Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2021, 06:21 AM
Aggressor Aerospace

Exactly correct! Two good-sized boxes of 3D-printed parts, to be exact. The seller (NASAModels - he has actually done commissioned work for NASA in the past) offers "raw" 3D printed kits, 3D printed kits where the filling and sanding is done (ready to paint/assemble), and 100% finished kits. Obviously, prices go up as he does more of the work. I opted for the "raw" kits to save a little money. What's a little filler and sandpaper, right?

Some of the parts, especially large parts, are printed traditionally and require more work for a smooth finish. But some are done on a resin printer, and are basically "paint ready" out of the box.

Overall, a fun build!
Old 01-11-2021, 11:04 AM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
That's a really nice model. I never liked the looks of the LES and bulbous BPC, but now that details can be seen with your model, it looks pretty cool. Nice touch with the tiny human for scale too.

I know they aren't going to paint the SLS, but I wish they'd at least figure out how to make the spray on insulation white. That way they could justify a few hundred pounds of black roll pattern somewhere on the thing just to make it look cool. I don't think it will exceed its max payload.

you said tiny human...hahahahah
Old 01-14-2021, 08:34 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
That's a really nice model. I never liked the looks of the LES and bulbous BPC, but now that details can be seen with your model, it looks pretty cool. Nice touch with the tiny human for scale too.

I know they aren't going to paint the SLS, but I wish they'd at least figure out how to make the spray on insulation white. That way they could justify a few hundred pounds of black roll pattern somewhere on the thing just to make it look cool. I don't think it will exceed its max payload.

The latest concept renderings and photos of the actual build have it as being painted white with black roll patterns and they're awfully keen to keep us from using old renderings in any materials we create. I've seen it change colors/markings three times already.
https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/sy...ign-review.html
Old 01-14-2021, 09:20 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
The latest concept renderings and photos of the actual build have it as being painted white with black roll patterns and they're awfully keen to keep us from using old renderings in any materials we create. I've seen it change colors/markings three times already.
https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/sy...ign-review.html

That looks a heck of a lot better than the orange foam core! I've seen a few drawings with it painted white, but I assumed it was done just to create a historical link to Saturn. I didn't realize they may actually be thinking about painting the core.

A black band might be nice at the top of the second stage right below the transition, or maybe black blocks like the 500F. It would be so close to the interstage roll pattern that it might not look right.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:27 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
That looks a heck of a lot better than the orange foam core! I've seen a few drawings with it painted white, but I assumed it was done just to create a historical link to Saturn. I didn't realize they may actually be thinking about painting the core.

A black band might be nice at the top of the second stage right below the transition, or maybe black blocks like the 500F. It would be so close to the interstage roll pattern that it might not look right.

You may be getting your wish again. Build gallery here:
https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/sy...ion-set1-slide2
Old 01-14-2021, 02:44 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Nothing in those photos implied a white core. White-painted composite sections, but not white on the actual core. The cartoon was white, but lots of cartoon depictions of SLS have been white. I'm still betting against it. Painted SOFI (spray-on foam insulation) is just heavy and expensive. Reference the Shuttle Program with one painted ET (or was it two?). The only engineering reason I can think of for doing it would be to provide a coating better suited to mitigating electrostatic discharge. So, I suppose there's a chance!

For what it's worth, SOFI is pale yellow when first applied. It gradually turns more and more orange - almost brown - when exposed to UV light. Bond-on foam insulation (BOFI) maintains a more yellow appearance. Looking at the Green Run booster, I think there's quite a bit of BOFI on there too.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:07 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Just found this picture of a test from this week. Looks similar to the shuttle foam insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  06407944-0D15-4F0B-B13C-AF557337D620.jpeg
Views: 44
Size:  60.0 KB  
Old 01-14-2021, 04:10 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
Nothing in those photos implied a white core. White-painted composite sections, but not white on the actual core. The cartoon was white, but lots of cartoon depictions of SLS have been white. I'm still betting against it. Painted SOFI (spray-on foam insulation) is just heavy and expensive. Reference the Shuttle Program with one painted ET (or was it two?). The only engineering reason I can think of for doing it would be to provide a coating better suited to mitigating electrostatic discharge. So, I suppose there's a chance!

For what it's worth, SOFI is pale yellow when first applied. It gradually turns more and more orange - almost brown - when exposed to UV light. Bond-on foam insulation (BOFI) maintains a more yellow appearance. Looking at the Green Run booster, I think there's quite a bit of BOFI on there too.

Two shuttle missions...STS-1 and 2.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-14-2021, 06:16 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Two shuttle missions...STS-1 and 2.

Earl

Thanks Earl!
Old 01-18-2021, 05:37 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff

It was two ET's that were white... first two flights. After that paint was deleted along with the about 800 lbs it added to the ET. (LOT of square footage means a LOT of paint, plus application expenses).

The only real benefit to the paint is it might help resist UV damage to the foam if the components are outside for a long period of time. BUT realistically it shouldn't be out there THAT long... most of us who've ever used "spray foam in a can" probably have some poking out of cracks in the siding or shed or around exposed plumbing outside that has been there for YEARS and while weathered is still acceptable SO... Paint sure wouldn't ward off the woodpeckers that damaged the foam on one of the shuttle missions that sat on the pad a long time... If the foam is applied correctly water intrusion isn't an issue, and if it's not, paint isn't going to prevent that either...

That's why it was ultimately deleted from the shuttle, and I don't see ANYTHING beyond flashy artwork that leads me to believe they'll paint the tanks on SLS. IF the SLS ever even flies.

Later! OL J R