Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2020, 06:37 PM
Craftsman

Default Interceptors and siblings: 1250 Rerelease Siamese twins

The Interceptor was originally released as K-50, back around 1971. It was re-released as the K-50/1250 sometime around 1975, until about 1980. Then in went OOP for about 28 years.

In 2008, a 1250 was rereleased for a while. Then again in 2019. Which means that there are 4 flavors of the Interceptor.

This build is for the last two.

Well, actually, the last three are almost identical to each other. I couldn't find a difference between the first 1250 and the 2008 release. There were only subtle differences in the decals, from what I could tell, between the 2008 and 2019 versions.

Since I had already built the first two (see prior Interceptor and siblings threads), and I needed the other two to have their spots on the shelf (and launch pad), I did a tag-team build of the later two Interceptors. I even did real builds from the package itself, and didn't clone a kit that I had already bought.

Here's a picture of the parts from one bag.

In the next shot, I have one of the Interceptors almost assembled, and the other is being glued with the Interceptor fin guides. Actually, with the guides, the assembly is pretty easy. Attach the strakes to the vertical stabilizers and the wings, and then just assemble as thought it is a 6FNC.

You'll see that I have taped off the wingtips already. I didn't want to forget to mask them before I paint the rockets. Because, the pods are glued on after the paint job for less masking. and sharper edges. The same is true for that plastic finny thing that goes around the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  parts.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  258.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  gluing.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  310.5 KB  
Old 12-27-2020, 06:41 PM
Craftsman

After the were assembled, it was a couple coats of gray build up primer to prep for painting. (Oh yeah, this photo was taken before I attached the pokey things on the vertical stabilizers.)

The pods were painted separately,. I painted them with a fluorescent orange. As the instructions say, that is a very flat paint, and the decals won't stick. So I clear coated them right away before gluing them on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  assembled.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  157.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  primed.jpg
Size:  50.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  pods.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  190.2 KB  
Old 12-27-2020, 06:46 PM
Craftsman

One thing I like about the latest version is that they added guide lines on the deals showing where to cut the decals.

This way, it isn't necessary to cut each decal element apart and fasten them separately. Instead, large areas of decal can be applied at once. So, it really speeds up the application of decals.

Speaking of decals, as I mentioned, I noticed only a couple subtle differences with the 2019 release. One, is that the "U.S." was removed from the Air Force FC-803 decal. Something about licensing, if I read correctly. Second, is that the "Interceptor" logo now has the registration mark. Something about licensing, if I am guessing correctly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  registration mark.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  75.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  No US.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  35.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  decal outline.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  169.3 KB  
Old 12-27-2020, 06:53 PM
Craftsman

Also, speaking of decals, since the 2008 release looked like it has the same decals as the first 1250 release, I decide to make my own for that release. That way, I could keep them separate on the shelf (and launch pad).

I went with a neighbor-to-the-south theme, and styled it as part of the Mexican Air Force. If Google and Wiki didn't lie to me, that would be the Fuertza Aerea Mexicana, or the FAM. I replace the USA logos with Mexican iconography, such as the eagle eating the snake, and the silhouette of an airplane against the Green/White/Red bars. I looked at pictures of some airplanes in the Mexican air force, and borrowed other elements, such as the inverted triangles.

Other elements I just translated - or did so however google translated them for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  FAM nose.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  48.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FAM right.jpg
Size:  43.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FAM skids.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  214.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FAM top.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  122.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  emblem.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  158.8 KB  
Old 12-27-2020, 07:51 PM
Craftsman

So now a couple family photos.

The two together.

And, with the K-50, in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  twinsies.jpg
Size:  76.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  family photo.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  85.5 KB  
Old 12-27-2020, 08:26 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Beautiful!

Those decal cut lines are a fantastic addition to the kit.