Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Dazed and Confused

The silhouette makes me think of a mini-Skylab.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:30 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The silhouette makes me think of a mini-Skylab.
I like it for that reason as well. The Saturn IB-Centaur, without the Centaur third stage, could have--with some parts and/or tools stored in the nose section--been a "Wet Workshop" space station vehicle. The S-IVB (as was proposed in the AAP plans) could have had the grid floors of each "story" of the space station pre-installed. Once it was in orbit, and a second Saturn IB--after having orbited an Apollo CSM with some more equipment stashed in the SLA adapter section (as the docking module was during the Apollo-Soyuz mission)--brought a 3-astronaut crew up, they could go about converting the first S-IVB into a space station. The ATM (Apollo Telescope Mount, used for observing the Sun) could have been brought up by the second Saturn IB in its SLA adapter. While the Saturn V-based "Dry Workshop" was logistically simpler, the Saturn IB-based (quite possibly a Saturn IB-Centaur, minus the Centaur) "Wet Workshop" might have been cheaper.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-10-2019, 09:52 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I like it for that reason as well. The Saturn IB-Centaur, without the Centaur third stage, could have--with some parts and/or tools stored in the nose section--been a "Wet Workshop" space station vehicle. The S-IVB (as was proposed in the AAP plans) could have had the grid floors of each "story" of the space station pre-installed. Once it was in orbit, and a second Saturn IB--after having orbited an Apollo CSM with some more equipment stashed in the SLA adapter section (as the docking module was during the Apollo-Soyuz mission)--brought a 3-astronaut crew up, they could go about converting the first S-IVB into a space station. The ATM (Apollo Telescope Mount, used for observing the Sun) could have been brought up by the second Saturn IB in its SLA adapter. While the Saturn V-based "Dry Workshop" was logistically simpler, the Saturn IB-based (quite possibly a Saturn IB-Centaur, minus the Centaur) "Wet Workshop" might have been cheaper.
Also, since the SpaceX Falcon 9 is equivalent to the Saturn IB (having a liftoff thrust of ~1.7 million pounds), it could utilize a single-engine or dual-engine Centaur third stage. Its second (kerolox, Vaccum Merlin [MVAC]-powered) second stage could possibly be replaced with a 14' diameter Centaur G, originally designed for use aboard the Space Shuttle for lofting deep space probes (later called Centaur T, for use with the Titan IV), using either two RL-10 engines or one or more RS-68 engines. While such a vehicle wouldn't look much like a Saturn IB-Centaur, it could have similar--perhaps even better--performance, and its recoverable & reusable first stage would (as was planned for later Saturn I vehicles' first stages) reduce the vehicle's operating cost.
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-14-2019, 09:14 PM
Semi-Pro Rocketeer TRA 10484 L2

SA5 and SA7 is officially released tonight by Boyce Aerospace Got mine on order

Be the first to build and fly our newest kits!
Our new Saturn SA-5 and SA-7 "Builders Kits" are finally here. These kits feature all the custom 3D printed plastic parts needed to build high quality flying replicas of the earliest versions of the Saturn launch vehicle family. These "builders kits feature the following:
• High quality 3D printed ABS plastic parts (Printed exclusively on Raise 3D N2 printers)
• Precision engineered to use model rocket body tubes
• Custom cut vinyl decals
• Complete illustrated instructions
• 24 mm rocket motor power
• Screw on motor retainer
• Display engines included
• Complete list of body tubes, and recovery components needed to complete your build
• Great for display with your Estes 1/100th scale Saturn V and our upcoming Saturn 1B.....all in 1/100th scale!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  20190414_131109-e1555290953256-1024x768.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  104.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Parts Pic.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  687.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20190414_130507-e1555290813797-1024x768.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  109.9 KB  
Old 04-14-2019, 09:30 PM
Wasted away again.......

Looks like some good stuff. I'll have to thin out my collection of unbuilt and built kits!
Old 04-15-2019, 07:03 AM
Dazed and Confused

Looks heavy, but it looks good enough I may have to get one anyway!
Old 04-15-2019, 07:03 AM

Guess the website hasn't updated. Just send e-mail to them at: boyceaerospacehobbies@gmail.com if you want one of these kits.
The Builder Kits are now shipping They can also handle Paypal.

They also will sale the Apollo Capsule separate, which means a nice replacement for Estes Saturn V or 1/100 Saturn 1B or it could be used for flight saving the original for display only. Theirs fits the BT58 tube used by Estes

Here are some of the details of their SA-7 “Builders Kit” once again:
24 mm motor power
27 individual 3D printed parts
Printed exclusively on our Raise 3D N2 printers
Printed in bright white ABS
Complete illustrated instructions
Vinyl decals
In order to complete the model the builder needs to supply the following additional parts:
Parachutes and shock cord
Body tubes (one BT-50, one BT-70, one BT-58 and four BT-19’s all available from erockets.biz)
Standard CA, sandpaper, primer and paint
Old 04-15-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Looks heavy, but it looks good enough I may have to get one anyway!

In a test flight on D12 it went 400' they said. Guess you could set it up for E12 or aerotech 24mm if need more altitude? Might would need to add some nose weight. Where I fly now days, I'm very happy with 400' on a model like that, sure don't want to lose it
Old 04-15-2019, 07:20 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
In a test flight on D12 it went 400' they said. Guess you could set it up for E12 or aerotech 24mm if need more altitude? Might would need to add some nose weight. Where I fly now days, I'm very happy with 400' on a model like that, sure don't want to lose it

I'm thinking the opposite when I mention weight. A light model with that much drag is perfect for demonstration flights on small school playgrounds. The old Centuri Saturn 1B flew great on a pair of B6's and the Estes release flew great on a C11-3. I hope these models weigh in fairly close.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:26 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I'm thinking the opposite when I mention weight. A light model with that much drag is perfect for demonstration flights on small school playgrounds. The old Centuri Saturn 1B flew great on a pair of B6's and the Estes release flew great on a C11-3. I hope these models weigh in fairly close.
Using the red plastic Estes split 18 mm/24 mm adapter, the Aerotech 18 mm composite D motors (D10 or D21), and/or higher-end Quest Q-Jets, might provide good demo flights as well, depending--as you mentioned--on their weight.
NAR #54895 SR