Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Default JMRC Launch 13 Aug 05 at MIS

Though the weather crapped out on us a couple of times with short rain showers the winds were light most of the day. Lots of great stuff launched on the High Power and Hybrid pads. My only high power flight was my THOY Falcon on a H238 reload. Kick ass motor, but nothing compared to the Lokis. I think I've only caught one Loki launch on camera. All the other attempts are just smoke trails.

As mentioned in my Cherokee DD launch report thread, I got it launched on it's first test flight. Other rockets I flew included my Estes Sentinal (24mm motor mount) on a D9-4 reload. That's a perfect motor for a 18" long BT-60 model as long as it's not too heavy. My Cox Shuttle America made three flights all on C6-3s. It flies straight as an arrow and the C6 gives the gliders a little time to fly. My Big Daddy flew twice on D12-5s. A perfect motor for that model as well. My old Centuri SST Shuttle made one flight on a C6-3 great boost and harness recovery for the mothership. I've never gotten that glider trimmed the way I want and it was pathetic at best. I only got in one Sky Dart flight. It tipped off badly and ejected the pod about five feet off the ground and blew the nose cone off as well as ejecting the pod. All parts recovered, but the pod was trashed so I couldn't get a flight in on my other Sky Dart. I got one flight in with my Der Red Max clone. That flew on a B6-4 and flew prefectly. My one failure for the day was my Quest Zenith II flew it on a B6-0 / B6-6 combo except the B6-6 didn't ignite. Nice core sample that totally destroyed the upper stage. I think I can salvage the red payload tube and the shock cord. The back end of the B6-6 was caked with debris from the booster, so I don't have a clue as to way it didn't light. It wasn't from lack of the booster doing it's job.

Other notable flights;
Emily Palmer flew a 6xE9 Snitch... twice! Three E9s CHAD staged to three more. Check out the photo!
Mark, Emily's dad nearly creased our hair with a Crayola Cruise Missile. two of the three motors lit and it dipped right towards the range head. It gained enough altitude to deploy with plenty of time to spare. Again, check out the photo!
Tony Haga flew a huge flying saucer on a K motor complete with electronic chute deployment. Beautiful flight!

You can check out the photos I took at;
http://www.cv41.org/personal/gallery/jmrc_8-05