Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Master Modeler

Default Banks Launch

Oregon Rocketry had a members-only launch in Banks, OR today.

I only had a few hours to fly, having a company picnic to get to.

I launched:

CC Express: C11-0 to D12-0. Man, did that move! I would have gotten the upper stage back, but it drifted over a wide creek in a ditch lined with trees and great tangles of backberries.

Semroc Javelin, on a A3-4T in an adaptor. Amazing performance, including an apogee deployment. Got it back despite it being on a parachute.

Skyhook: Clone. On an A3-4T. Another high flight. I can't imagine how this would fly on a B or C. The screw eye pulled out of the cone . . . first time that every happened. Found the cone while retrieving another model.

Sparrow Hawk: A medium-large THOY kit. F40-7. Suffered early ejection; I must have mis-assembled the reload. The parachute was kind of roasted, so there may have been some kind of blow-through as well. Otherwise unharmed.

Aries II: Tiny two-stager, from a 1962 Model Rocket News. B6-0 to A8-5. I built it deliberately "crude," with a balsa staging coupler. It staged and flew well to astonishing altitude. The upper stage body seperated from the cone and parachute; ironically, I got the latter back while totally losing track of the body.

Aero-Dart: Original 1962 version, with no payload section and three paralleleogram shaped fins. Flew it on a D13-4 RMS. Flew really nicely; moderate altitude.

Viking II & II/C: A slight upscale of the FSI Viking II, built with foil-lined 24mm motor tube. Flew it on a C11-7. Fast, high, and stable, and ejected very near Apogee. I've flow this one enough to risk kissing it goodbye; next month it goes up on a E9-8.

On an Olde Timey Rockets not, another flyer had an original Estes Colonial Viper and a Centuri Satellite Killer, which flew fine several times.