Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Bercini
In the early 80s I was publishing a club newsletter which contained quite a number of my original designs. Many of those designs were picked up by, and republished by "Model Rocketeer" magazie: for example, my flying Pyramid, the Infinite Square (an all square version of the Infinite Loop tube-stabilized design), and the Moondipper (made of styrofoam cups)

By publishing plans for my designs, I hoped people would build and enjoy them as much as I had. I suppose I assumed that I would somehow be credited for the idea. Now I see some on my designs being offered for sale as kits. It never occurred to me to copyright my designs. Should I have?

Avoiding the obvious about assuming - if the former is true with regard to "build and enjoy" then why would the latter be of consquence?
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 06-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I will answer your original question with ONE word, NO !

The new auto-copyright laws are a joke to protect the stupid and ill-prepared.
I for one am sick and tired of laws designed to protect the lowest-common-denominator idiots in society.
Those LOSERS NOT doing their due diligence DESERVE TO BE FLEECED !!!

I am behind you 100% we are in a nanny state, but a small amount of regulation such as copyright protection is valuable to commerce. Perhaps it and many regulatory basics should be a law not a regulation. As we saw with the BATF suit the problem with regulation is it presumes the regulator is both expert and right, and only the regulator can go into a monologue with itself to change regulation. People can comment on proposed changes in FedReg, but the outcome is a monologue and protected by the courts with a presumption of correctness. That legal standard itself is the entire problem with regulation generally.

Just "paying attention" Jerry
Old 06-30-2011, 09:41 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have no problem with copyright LAW providing it requires the inventor to actually register their copyright. The "Auto" crap is specifically what I have a HUGE problem with.
Also agree that the court bias toward the "regulator"/law enfarcement absolutely positively SUCKS.
It should be the EXACT opposite with the court having a bias AGAINST the regulator/authorities if any bias.
Most judges take the word of cops as gospel which many times is nothing but a huge load of crapola. Many of the cops I have met are also some of the most egregious LIARS I have ever met as well.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Creator of 'STONE TREK'

I have displayed a considerable number of my designs on this forum (only). I would like to think that if I were to run into issues I might be able to establish a chronology of who had what first by when I would have uploaded images.

I already have a history of giving away a LOT of creative effort to the online world (look for the web cartoon 'Stone Trek" and see how much). I look at it as a portfolio piece, which justifies all the work I put into it.

This group is a perfect audience for dissemination of ideas. Who knows what that could lead to?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Born Again Born Again Rocketeer

One consideration is exactly what you are trying to protect: an art design or a scientific design. Copyrights will protect your claim as the originator of a piece of art. And apparently they are fairly cheap. Patents on the other hand seem to be a lot more complicated and expensive.

reference:
http://www.differencebetween.com/di...ght-and-patent/

Differences and Similarities

Most people have confusion in copyright and patent. To magnify the difference between these terms, here are some points.

Copyrights are arts based, while patent are science-based protections.
Copyright cover the works of authorship like literary, musical and dramatic work. On the other hand, patent protects those inventions that are new and useful.
For applying copyright authorship must be original and real medium. The requirements for patent are new, useful and non-obvious.
As the authorship work created, protection from copyright begins. While, patent protection is not applicable, until patent is properly issued.
Copyright is issued to author until his/her life plus 50-70 years, depends upon country law. On the other side, patent protection time is different in different countries. Normally, patent provide protection for 10-20 years from the date of application.
A copyright is almost free and paper work is not very complicated. On the contrary, applying process for patent is much difficult. The reason is that checking process of invention is so lengthy and costly

Read more: http://www.differencebetween.com/di.../#ixzz1VsGc5nJT