Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2022, 01:36 PM
Master Modeler

Default 13mm motor spinner

Already printed, no supports required. Waiting for a combination of city fire ban ending plus nice (not cold) weather to launch on an away pad. To be powered by two A3-4s which will eject after the 4 second delay.

The 45 degree blade angle was chosen simply because it was a guaranteed minimum angle to not need supports. Relative airflow vector may prevent otherwise certain airfoil stall. The combination of factors affecting that relative airflow - upward velocity, RPM and resulting airfoil lift might make for interesting flight characteristics during ascent. Recovery characteristics will also be interesting to discover.

The very sturdy 155mm (6.1') diameter vehicle weighs 36 grams (1.27 oz).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  13mm motor spinner.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  36.9 KB  
Old 02-26-2022, 05:45 PM
BP Mafia

Any idea what kind of altitude it should get? Seems like a pretty good small field bird.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 02-26-2022, 06:37 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Nice. For a few years. Dollar Tree had some Gyro Copters about 5 to 6" diameter, meant to be rapidly "pushed" along a spiral stick, that caused it to spin rapidly and fly with its on lift, till it slowed too much. I converted a few, using a single 13mm engine in the center.

A few years after that, Target had some large Gyro-copters, pulled by a string to spin them up. About 15-16" dia. Great size to fly on a C6.

More info: https://tinyurl.com/55pcw6w3

Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 02-27-2022, 12:29 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I have 79 13mm motors. I bought a LOT of packs for $1 each when our Walmart clearanced all Estes products years ago.

That spinner would be a good way to use them up faster than I currently do!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 02-28-2022, 11:02 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Any idea what kind of altitude it should get? Seems like a pretty good small field bird.
I really have no idea at all, not even a wild guess. Too high of an RMP versus vertical velocity will result in airfoil stalls and a turbulent "shadow" for the next airfoil in line. It could at some point in the ascent even become more like a super-draggy spool. If so, I'll reduce the airfoil count to three and also reduce their angle of attack while keeping the motor tilt at 45 degrees.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:10 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I have 79 13mm motors. I bought a LOT of packs for $1 each when our Walmart clearanced all Estes products years ago.

That spinner would be a good way to use them up faster than I currently do!
Lucky you for sure. This could be a motor burner alright. I had no 13mm motors other than some A10-0s given to me years ago and just bought a 4-pack of the more suitable A3-4s at full retail. If perfected and found to be consistently safe and sufficiently impressive/worthwhile, I'll post the STL.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:14 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
A few years after that, Target had some large Gyro-copters, pulled by a string to spin them up. About 15-16" dia. Great size to fly on a C6.
Since this would be a true motor burner, I've wondered why Estes hasn't to my knowledge offered something similar to my design using tilted motors for spin-up.

Maybe after launching mine from an away pad, I'll find out why...
Old 07-20-2022, 04:23 PM
Master Modeler

Smart phone video of first flight taken by someone else. It went quite high and landed in the middle of that baseball field seen downrange. As I expected, recovery was like a spool - tumbled. No damage to the craft at all. The 13mm A3-4 motors eject from the craft to slightly lighten it for descent.

I'm going to do additional launches to see if it's possible to optimize the design. I'll be taking my own videos next time with a DSLR.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzgz7nk5aih15h6/IMG_2544.MOV
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 07-20-2022, 10:49 PM
I do not like Facebook

Here is one made from a Honda fan blade: http://dars.org/gallery/s4s2001/fanblade.mpg

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 07-24-2022, 09:18 AM
Master Modeler

Next up is a test of a 3-blade version to see if it performs even better because of possible blade turbulence "shadowing" in the 4-blade version.

Even though there was no ejection charge damage on the original version, I've added a vent on the new versions. The pods were moved outward a few millimeters for more spin torque.

I'll also be testing flight safety with one motor failing to ignite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  13mm spinner 4-blade.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  49.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  13mm spinner 3-blade.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  49.5 KB  
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan