Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2021, 04:05 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
It would be great to get a scan of this!

I . . . did?

>>SOUND OF CHECKING A DIRECTORY<<

Yeah, I scanned them in. I thought I sent them to you?

Well, plz remind me of an address I can send them to you at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  0126191203.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  1.08 MB  
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-31-2021, 04:43 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I . . . did?

>>SOUND OF CHECKING A DIRECTORY<<

Yeah, I scanned them in. I thought I sent them to you?

Well, plz remind me of an address I can send them to you at.

I thought so too. I searched on the spelling of the kit you used yesterday but couldn't find it. I see there's supposed to be an A in the first name. Now I found it. Thanks again, Stefan!

https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17763
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 12-19-2021, 02:25 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
Stefanj,
Just curious, did you ever get the AVI Nike Tomahawk? If so, do you still have it? I am curious about the plastic transition, if you may have any details on it.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspo...d-finished.html

You might find this interesting
Old 12-19-2021, 05:59 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Stefanj,
Just curious, did you ever get the AVI Nike Tomahawk? If so, do you still have it? I am curious about the plastic transition, if you may have any details on it.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

The Nike Tomamhawk transition did have a mold but the company closed up before a production run of the part was made.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:13 PM
Craftsman

The following AVI advertisement from the inside front cover of the April 1973 issue of Model Rocketeer Magazine shows built up versions of some newly introduced AVI kits including the P-Chuter, Mini-Hawk, Space Angel, Nike-Tomahawk, Sounder, and U.S.S. Eagle. I'm curious if anyone actually purchased and received any of these kits. All we know for sure is that Ellie Stine flew the P-Chuter at the first World Championship for Space Models, and that G. Harry Stine drew up the plans for it. It would be nice to know, if anyone can comment, whether they actually had/have any of these kits from AVI.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AVI_April_1973_MRM_ad.pdf (753.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-20-2021, 11:44 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
The following AVI advertisement from the inside front cover of the April 1973 issue of Model Rocketeer Magazine shows built up versions of some newly introduced AVI kits including the P-Chuter, Mini-Hawk, Space Angel, Nike-Tomahawk, Sounder, and U.S.S. Eagle. I'm curious if anyone actually purchased and received any of these kits. All we know for sure is that Ellie Stine flew the P-Chuter at the first World Championship for Space Models, and that G. Harry Stine drew up the plans for it. It would be nice to know, if anyone can comment, whether they actually had/have any of these kits from AVI.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

AVI released their first bound catalog in October 1973, https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/73avif.html , which included the kits shown in the April 1973 MRM ad, plus, it showed the neat GSE (ground support equipment) that they had acquired from the MPC line, and it showed the AVI line of model rocket engines. After that, AVI stayed in business up until 1979 and produced a newspaper style catalog each year called the AVI Astroport Encyclog. I believe the last one printed was in 1978. See image below.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  AVI_Astroport_Encyclog_78.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  320.0 KB  

Last edited by Faithwalker : 12-20-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:28 AM
Craftsman

Default AVI Astroport Encyclog 78

Quote:
... AVI stayed in business up until 1979 and produced a newspaper style catalog each year called the AVI Astroport Encyclog. I believe the last one printed was in 1978.

While going through some old model rocketry files that I have, I came across some promotional materials for the AVI Astroport Encyclog 78. One item attached below is a promotional flyer from December 1977 that mentions the AVI Astroport Encyclog 78 would have 8 sections and 224 pages, plus the AVI Astroport Encyclog 78 would come in its own cardboard carrying case, all for a pre-publication ordering price of only $6 (regular retail price was proposed to be $9.95). Unfortunately, the order form at the end of the flyer has been cut out and is missing.

The AVI Astroport Encyclog 78 was supposed to start mailing out by the end of January 1978. I'm not sure if AVI made that goal because I also found an AVI Astroport Astrogram 1978 publication that was still promoting the AVI Astroport Encyclog 78, as if it was not completely ready yet but would soon be available, by offering exerpts of the AVI Encyclog 78 in the Astrogram publication to entice orders for the AVI Encyclog 78. At that point, the AVI Astroport Encyclog 78 had grown to 332 tabloid size pages (actual issue was 11 sections - see photo in post #17 of this thread) and would cost $12.95 to order. Cover page of the large AVI Astroport Astrogram 1978 promoting the AVI Astroport Encyclog 78 is attached below also.

It seems that AVI was attempting to do some marketing in order to build interest and raise cash by offering up this large format newsprint style AVI Astroport Encyclog 78 catalog as a resource for, "Unique Products for Space Age Man." Seems that AVI was aspiring to be a one stop shop for all things Model Rocketry and Technology/Science related. Too bad, they did not achieve their goal, because within a year from that publication, AVI Astroport would soon be out of business. So far, I have not come across the actual AVI Astroport Encyclog 78, but perhaps someone out there still has one and can verify if they received it in a "cardboard carrying case."

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  AVI_Astroport_Astrogram_1978.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  849.8 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AVI_Encyclog_78_promotion_flyer_p1.pdf (130.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: pdf AVI_Encyclog_78_promotion_flyer_p2.pdf (143.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf AVI_Encyclog_78_promotion_flyer_p3.pdf (85.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf AVI_Encyclog_78_promotion_flyer_p4.pdf (357.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Faithwalker : 01-12-2022 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:22 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

I wonder how many folks lost their money when AVI asked for prepayment then failed to deliver. Is it possible that there are NONE of these in existence?
Old 01-12-2022, 08:52 AM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRIJoe

That wasn't the AVI kit - it was built from Quest Metric tubes and
plastic parts that went back to the MPC days.

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspo...Nike%20Tomahawk

Scroll down to see the transition assembly.
The transition was formed from cardstock shrouds and centering rings.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 01-12-2022, 10:43 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
I wonder how many folks lost their money when AVI asked for prepayment then failed to deliver. Is it possible that there are NONE of these in existence?

Oh, the AVI Astroport Encyclog 78 was published and distributed eventually, I think sometime around the summer of 1978. Just not sure how many of them have survived to today.

Otis on this forum had one once upon a time, https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...hlight=Encyclog , but he sold it and doesn't have it anymore. I can't quite make out the postmark date in Otis's photo.

It appears that based on the discussion in this thread https://www.oldrocketforum.com/show...21&page=3&pp=10 on YORF back in 2017 that Astronwolf on this forum still had his copy safely stored and could locate it. Part of the problem is that the AVI Astroport Encyclog 78 was on newsprint, so it does not preserve well. Also, the publication was so large that it is difficult to copy or even photograph so many pages.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #468769 SR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  AVI_Astroport_Encyclog_78.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  320.0 KB