Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2022, 05:39 PM
Craftsman

Default ....

Last edited by TigerHawk : 09-01-2023 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:09 PM
Apollo Nut

Yeah, it would seem logical the kit should be coming soon. Why else do the instruction sheet....

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-13-2022, 06:15 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yeah, it would seem logical the kit should be coming soon. Why else do the instruction sheet....

Earl

Rather odd to be releasing another new kit when half the Semroc lineup has been out of stock for over a year now. Just another kit to join that club. Got to agree with GH on this one.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:39 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
I noticed today, January 13, 2022, that eRockets has the instruction sheet, decals, etc. listed in the “New” section of their website. I’m hoping that means a retro-reproduction will be released soon.
https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-ins...ons-sem-ikv-98/

Clicking on the link now (at 8:30pm CST on Jan 13) gives a 404 error - Page Not Found.

.........Interesting............
Old 01-14-2022, 09:38 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Semroc needs to get back to their original "Bread-n-Butter" business of modern clones of old Estes and Centuri kits. That was their niche.
On top of that, when Carl said he was working on something, the kit was released within 3 months, unless super-complicated like the 1/70 Saturn 1B K29 clone or the clone of the Mars Lander.
I'd like to see the entire SLS (Pro?) line brought back, minus the stoopyd SLS Laser-X.
WITH BALSA cones/transitions; that is a deal breaker if plastic.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-14-2022, 11:13 AM
Dazed and Confused

I have a feeling that Estes would prevent large numbers of clone releases now that they have started re-releasing more classics themselves. It would be nice to see it all come back, but I also understand it just won't be profitable enough because most of us bought multiples of those releases the first time around.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:12 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I have a feeling that Estes would prevent large numbers of clone releases now that they have started re-releasing more classics themselves. It would be nice to see it all come back, but I also understand it just won't be profitable enough because most of us bought multiples of those releases the first time around.

I think tbzep has a definite point - there’s probably only so much leeway and goodwill the Langfords are willing to exercise about their designs and how they’re used. Semroc’s method of making improvements in and generating their own instructions for each kit is probably the way to go that won’t be seen as a negative by Estes. There’s probably not much market overlap between the majority of Estes buyers and Semroc enthusiasts.

Folks either believe Randy about which kits sell and which ones don’t, about his current supply chain problems and about the difficulties maintaining inventory or they don’t. He discussed it at length during his interview on The Rocketry Show podcast. Fortunately, between eRockets, JimZ’s, Ashasta’s, and the Insane Rocketry sites plus the info here in the Shoppe there are very few Semroc designs that can’t be cloned.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:12 AM
BAR

This would be a nice one, my Estes 2nd gen one is a great flier, but had a weak point in the pivot. I expect the Semroc version would address this.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 01-15-2022, 09:02 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
This would be a nice one, my Estes 2nd gen one is a great flier, but had a weak point in the pivot. I expect the Semroc version would address this.

The first gen had a weak point in the dowel that stopped rotation. If I had known about CA, it might have helped back then, but it kept busting the dowel area and I'd keep fixing with white glue. It was retired after just a few flights. Damage likely occurred when it landed, catching the wing and pushing past the pivot stop.

I imagine the thing will always have a weak point in the pivot area. Estes used wood, then plastic. Unless someone designs something heavier, I don't see this kit, regardless of version, as a high flight numbers bird.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:12 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The first gen had a weak point in the dowel that stopped rotation. If I had known about CA, it might have helped back then, but it kept busting the dowel area and I'd keep fixing with white glue. It was retired after just a few flights. Damage likely occurred when it landed, catching the wing and pushing past the pivot stop.

I imagine the thing will always have a weak point in the pivot area. Estes used wood, then plastic. Unless someone designs something heavier, I don't see this kit, regardless of version, as a high flight numbers bird.
Yup, it's the landings that are tough on it. A nylon machine screw has replaced my plastic stop, that's worked well, and has withstood quite a few landings. If it does break, it's easily replaced.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org