Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2005, 09:30 AM
ReBAR Rocketeer

Question Build or Save?

I won an OOP FlisKits Farscape on the Shrox charity auction. When I received it, (Thanks JonRocket for the fast service! And thanks Uncle Mike for organizing everything!) I noticed that it is number 87. I understand that FlisKits only numbers the first 100 rockets produced.

If this had been an un-numbered kit, I would have already started on it. Now I don't know if I should store it away and hope that it appreciates in value, or if I should go ahead and build it. What do you guys think?

Personally, I think I'm going to order a Night Whisper to build, and hold on to this one.

Randal
Old 06-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Old School Rocketeer

Build it.

To paraphrase some commentary I agree with over at TRF.....

You have a kit. If you don't build it, it's just paper and wood. If you don't fly it, it's just a model.

I say take some pictures for posterity's sake, save all the packaging, and then build and fly that sucker!

Later,
EV
Old 06-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Got it bad BAR

Default Too build or not to build?

That has always been a good question but think of it this way. It would be really great to save that kit for maybe some future rocketier to collect and you to make a nice profit on but just how long does a plastic bag, some thin balsa and even thinner decals last sitting on a shelf? Would it not be better for you and that kit to do a really nice job of building and finishing it and showing it off for all to see? If you open it, do what you can to save all the patterns and lengths and a good scan of the decal. If the rocket is lost or damaged, you can replace it. Although only you would know that it is not original anymore the rest of us would be able to enjoy the looks and flights of a rocket that would not be seen that much. Just my two cents.

Geoffrey

NAR 85416 L3 as of 4/2010

"There is never enough rope to do the job but it is always long enough to hang yourself up with problems"
Old 06-27-2005, 12:13 AM
BP Mafia

I might tuck this one away and build a Night Whisper, if only to see what kind of interest might be stirred up in the coming years. I've built every vintage kit I've ever bought, but this one isn't vintage. Yet.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-28-2005, 09:43 AM
FlisKits, Inc.

Geeze, I don't know WHAT to suggest...

my rocketeer impulse says "build it"...

...my rocketry company impulse says "save and and buy another"...

LOL

Oh, I say build and enjoy it.