Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2021, 06:21 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades:

The short version is there were eight N-1s and a full-size facilities test article. Of the eight, one had cracks in its tanks and was never launched. Four were launched, none of which successfully completed the first stage (or Block A) burn. Two flight-ready and the final, upgraded but incomplete rocket were scrapped in the mid 70's. Their parts were used to make shelters for playgrounds and other repurposing projects in the Baikonur area. Some of the leftover NK-33 engines were sold to AeroJet and launched. The Soviets denied the program's existence until the Soviet Union collapsed.

The project itself was ultimately doomed by underfunding which prevented testing to work through plumbing and vibration problems associated with 30 engines in close proximity. Infighting between Korolev and Glushko (the engine designer who refused to work with Korolev) slowed the project. Korolev's untimely death in early 1966 left the project without vision or the political adroitness for success.

The project survived the moon landings as a potential super-heavy lift for a very large space station. The first two launches in 1969 were more hope than good engineering; the last two launches in '71 and '72 were about salvaging the program. A '74 launch was cancelled. The program existed until 1976.

The second launch in 1969 did crash back down on the pad and destroyed itself and the pad. The explosion could be seen over twenty miles away. Amazingly, over 80% of the kerosene/ LOX did not detonate and rained down on the smoldering pad for almost an hour after the explosion. I do not believe there were any associated deaths.

There's a good book on the N-1 program but I can't find my copy. If I find it, I'll edit this post.

You may be thinking of the Nedelin disaster which was many years earlier. In 1960, a prototype SS-16 ICBM detonated on the pad at Baikonur during hypergolic fueling. The explosion offered two ways to die: incineration or asphyxiation from the toxic fumes. The commanding general (Nedelin) and somewhere between 50 and 150 engineers were killed. Like the N-1, this story was only acknowledged after the fall of the Soviet Union.

There you go.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7

Last edited by MarkB. : 12-26-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2021, 06:10 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades:

The book is: N-1: For the Moon and Mars, A Guide to the Soviet Superbooster by Matthew Johnson and Nick Stevens, ARA Press, First Edition, Livermore, CA, 2013

While not without the occassional grammatical flaws, a great deal of really fine work went into this book. The diagrams and back story are fantastic. If you're building an N-1, you need this book.

It may be sold out, but contact ARA here:

https://www.arapress.com/

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 01-01-2022, 11:34 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Smile N1 For the Moon and Mars- N1 Colors and more

Hello!
A friend of mine, Dave Fitch, caught your thread and suggested I respond. I wrote N1 For the Moon and Mars in 2013 with Alex Shliadinsky and Nick Stevens.
I am happy to report that we have just finished the 2nd edition and it is coming in at 550 pages. Jack Hagerty has yet to edit. It should be out sometime next year.
I have been authorized to sell a three-rind binder version till then is anyone is interested in that. It had all of the pages of the original. It is on EBay. my store is KLAATRUBERATTANIKTO.
I would be happy to advise any other details you may be interested in. the color is definitely battleship grey. We have all the spects on the 3L, 5L 6L and 7L versions. There was an 8L, but it was never flown. The technicians were certain that that one would have flown perfectly, but it was already 1972.....
One of your friends mentioned some grammatical issues with our first book. I would gladly see what they are referring to and make adjustments. Please note that we have three chapters in the book that were written by the Russians directly. We translated and left some oddities in the text to show their way of expressing themselves. I hope this is what they are referring to.
Thank you for your interest in the book.
Matt Johnson
Old 01-01-2022, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaatujohnson
A friend of mine, Dave Fitch, caught your thread and suggested I respond. I wrote N1 For the Moon and Mars in 2013 with Alex Shliadinsky and Nick Stevens.
I am happy to report that we have just finished the 2nd edition and it is coming in at 550 pages. Jack Hagerty has yet to edit. It should be out sometime next year.

Matt Johnson

Hi, Matt !

Great to get your input here !

BTW - I have not forgotten you and will start that "proofreading assignment" tomorrow. I apologize for the delay,as things have been a little crazy for me the last couple of weeks.

Dave F.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:46 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

After being out of town for most January, I finally finished the N1 and it's joined my 1/100 scale collection.
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...-Rg&oe=6206296D
Old 02-07-2022, 07:48 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Decals

Let me know if you are interesting the DECALS from my ALTAIRA kit. They can be scaled.
Matt Johnson
Altaira Rocketry