had to make a last minute dash to my "local" (110 mi. round trip) hobby shop to pick up more styrene and CA. I knew that I was going to have gaps (it was my 4th or 5th try - I've lost count - at making the fuel tank shroud). I saw the SGP hanging on a hook, so I grabbed it to give it a try. I was not impressed, although it did eventually sand down smooth. I would have been better off using Aeropoxy Lightweight Filler, which I do have on hand, but which I forgot all about until after I had smeared green stuff all over the bottom of my model.

I just want to say that my problems with this model have nothing to do with the kit itself, which is impressively high quality, through and through. The instructions are great, even though I came up with a few modifications that I wanted to try. My problems mainly stem from seriously underestimating the amount of time that it would take to complete some of the steps, not properly planning the entire building process out with timeframes and milestones (targets), and not taking the steps to protect the finish on some prepainted parts as I was assembling and gluing parts onto them and around them. Aside from my frustration with my slow progress and the looming deadline, I actually enjoyed building this kit (especially early on, before I started to panic). And what made it even more enjoyable was building it right along with 30 or so other modelers, and talking about it online. That is going a long way right now toward helping to preserve my sanity.

As for why I am online right now, well, I do have to come up for air every now and then. Otherwise, it is work, work, work.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 10-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Mine's in the box and in the back of my car for shipment tomorrow via UPS. John, I'll get you the tracking code tomorrow night.

I took plenty of pics since I know I won't be getting it back. I'll post a few tomorrow. There was a lot of detail I wanted to add as well as doing a nicer job on the overall finish, but the time crunch killed those ideas.

It much have still been humid when I shot the gloss white because it's not super glossy. I could have fixed that with future, but didn't have time for that. The green tape I tried for masking didn't do a very good job on masking the white stripes on the black tanks. I cleaned the lines up as best I cold, but it's not nearly as nice as I could have done. Like many of you, I certainly discovered things after the fact that would have made this a much nicer build. Hopefully everyone stays at least five feet away from it. It looks pretty good from that distance.

Buzz
Old 10-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Master Modeler

Got mine finished! I basically finished mine to look like a cross between the original Estes
(now SEMROC) 1/70 model and the Centuri 1/100 model. I didn't add any of the two antennas on the Service Module (will be too fragile for shipping) and did the SM detailing
almost pro-rata as the Centuri version. Also didn't apply any Future Floor Wax to the decals
as it'll be too time consuming; maybe if I get this model back I can really "finish it."
I also didn't draw any of the lines on the LEM shroud, as I think the Saturn 1-B looks better
without it.

Here's a couple of pics taken a short while ago. Will be packing in a few minutes and then
head over to Houston's big airport (IAH) post office to get this bird shipped. Otherwise, my
wife & kids are already asleep.....

John, I'll be getting the shipping/tracking info tomorrow morning when I get up.

Note: The pics, starting with the first, shows fin Pos. I facing the camera, followed by Pos. II,
etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  LAUNCH - SEMROC SA-205 Saturn 1-B Project 007.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  109.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LAUNCH - SEMROC SA-205 Saturn 1-B Project 008.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  106.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LAUNCH - SEMROC SA-205 Saturn 1-B Project 009.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  110.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LAUNCH - SEMROC SA-205 Saturn 1-B Project 010.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  115.6 KB  
Old 10-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Red River Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Got mine finished! I basically finished mine to look like a cross between the original Estes
(now SEMROC) 1/70 model and the Centuri 1/100 model. I didn't add any of the two antennas on the Service Module (will be too fragile for shipping) and did the SM detailing
almost pro-rata as the Centuri version. Also didn't apply any Future Floor Wax to the decals
as it'll be too time consuming; maybe if I get this model back I can really "finish it."
I also didn't draw any of the lines on the LEM shroud, as I think the Saturn 1-B looks better
without it.

Here's a couple of pics taken a short while ago. Will be packing in a few minutes and then
head over to Houston's big airport (IAH) post office to get this bird shipped. Otherwise, my
wife & kids are already asleep.....

John, I'll be getting the shipping/tracking info tomorrow morning when I get up.

Note: The pics, starting with the first, shows fin Pos. I facing the camera, followed by Pos. II,
etc.

The model looks great! I have to tell everyone, I am very proud to be a part of this team! I know everyone has worked hard and the effort has been from the heart.

John
Old 10-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Red River Rocketry

Our 10 models and Chas Russel's are now officially complete and in the "Saturn Storage room".

John
Old 10-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Master Modeler

Model shipped!

USPS; Tracking # 03071790000044732878; Insured for $200; Total cost came to only $10.05!

The very friendly, nice lady behind the service counter at this 24/7 365 days a year US Post
Office assured me you'll get it before Thursday, John (and Carl & Mark).

That was a lot of fun, if not pressure packed build. Thanks to Carl/Sheryl of SEMROC, Mark
and Deb of LAUNCH, John Dyer of DARS (for the monumental task of agreeing to accept
delivery of all these beauties!), and all the guys/gals in this exclusive group that shared their
trials/tribulations during the build. And, most of all, many thanks and congratulations to
Walt Cunningham for being around this late day & age to receive the much (and long deserved) recognition for a job well done of the Apollo - 7 mission from 40 years ago.

Who knows, maybe we'll be called upon next year for a similar project for the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo - 11. See you guys & gals around, and have a great one!!
Old 10-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Random Part-Time Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
...And what made it even more enjoyable was building it right along with 30 or so other modelers, and talking about it online. That is going a long way right now toward helping to preserve my sanity....

I have to second Mark II's comment above. This was by far the most challenging build I have ever attempted, but knowing that I wasn't alone made it a LOT easier. Thanks to all who collaborated and posted on these threads. And knowing that it will be used for such an amazing event made it worthwhile.

I can't thank Carl, Sheryl and Bruce at Semroc and Mark and Deb at LAUNCH Magazine enough for letting me be a part of this.

Chas - I like your idea about compiling a "Lessons Learned" list. I have a few to add too, like making scale waterslide decals for the SM and LEM Shroud.
SAM 160
Old 10-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

Quote:
Model shipped!

USPS; Tracking # 03071790000044732878; Insured for $200; Total cost came to only $10.05!

The very friendly, nice lady behind the service counter at this 24/7 365 days a year US Post
Office assured me you'll get it before Thursday, John (and Carl & Mark).

I'd bet that friendly, nice lady forgot about the box dimensions--the 36" length is what jacked up the price on the rest of us. Sounds like Team 1b caught a bit of a break on that one...

Quote:
Who knows, maybe we'll be called upon next year for a similar project for the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo - 11.

Are you trying to give Carl a coronary?! A Saturn V? On the plus side, I think he'd have no shortage of volunteers around these parts for building 'em. I'd love for Semroc to release the big brother to the 1b, though .
Old 10-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Who knows, maybe we'll be called upon next year for a similar project for the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo - 11. See you guys & gals around, and have a great one!!

Then I better get started building now.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
Then I better get started building now.

**** right......