Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2020, 12:48 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Default small interesting Centuri/RDC find on eBay

for about the next 18 hours (until about 8 EDT) there's an unassuming built Groove Tube (from 1972) with some well preserved Centuri lit from 1969, including Catalog 692 (not sure what the additions were from 691), but the most interesting thing is a letter. Apparently, this person wrote to Rocket Development Corp asking for a catalog, but it was answered from Centuri, and this letter explains that "Earlier this year, Rocket Development Corporation ceased operation in the Model Rocketry field." Nothing about Centuri purchasing it or that they would start selling Enerjet motors later. The 691 catalog only has Mini-Max motors in it. I don't think the 692 had Enerjets either.

No one's bid on it yet, so for $40 you'd get an original Groove Tube (slightly worn) and a 692 catalog in much better condition than the 691 that I have. And you'd have that interesting form letter that I suppose not too many people got. I'd buy it, but I've sworn off eBay (i just look).
Old 04-23-2020, 08:00 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The first Enerjet motors appeared in 1971.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-23-2020, 09:27 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
for about the next 18 hours (until about 8 EDT) there's an unassuming built Groove Tube (from 1972) with some well preserved Centuri lit from 1969, including Catalog 692 (not sure what the additions were from 691), but the most interesting thing is a letter. Apparently, this person wrote to Rocket Development Corp asking for a catalog, but it was answered from Centuri, and this letter explains that "Earlier this year, Rocket Development Corporation ceased operation in the Model Rocketry field." Nothing about Centuri purchasing it or that they would start selling Enerjet motors later. The 691 catalog only has Mini-Max motors in it. I don't think the 692 had Enerjets either.

No one's bid on it yet, so for $40 you'd get an original Groove Tube (slightly worn) and a 692 catalog in much better condition than the 691 that I have. And you'd have that interesting form letter that I suppose not too many people got. I'd buy it, but I've sworn off eBay (i just look).

Yeah, that catalog and Groove Tube have been listed for quite a while now, originally at about $79 for several months before they dropped the price.

I *did* however note the RDC-related form letter along with the catalog when this listing first apeared and made a screen grab of it because it was a notable piece of ephemera.

I think you are right though that this letter must have been included with Centuri catalogs that were sent to folks who had requested RDC catalogs after Centuri had purchased them but before the first Centuri-produced Enerjets were released. The 69-2 catalog did not have Enerjets, but I'm pretty sure that catalog was being sent out by Centuri probably through the first half of 1970 while the 1971 catalog was being prepared during the summer of 1970, which DID contain Enerjets. The 1971 catalog has an effective date of August 15, 1970 as I recall.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-23-2020, 11:20 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades:

So $40 (+tax) for a Groove Tube in pretty good shape and some period papers.

For the rocket alone, it violates my eBay rule of not paying more for a rescue that it costs to clone it. I figure the clone cost is < $20. Or buy the Quest version.

So, a thoughtful question: does the ephemera really have any meaning for anyone other than the old guys who frequent this site? Does it really have a monetary value? Or are they just recyclables we're having a hard time putting in the bin?

In some other thread it mentioned 1983 as the end of the Golden Age of Model Rocketry. I agree with that. I have a box of similar pre-'83 papers, both my own and stuff I've ended up with from eBay rescues. I realized that upon my demise, my sons would it put in the recycle bin without blinking an eye. That would seem to indicate the actual value is zero.

Agree?

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 04-23-2020, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
I realized that upon my demise, my sons would it put in the recycle bin without blinking an eye. That would seem to indicate the actual value is zero.

Agree?

Mark,

"Value" is only based on how badly someone wants something.

Gold & Diamonds were just "rocks", until somebody found a way to exploit them and create "desire / value" for them . . . In the end, they are still just "rocks".

Arrange for your collection to be sent to Scott, upon your demise . . . Hopefully, many years down the road !

Dave F.